Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2010, 09:46   #16

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"
I'd rather you have a hole in the head above your neck, than a hole in the head next to the galley.
Spencer
Old 19-08-2010, 09:59   #17

Boat: 1984 CS 36
"Her Idea"

Great name!
kb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 10:22   #18

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
That's right...you go boy.....you fix that boat and don't take no for any of the answers... enjoy the whole thing. Accept the time it takes and hang the expense.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 10:27   #19

Zopi,

Congratulations on your new boat. I've been in your spot and know the feeling. The mainsail for the Tanzer is almost the exact same size as a J24 for which there our a lot of used sails out there. J24 sails are great, because they are not competitive after a season of racing but will have years left on them for the cruising you will be doing. The best of luck on the project.
Abaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 11:55   #20
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zopi View Post
BUT I HAVE A BOAT!
Good stuff

Pics would be nice..............
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 12:02   #21

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Congratulations!
The J-24 used sail idea is a good one.
kind regards,
Old 19-08-2010, 16:00   #22

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by zopi View Post
Yeah, I am pretty happy about it..there isn't much for me to be really happy about right now, so the boat is sort of the calm before the storm..I learned how to sail on a Hobie 18 years ago, and have never really sailed a boat this size (USS constitution doesn't count..) so figuring out the rig and getting her moving will be interesting.

I am tickled that she has no inboard..I'm sure I will need to ballast her aft a bit, she has alot of bouyancy in the stern..I bet that will be interesting in a following sea..especially wing and wing with some top hamper...we shall see...

Oh..she has a good Origo stove..tickled about that..not pressurized, and no LPG..not fond of gas bottles on boats for some reason..

What is going to suck will be getting the barnacles off...sea herpes..I picked a live oyster off her boot top the other day and ate it..grossed the PO out...

Does anyone happen to know where I could get a rig plan for her? I contacted Tanzer boat parts but they just lost one of the partners to cancer and are abit out of joint for the forseeable future...going to be hunting for a used main as well..the one I have is toast..

Thanks for the kind thought, guys!
Contact Bacon Sails in Annapolis. They have used sails for about everything and they ship.
Old 19-08-2010, 18:59   #23

Boat: '72 Tanzer 28 "Her Idea"
I had wondered if the j-24 sails would fit...Thanks for that!

The name Her Idea came from my mother inlaw..who suggested we get another boat..used to have a little jon boat...I don't think she meant a yachit..<G>

I will check out bacon sails for a J-24 main..<G>

We spent another evening on the boat tonight, I got the forepeak cleaned out, got most of the junk out of the cockpit, and my middle daughter cleaned the cockpit a bit..I need to get some resin and filler and begin patching 37 years of miscellaneous holes..I have previous owner syndrome..bad.. For some strange reason, on a boat with a transom rudder, someone installed a 36" steering gear..seriously? Now I have a large hole in my cockpit sole to cope with. I must get the 44" TV off of my nav station and off my boat, likewise the huge home stereo system with 50 disc changer...whatta mess.

On the plus side, there are three working bilge pumps on the boat, and I have found four spare pumps tucked into nooks and crannies...two anchors and rodes..

Trying to decide how much I hate the chain locker...might open that beast up and reconfigure the foredeck..no place for a bow roller..

all sortsa wierd fittings I haven't figured out yet..

But I'm having a ball!
zopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 22:17   #24

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
I've had good luck with both Mrs. Bacon's place and Minney's in California. Defender for gear. Defender of course is good. Does your part of the world have any nautical swap shops or at least yacht clubs that sponsor an occasional swap exchange?
rgscpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 07:11   #25

That I don't know, but it will be worht looking in to..Good used gear fits my thrifty (readoor..) budget..

Where are you in New Mexico? What lakes do you sail..I grew up roaming all over NM, and learned how to sail at Abiqiu..
Old 20-08-2010, 14:17   #26

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
inland sailors

Zopi, we live in Albuquerque but sail at Elephant Butte Lake in cooler months and Heron Lake in the summer. Or sometimes we just kayak or hang out around the marina. We have a cabin near Heron, and we pass by Abiquiu many times. Heron, with a surface level of about 7150 feet is cooler and has trees around its shore and is a no-visible-wake lake with a seasonal marina operated by the NM Sailing Club. It's a mellow place to sail. We've also done a bit of sailing in Colorado, Texas, Arizona, and SoCal. The blog, Desert Sea - New Mexico Sailing , has a few sailing pictures.

Some of my best cheap marine buys were in, of all places, the Animal Humane Society Thrift Shop in Pagosa Springs, Colorado, where I scored a "float coat" and a couple of manual inflatable PFDs.
rgscpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 18:12   #27

I have sailed Heron, and fished Caballo and Elephant Butte both...grew up in Cruces..

Haven't been there in years.

The boat will be finalized tomorrow...Then I can start paying for it..
Old 23-08-2010, 19:10   #28

Ok..yesterday, was good...Cruzan, and working n the boat..I forgot how satisfying it is to refinish faded teak...i've got her cleaned up topside, not great but she is no longer the worst looking boat in the marina..she looks like a slightly out at the cuffs sailboat instead of a garbage scow..the neighbors seem tickled.

The trick I used to retrieve the main halyard from the topping lift, backstay, and port shroud is probably worth mentioning, I seized two extendable paint sticks together, and cut the end off a paint roller to make a hook, made a slip loop in the end if some small stuff and taped it open on the hook...standing on the foredeck, raised the loop up and caught the halyard shackle in the loop and extended the loop up the halyard a foot or so, then snatched the loop shut..GOTCHA! then just flip the halyard around the other lines until it was untangled...was way easier than trying to climb the stick..

Got the jib off her and inspected it..good shape..so is the furler..might want a little cleaning and lube.

nice surprise, she has no holding tank...can you say "Porta Potti" Not fooling with it for a bay boat..guess I will use a removable tank for the galley sink and eliminate the head sink..it's pretty useless anyway, and I can use the space..there are two through hulls I can eliminate when I haul her..hmmm..without the inboard, I guess I can get rid of all of them...good stuff.

PO was using a 5 gallon can for the outboards fuel...methinks that will become a few 2.5 gallon tanks..lighter and easier to keep the fuel from getting stale...

hmm..anyone know where I can get a diamond pattern nonskid mold for my sole repairs?

No point to most of this..just babbling about the boat...oh...got the title in my hot little hands..ALL MINE!