Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2011, 11:12   #1

Fisher Northeaster 30 - Aft Cabin

Hi all,

have recently been dreaming of getting a boat back underneath my feet, and came across an ad for a Fisher Northeaster 30 with aft cabin .
Haven't been down to San Diego to see her yet ,but in the process of arming myself with as much knowledge as possible, came across this Boat Owners Forum.
I would be pleased if anyone would be able to share your thoughts on this sturdy looking little boat. She exhibits a lot of character, but I was thinking that maybe the style was a little overkill for So. Cal. waters.

My usage would be mostly overnight offshore sailing, to Catalina Island and such, as well as some transient live aboard.

Anyway thanks for whatever you have to send my way ,and happy sailing.

Jay Turner
20d-jt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 20:33   #2

Boat: Banjer 37 motorsailer
Re: Fisher Northeaster 30 - Aft Cabin

There is a Fishers user group
fisherowners : FOG = Fisher Owners of North America

I have a related boat, I can't imagine the aft cabin being anything but cramped on the 30 footer. And I would miss the great cockpit. I love the pilothouse, I don't enjoy roasting in the hot sun any more than I like being in the cold spray, when the weather suits, with the cockpit I can sail using the emergency tillerm the best of all worlds.
meuritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 21:08   #3

Hi 20d-jt
I agree with meuritt, a 30 foot motorsailer with a tall pilot house and a shortened rig might not be exactly what you need on a 10 to 12 knot day trying to get to Catalina. He's right on the money, the Fisher is a double ender. If you are a 'Conehead' this arrangement might work, but the boat is way too small to pretend it is a Morgan 45.
M8 these boats are based on hard core North sea conditions not the summer 'blonde kisses' near CA.
The reason is why I even answered this thread because I am looking for 'almost' the same vessel.
(I live on the East coast of Vancouver Island, Canada where we have very strong currents, almost still seas, nasty cold weather in Winter and Fall...you name it, I can find a reason for a Pilot house vessel here.
They are also stinking hot in a semi tropical sea, not exactly ther fastest boat on the planet...
Consider also a Banjer 37 (hard to find)
or a larger sized Fisher so you can breathe...and live.
Unless you need a solid pilot house (because it is cold as snot where you may live) consider any fast modern yacht with easily handled sails and put an xtra $5k aside for a full dodger and canvas all around to extend your seasons.

Just a thought from someone who needs to fly to AZ to keep from freezing his nuts off in December.

Best Wishes, Buddy
Trinomite
Trinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 06:20   #4

Boat: Banjer 37 motorsailer

In fact, I do own a Banjer 37. There are two for sale on the west coast of the US presently, one is listed on yachtworld, the other, Pelican, belongs to friends of mine and is listed only on craigslist. She is on SF Bay.

Pelican has a 6-236 perkins and, like the rest of the fleet, a very large prop, she takes the motor part of motorsailer very seriously. I am crewing with them from Richmond up to Petaluma today as they move it closer to home.

Mike
meuritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 07:38   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Jay.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Fisher