Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2009, 08:06   #16

Boat: Cal 22
Mindwip,

If you pursue the smaller boat idea, which is probably a good idea, take a look at Cals. I'm a Cal 22 owner...I look at Cal 22's for sale during the winter to research possible improvements/upgrades I could make to my boat come spring....I've noticed you tend to have a few of them for sale at any given moment in SoCal. I think at an introductory price you could satisfy some of your criteria with a boat similar to mine, all the while not breaking the bank and having something you can resell when the time comes to move up. Cal 22's are fast (fin keel version) and a blast to sail. They have enough area below for an overnight or weekend (1 or 2 people)...much longer would be pushing it.

Cal 22 is trailorable, though the fin keel version is not something I would want to step up and launch frequently. You need help to step up the mast. They weigh about 2200lbs. Tiller. You can not stand up in the cabin, so I am sure there would be some concessions from where you started in this thread, but if you go the smaller boat route, take a look. They are also quite modern looking for an 80s boat. I've had mine for a year and love it....I was in a similar situation to you when I found her. It's a lot less expensive way to have a lot of fun and gain knowledge for the future.

I found this one in Santa Cruz the other day. It looks like a good deal if the bottom is good. Check the bottom for blisters on Cal 22s.

BOAT: Cal 22' Sailboat in Santa Cruz Harbor. Must sell.
NotQuiteCapnRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 08:29   #17

Cat not Cal

I think thats a Catalina not a Cal but still a great starter boat. FWI a Montgomery 17 has more usable space and is a much better, faster, safer boat. Ali
boatyard Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 09:28   #18

Boat: Cal 22
Boatyard pirate,

It's a bit amusing that you believe two of us own boats that we have no idea who made, but whatever...its a Cal. From the dock they look similar to Catalinas and I could see how someone without first hand knowledge might mistake the two.

I guess its possible the Montgomery 17 is a better, faster, safer boat with more usable space than the Cal22 being five feet longer, slightly beamier, deeper keel, more ballast, and more sail area...Having never set foot on one, I know very little about Montgomery 17s and would not attempt such an evaluation...looks like a nice boat though.

..and yes, I think the Catalina would be good starter too, but I don't own one.
NotQuiteCapnRon is offline   Reply With Quote