Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2008, 18:13   #16

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Clausant,

Celestialsailor should be responding. I don't know if he's been checking his mail lately.

I just got back from a sail aboard his Ingrid 38 from San Francisco to Monterey Bay with 25k winds gusting to 30 and 12 plus seas. I've never felt safer in a boat than on that sail and I've sailed quite a few. She is not a slug as some might assume and weighs in at over 26,000lbs.

Martin upgraded to a 4cyl Yanmar that pushed us along at very good speed when we had to motor in the Bay. He didn't like his old Volvo. His boat is rigged as a ketch and I would too prefer the cutter. There are plus and minus to the long tiller and rudder arrangement. It is safe and simple. It does take up a lot cockpit room.

For a 38 footer it is a bit small in the interior but we three men had plenty of room and it would have been ok to have a fourth if the quarter berth would have not been used for a refrigerator. We lived aboard for more than two weeks. The engine room was absolutely beautiful with gobs of room.

Martin's Ingrid was finished in fiberglass hull deck and cabin top and sides. The interior was finished by a previous owner. When he acquired the boat there had been quite a lot of freshwater ingress which made some of the backing strips for interior finish work rot away so all that needed to be redone and everything needed rebedding. I would say that would be standard for any boat that has some age to it.

Ferenc Mate features the Ingrid 38 in his From a Bare Hull which is well worth reading. "....tends to go like a bat out of hell (relatively speaking of course)" are some of his words.

Although Martin's headsails were a bit small and a large genny would have made her sail a bit higher and faster in light winds I did like the way she held course and felt solid.

JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 19:22   #17

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
Thanks John - that is great to hear. The more I hear about them, the more I like them. I think at this point my main concern would be interior room. As you know, we have five kids and interior room would be at a premium. But then, deck space would compensate for some of that and storage space would help a lot also.
I had wondered about the ketch vs cutter. I am sure there would be strong views both ways as to which is the "better" rig for the Ingrid. I have never sailed a ketch so I have no real idea of the differences between the two rigs.
The asking price of this boat tells me that there will be plenty of work to do on it, but I think it will be worth it in the end to have a good, sturdy, safe boat.
This boat was built with two layers of 3/8" epoxy saturated marine ply with glass over the decks and cabin according to the owner. We will be going up there in a couple of weeks to look it over very carefully. If I remember correctly, he said that it has a Yanmar or Westerbeck diesel of around 28 hp, but I may be wrong there.
Funny you should mention "From a Bare Hull" - That is one of the first boat books I ever bought. It has been so long since I read it, I did not remember that it was an Ingrid that he had. Thanks for the reminder. I will have to look through it again as soon as I can get it back from my 11 year old daughter.

I guess I missed you in SF by a couple of weeks - I was just down there about a week ago. Sounds like you had a great time.

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 21:26   #18

Aloha Clausont,
Mate' didn't have the Ingrid, he was just reviewing it and the Alajuela in his Best Boats to Build or Buy section. I've sailed on ketches and cutters and prefer the cutter because of simplicity, however, there is a larger mainsail to manhandle with the cutter rig. Double check to make certain that the boat you are about to check out is a true cutter with the mast stepped at nearly 40% aft of the stem.
The Ingrid does not handle tight slip situations very well because of the long keel and it is a devil to back down. Martin's would only back to port or straight no matter what we tried. If there is a good breeze blowing you might only have one chance to make it into a slip.
Happy hunting.
Kind regards,
JohnL
Old 16-07-2008, 08:51   #19

rig

When I was obsessing about these boats I have to admit I dreamt about a yawl cutter rig. I did find a couple had been (re)rigged this way, with exactly the tiny spitfire/useless yawl I was looking for.

(The yawl gets in the way of many windvane installations, but it's benefits at anchor and just getting underway can justify the hassle for some people.)

Now that I think about it... I wonder if a wind generator mast could be rigged for a scrap of a steadying sail... <wanders off to raise the idea in another thread>

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 09:07   #20

Howdy Clausont,

The cutter rig has lots going for it, but for shorthanded sailing, the ketch is the way to go. I've sailed my Ingrid in all types of weather singlehanded and it would have been much more difficult without my split rig. The sails are divided into more managable chunks and require much less effort to trim, reef, and otherwise manhandle. The Ingrid balances beautifully with just the mizzen and yankee so except for running conditions, just drop the main when the wind gets nasty. No idea what the mast height on the cutter rig is but my mainmast is 50ft. I prefer a sailplan spread fore and aft rather than up and down. For me, the additional sail combinations outweight the negatives of the ketch. In the tropics, it's very difficult to get a bimini over the cockpit. Plus there is the added expense of the additional mast...
abigweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 12:32   #21

Aloha Clausont,
Scott is the new owner of the Ingrid 38 I sailed on and I hope he responds to some of these messages and sees the discussion.
Kind regards,
JohnL
Old 16-07-2008, 12:33   #22

Oops, I meant Scott and Leslie are the new owners and hope they respond. They are good folks and will be a great addition to the forum.
Old 16-07-2008, 13:38   #23

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
Congrats Scott and Leslie!
Sounds like you had a great time on the passage John. We are looking froward to taking some time off and spending it on the boat. We will be doing that in August, but not doing a passage. Depending on the weather (you know the Oregon coast!) we may never make it across the bar. But still, the bay is enough to enjoy the time with the kids, have fun, and do some sailing. Possibly next year we will have a boat a little more suitable to coastal cruising. Maybe an Ingrid?

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:46   #24

Has anyone got any info on " Port de Plaisance De Marina, Baie des Anges, Villeneuve, Loubet, France. Is it nice, do they sell /rent. Or can we buy a berth and live on the boat.
Thanks
bleatarn is offline   Reply With Quote