Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 12:11   #91
cruiser

Re: Hunter 54 - Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I would take my Hunter anywhere! I've very positive I know more about it that anyone else! And the only modification I would need is to rig the jacklines.

Doesn't mean I would take some other boat I don't know anything about regardless of the "name" on it!

Far as blinking, I have had more results talking to a tree in the past! It was healthy and in full bloom and I tried to tell it that I saw one the other that was dead and therefore it must be dead also.

Far as the Hunter 54 all I've learned on this thread is that some have done work on them and they were solid, that they may have flexing, but it sounds like they we are still sailing. So it sounds like a good boat if it matches what you are looking for in the whole boat package.
Don and other Hunter lovers: Some of us are trying to be helpful to the OP regarding his original question as to the seaworthyness of a Hunter 54. I used to own a Hunter 450 which was a boat near the top of the Hunter line, and a boat which should have had 30 years of Hunter's R&D behind it. It was not up to the task of sailing safely for hundreds of miles offshore. I liked the boat for what it was intended for.... Day sailing and dockside/anchorage live aboard; then we sold it when world sailing entered our plans and bought a more substantial boat.

Watch the video on youtube search: Big waves vs destroyer; then, can you honestly say that if your Hunter encountered the same conditions, that you would survive? Dangerous conditions are out there beyond 30 miles from the coast; sometimes there's no way to get out of the way. There are many well-made offshore boats to choose from in many price raanges... I'm sorry to say Don... Hunter is not one of them.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:13   #92
cruiser

Boat: Slocum 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
What do you think about Odays? the 39.9 perticular..
Listen to Capta and Gpser2. They know...

RT
vtcapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:19   #93
cruiser

Quote:
It's because those of us with first hand knowledge are less creditable that some 4th, 5th, ...... 20th person internet story person.

I can easily accept that some Hunters aren't/weren't good. But wonder why others can not accept that that doesn't mean that some are very good!
Let’s stick to the 54 footer. All are primarily day or weekend sailors. Maybe the owners know better.

With even rudimentary design knowledge, looking at her underwater profile, she cries out, “around the buoys offshore racer”, not Transpac. As a cruiser she is defeated by her fin keel that we all know from previous posts is suspect and her unprotected rudder. Her lightweight, narrow beam on her long waterline length makes for an uncomfortable ride in a seaway. Read Jessica Rolfe’s review and imagine going through 24 hours of heavy seas. I suspect the crew would give up the ship before she succumbs to her manufacturing flaws. But it would be close.

Aside from its thin chopper gun construction, which has the tendency to be out of tolerance throughout this model based on its oil canning tendencies, its problem bulkhead tabbing causing all that “noise” and the keel that WILL eventually fall off, what redeeming design features does the 54’ have as an offshore boat? And please keep your answer in context with the OP question:

I am looking at a few 1981-1983 Hunter 54's, seems like for a production Hunter it will do well crossing oceans.

RT
PS Kenomac also knows what he is talking about...
Old 05-08-2012, 13:06   #94
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
This is a place for objective comments, not personal insults for making your point whatever it is. First you claim knowledge based on being in the retail merchandise business, now it's "research". The metaphor stands.

As to your question, I have taken a stock H offshore. No "research" needed. How's that for "avoiding" it?

Too bad folks with nothing responsive to add except perception feel compelled to chime in - must be the need to sound authoritative.
Considering your advocacy for the facts you failed to mention yacht design and manufacturing. BTW don’t dismiss marine retail sales. I managed Sailorman in Fort Lauderdale for a time. You do get an idea of what breaks being in the business.

Personal insult? Do I detect a thin skin? If so the Internet is a dangerous place for you to share ideas. You will be easily wounded and for that matter preyed upon.

Please tell me, that Hunter you ventured offshore in…. You still were in sight of land… Right?

RT
PS You scolded CnC40Sailor by saying, “Baseless implications like lack of quality have no place here”. To the contrary, are we reading the same thread? Where there’s smoke, there’s fire and we have a lot of smoke. Poor quality has always been an issue with Hunter. Nothing baseless about that, that was and maybe still is Hunter’s reputation amongst boat manufacturers.
PPS Please answer the question I posed to Don Lucas…
Old 05-08-2012, 14:17   #95

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcapo View Post
Let’s stick to the 54 footer. All are primarily day or weekend sailors. Maybe the owners know better.

As a cruiser she is defeated by her fin keel that we all know from previous posts is suspect and her unprotected rudder. Her lightweight, narrow beam on her long waterline length makes for an uncomfortable ride ... I suspect the crew would ...
Aside from its thin chopper gun construction, which has the tendency to be out of tolerance throughout this model based on its oil canning tendencies, its problem bulkhead tabbing causing all that “noise” and the keel that WILL eventually fall off, what redeeming design features does the 54’ have as an offshore boat? And please keep your answer in context with the OP question:

I am looking at a few 1981-1983 Hunter 54's, seems like for a production Hunter it will do well crossing oceans.

RT
PS Kenomac also knows what he is talking about...
Here we go with the spade rudder, fin keel argument to support the contention only full keel skeg rudder wallowers can sail offshore. He even throws in the "keel will fall off" and "oil canning" phrases as though those are factual.

I thought we already put the chopper gun and no tabbing contentions where they belong but here we go again.

There will always be people who like to criticize, some even thinking they have a reason. Proves only that people can rationalize anything they want.

As I've said elsewhere on this forum, which seem to be full of internet experts (in their won minds), I recall no one in the cruising community with whom we spoke during a year in the Pacific traveling to places most of these "experts" never heard of who complained about their boat brand. Everyone had maintenance issues, broken equipment, engine problems, electrical problems, refrigeration problems, head problems, leaks, steering problems, etc... and not one of these experienced people ever blamed any of it on the manufacturer. Some of those boats would surprise the "experts" here that they got there at all!

Fortunately, the critics all seem to be limited to infesting this forum and overall, that's a good thing so we can all tell where they are. Educating them is a waste of time.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 15:32   #96

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Don and other Hunter lovers: Some of us are trying to be helpful to the OP regarding his original question as to the seaworthyness of a Hunter 54. I used to own a Hunter 450 which was a boat near the top of the Hunter line, and a boat which should have had 30 years of Hunter's R&D behind it. It was not up to the task of sailing safely for hundreds of miles offshore. I liked the boat for what it was intended for.... Day sailing and dockside/anchorage live aboard; then we sold it when world sailing entered our plans and bought a more substantial boat.

Watch the video on youtube search: Big waves vs destroyer; then, can you honestly say that if your Hunter encountered the same conditions, that you would survive? Dangerous conditions are out there beyond 30 miles from the coast; sometimes there's no way to get out of the way. There are many well-made offshore boats to choose from in many price raanges... I'm sorry to say Don... Hunter is not one of them.

That video is a CGI, fake. Any person that manages to get caught out in weather like that these days gets what they ask for. That harkens back to the Captain, not the boat. If you think your slow, full keel boat is going to be any more comfortable in something like that, I want some of whatever you are smoking....
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 15:36   #97

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
I know a fellow that has a 84 Hunter 33 , it has only been sailed on a rather small fresh water lake and the support for the mast on the inside of the boat that runs from side to side is busted open,fiberglass and the wood beam are both "twisted"...I have never seen this before but if that can happen to a boat that is being sailed on a small lake no telling what could go wrong on the open ocean without a fine pre-flight investigation and subsequint major repairs...of course this could be anyboat,anyone else have major problems with there boats?Is there a record or file that informs people about boat (specific) major problems? If someone was going to buy an airplane they could go to the FAA website and look at a given aircraft and see all incident reports and aircraft (specific) problems..if this has not been done please do not tell anyone because I intend to publish such a record...and we will call this thread my "Poormans Patent"..DVC

We just completely cut out and replaced the mast step on a Tayana 37. It was totally trashed. There is now a sloped, 12"X12" solid piece of black locust glassed in place with weeping channels under it. Any boat can have issues and unless you've owned it from new, ya have no idea what's really going on under there...
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 16:01   #98

Boat: C&C 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion

Here we go with the spade rudder, fin keel argument to support the contention only full keel skeg rudder wallowers can sail offshore. He even throws in the "keel will fall off" and "oil canning" phrases as though those are factual.

I thought we already put the chopper gun and no tabbing contentions where they belong but here we go again.

There will always be people who like to criticize, some even thinking they have a reason. Proves only that people can rationalize anything they want.

As I've said elsewhere on this forum, which seem to be full of internet experts (in their won minds), I recall no one in the cruising community with whom we spoke during a year in the Pacific traveling to places most of these "experts" never heard of who complained about their boat brand. Everyone had maintenance issues, broken equipment, engine problems, electrical problems, refrigeration problems, head problems, leaks, steering problems, etc... and not one of these experienced people ever blamed any of it on the manufacturer. Some of those boats would surprise the "experts" here that they got there at all!

Fortunately, the critics all seem to be limited to infesting this forum and overall, that's a good thing so we can all tell where they are. Educating them is a waste of time.
Ok you continue to go on about people posting their opinions, some even give you their story, and you call them internet experts. Then you post something like this, in the most nonchalant way, giving no detail in any sort of experience, just your opinion (kind of like your other posts).

You have not said one thing about the hull construction about hunters for example, (which now is mat fiberglass and polyester, which isn't to great). So please give me examples of their fantastic laminate process that would cause me to find my friends wrong.
CnC40sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 16:19   #99
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post

Of course you did. No one wants to admit face to face that they bought a nightmare. Your last statement, “Some of those boats would surprise the "experts" here that they got there at all!” says it all.

While searching the Internet (go figure), for more information concerning the 54, I stumbled across Sailnet and Scuttlebutt with similar questions asked back in 2008. Here are a few posts from owners and the resulting decision made by an OP’er

A.
“As the owner of a Hunter 54 I can answer your questions. Its in Newport Beach harbor on a mooring.”

“Yes the interior room is small for a 54-foot boat. The v-berth is plenty for two people but the rear stateroom berth is barely adequate.
Most of them come with either the original 36 hp (Perkins I think) which is a little underpowered or like mine 76 hp yanmar (more than enough)
Weak points are the plate that the keel bolt nuts go on top of; tends to corrode, and the steering quadrant. It is attached to plywood which tends to rot out and you lose steering at the wrong moment. Not hard or expensive to fix with carbon fiber or fiberglass reinforcement, just be aware.
The dinghy garage is usefull but cannot fit a normal size dinghy in it without letting the air out. Lots of writing out there on forums that this could cause problems in a following sea with it getting filled in, but have no experience with this. But the transom is really useful for boarding.
Got new mainsail and headsail in 2006 from UK sails, cost $10,000 for both including lazy jack system and sail cover. In light winds it sails okay, but once you get 10 knots or above it really starts to move. PHRF rating is 51.
Under power you really need an autopilot. The boat will "turn on a dime" but has no directional stability under power. But under sail I can trim it to be more or less hands off.

I have had no core or structural issues. The bulkheads are not attached to the hull and so in any motion its noisy. Definitely not a blue water boat, but fine for coastal.”

B.
Any reasons to avoid one? Yes, tons of them but You already made up your mind. You didn't like the unvarnished facts posted elsewhere on 2 forum threads you started. You "have nothing but contempt" to all who responded with facts that don't fit your own views.

You wrote elsewhere:
"If I’ve done my research right it appears that there are quite a few of these boats that have done transatlantics, transpacs, Chicago Macs, etc. Thanks to the lead on the Hunter Owners forum I found all but one had positive positions for this vessel. If these are to be believed, and there are race results to back this up, the Hunter 54 is indeed a blue-water capable vessel."

You keep asking, on at least 3 different forum threads now, so you must have reservations, but when presented the numerous problems known about the boat, you lash out.

The other forum threads have told you about design issues [rudder too far forward due to dinghy garage, making it hard to steer off the wind], build issues by guys who worked in the factory in FL, undersized equipment issues, deck flex issues, owners who had to reinforce the mast partners, hull blistering issues, cheap junk electricals, flimsy rudder posts, perko crap fittings, poorly installed and leaking ports, flimsy hatches, "MAJOR CONCERN to current owners!!!!- ALL DECK HARDWARE NEEDS TO BE INSPECTED._Much of the hardware is not fastened well._This should be of major concern to you!! " and "This model has a problem with the steering attach points. They rot out" and "she does flex and make more noise than any other boat I have owned and I find the boat hard to steer off the wind when powered up. Having lost a mast I am out of action for a while"

I'd tell you about the one that pulled out it's chainplates and dismasted going to Bermuda, but you don't want to hear it.

That's a lot of facts to ignore but Go spend your money on it, take your young family to sea in one...you'll see.

OP’er

“Thanks for your thoughts, on the back of strong advice I will not be considering the Hunter 54 at this stage. It was the lines of the boat and its sailing performance that I found attractive, the length didn't really come into the selection process, although the available deck space for family and friends on a Hunter 54 was very appealing. I was just looking for a boat that would be fun to sail, be capable of coastal cruising and was in my opinion, beautiful and when I saw the H54 the first time and the prices they are selling for, my enthusiasm overtook my sensibility. I am yet to come across another boat that looks as good, sails as good, has the space for family and friends and is also 20 feet shorter! But the research is fun.”

Isn’t that the case? Our OP is being lured by pretty lines and a cheap price. She is like a thoroughbred horse. Beautiful, sleek, delicate and good for mile. She’s not a Clydesdale made for heavy loads and going the distance…

RT
PS You never answered my questions….
Old 05-08-2012, 16:46   #100

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Not all 80s hunters are the same. The cherubini designed boats the 37cutter has and continue to be sailed even raced offshore. A guy on this forum I think maybe sailnet took a old uncared for 37 c across to England to sell. A guy on hunter owners has owned one from new 79 I think and races trans Atlantic and across the gulf to Mexico. Boat has been pushed hard its entire life and is still sailing. Did Hunter make some crappy boats yes , but to claim a entire brand as junk when so many are still sailing 30 plus years later is ignorant.
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 16:50   #101
CLOD

Boat: none

I suddenly know what to do! It involves the ignore function. I can do without being pronged into replying to anymore of this this negative hate crap as I'm starting to think this is one of those other forums.

Do please note that I haven't started stating what I think of some of the "experts" boats. Because I don't care what boat they chose to have as much as they care about which ones other people have.
Old 05-08-2012, 17:32   #102

Boat: CS 27

IT'S A BOAT PEOPLE!!! A BOAT!!! NOT JACK THE RIPPER!
Chrisgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 17:43   #103
cruiser

Quote:
I suddenly know what to do! It involves the ignore function. I can do without being pronged into replying to anymore of this this negative hate crap as I'm starting to think this is one of those other forums.

Do please note that I haven't started stating what I think of some of the "experts" boats. Because I don't care what boat they chose to have as much as they care about which ones other people have.
You know what to do? How about you and Illison answering my questions. Your reply is a cop out. Could it be you have nothing positive to say concerning this boats Blue Water capabilities? Go figure...

RT
Old 05-08-2012, 17:49   #104

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

I would still own one....for the right price. But I like getting dirty & itchy & the price I have in mind ain't what the vendor would agree to.
I have learnt zip here except that humans have widely varing comfort zones.
The ocean has no favourites, ultimately it will consume us all.
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 18:17   #105

Boat: Corbin39
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs
Typical thread, just looking for some quick info. I am looking at a few 1981-1983 Hunter 54's, seems like for a production Hunter it will do well crossing oceans. Any thoughts?
For what your investing and what your looking at and what your intended use will be.......a hunter would not be my pick! The 45 I sailed in the stream was scary! Thought it was coming apart......I have a Corbin39 and though it is smaller and not as comfortable at port, I feel quite safe turning it into a submarine from time to time. You need to get a blue water boat to to cross oceans, there are many to pick from! Especially if your going back to the early 80's.......just sayin
Agape39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter