Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2007, 17:50   #1

Hans Christian Yachts?

I stumbled upon Hans Christian yachts whilst looking through yachtworld a few days ago. Does anyone have any insight, views or personal experience with them, particularly in view of blue water cruising and liveaboard suitability?
AussieDreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 17:55   #2
Kai Nui

The closest you can get to a wood boat, without having a wood boat. I think they are great. We have an member here, Michael, who has made a circumnavigation solo on a 43. I will see if I can encourage him to get on and make a comment or two.
Old 04-01-2007, 23:37   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Hans Christians are great sea boats. Good sturdy passage makers. Had a friend deliver one 43 from Saipan to Honolulu a few years back. Only had one cleat pull out due to vertical force overload. Saipan to Honolulu is an upwind sail so it took them quite a time into heavy weather. They always felt safe.
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 00:58   #4

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
We've got pals with a 45 - lovely little ship feel to the yacht when underway and lots of character in the appearance. Not the fastest boat around - but certainly one of the prettiest.
JOHN
Old 05-01-2007, 19:03   #5

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
We had a Lord Nelson 35 which was designed by a former Hans dealer and several of his friends. Long story short, they got cut off when they suggested improvements to the HC33. Have a look for either a 35 or a 41.

Steve B. Former owner of LN35 Grey Max hull # 6.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 07:58   #6

Re: Hans Christian Yachts?

I am going to be buying a boat this Christmas and have looked hard at the HC33. Then stumbled onto the LN35. Trying to make up my mind on either. Just what did you gain with the two extra feet? What is a common problem with the Lord Nelson? Thanks in advance for the pears of wisdom.
Capt Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 08:26   #7

Hans and Lord Nelson are built very well. The early Hans like the 34? 36? are not the same and not built as well. The owner of Lord Nelson yachts was personally involved in overseeing those boats built and design details etc.
Both are very heavy thick hulls, and not going to be great to weather in any kind of seaway. Can be downright frustrating in fact. Even motorsailing to weather you can end up tacking through 100-120 degrees in a heavy 3' chop.
But lovely interiors and solid construction. A few things like those pretty deck boxes and teak hatch frames could have been done better. (the boxes rot as they are thin teak strips over asian plywood which comes apart) (The hatch frames are not dovetailed corners etc, are very heavy and you dont want one to fall on your fingers!) Get one with adequate Horsepower, there were a few with minimal size engines.
For me personally I would tend more toward boats like the Baba and Tashiba etc or better sailing in similar boat.
But you get used to your boat's abilities either way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HansR1.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	430.5 KB
ID:	195984  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 08:54   #8
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

beautiful and heavy boats. hopefully you can find one without teak decks.