Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2008, 12:22   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
The Aloha should work out for you just fine. I'm partial to boats from Canada myself. If you don't plan to go off full time I think it leaves a lot of local sailing and time to sort out the extra things. I think it's a good idea to have a boat now and sail it a lot before you consider taking off.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 19:17   #32

Quote:
1. New diesel engine in the 25-30 hp range. I was told $15,000 for this, about half for the engine, half for the labor. Is that accurate? A drivesaver and a self-feathering prop were also recommended to me (does 2-blade vs 3 blade matter?). How much cost will those items add?
Minimum of $15,000.00 in the Northeast. Cheaper to go to Florida and get this work done.

Quote:
2. Hot water system. Assume that the present fresh water tankage is adequate. I know that some systems run off the engine with a heat exchanger and a separate hot water tank. There are also "tankless" heaters, usually propane. The boat has a locker for propane, since the current stove is propane. Is there a tankless heater that also doubles as a cabin heater? With a tankless heater, how do you get pressure hot water? Which approach is the best?
Tankless has been used on boats - with limited success I believe, but it's more convenient that having to start the engine when you want hot water. The tankless heater will run about 1,000 - a regular one would be between 350 and 900 depending on quality and capacity. Figure six to eight hours for labour - $750.00

Quote:
3. Refrigeration. There is a small icebox but no refrigeration. There is room for a deeper icebox. I don't care about a freezer, but refrigeration would be nice. Ice blocks are a PITA.
1,500 to 2,500 plus labour - figure another 7 hours - 600 bucks.

Quote:
4. Upgrade electical system. The current system is functional but old. Behind the breaker panel looks like "spaghetti"
3,000 easily - could go to 7,500 depending on how much labour is required and how sophisticated a system you want.

Quote:
5. Solar panels (2).
about 3,000 all in

Quote:
6. Extra batteries. The boat has two batteries. I want to add 2 more. Should I want this?
Good batteries run about 750 and weigh about 100 pounds. you need to have room near the center and the bottom of the boat to put them in.

Quote:
7. New lavatory with hot shower in the V-berth area. I plan to leave a single V-berth on one side, with the lav on the other(separated by a swinging door). I'm told that the best toilet is the Lavac. I will want a holding tank that can be pumped out at a marina and a macerator (to discharge the tank at sea where legally permitted). Would anyone recommend a self-composting toilet? For the shower I will want a sump, but I don not think a separate "gray water" tank will be necessary.
Lots of labour - figure 10,000 to 15,000 including parts
Quote:
8. Watermaker.

Quote:
9. Pressure hot/cold water in the cockpit for an additional shower.

Quote:
10. Good quality GPS/Chartplotter. Any recommendations?
get an electronics suite - 5,000
Quote:
11. Windvane. The boat currently has wheel steering and an autopilot, but a windvane would be nice, as it doesn't use electricity. How do you add a windvane with a wheel? There is access to the tiller post and an emergency tiller.
about 2,500 plus labour

Quote:
12. I would also add a wind generator, to charge the batteries when the boat is moored. When sailing the noise would drive me crazy.
Quote:
13. Windlass for the anchors. I'm told that electric are unreliable.

Quote:
My thanks in advance for your advice.
My advice would be to find a boat that has these things in it already. Repair them if necessary. You will NEVER come close to recouping your investment, and it's a waste of time trying to turn a boat into something it's not.

Good Luck ! Hope everything works out well
Sailormann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 19:55   #33

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Thanks for the detailed response sailormann. The figuures you have given are in line with my research.

I'm going after the Aloha. It's in "sail away" condition, has all the creature comforts and sailing essentials, and I can add the bells and whistles (windlass, watermaker) as I go along.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 10:06   #34
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I'm going after the Aloha.
Keep us posted how you get on
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote