Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2008, 16:57   #1

First boat, need advice

I'm looking to buy my first sailboat to sail on Lake Travis in Austin, TX and then hopefully move on to coastal cruising. From what I've read the Catalina 22 is a solid start. I would like to find a boat that is ready to sail and doesn't need much work.

I found this 1980 Catalina 22 in Dallas that appears to have a good amount of work done - Catalina 22' Sail Boat & Trailer - REDUCED PRICE . The owner also sent me some fullsize photos below.

What do I need to look out for on a boat like this? How much can I expect to pay?

dwoodland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2008, 19:23   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
This boat is simple enough that most items are easily examined. Don't forget the trailer! Priced right and trailerable it may fit a lot sailing you may choose. You could take it out and see how it sails and at the same time examine all the components for wear and tear. From pictures it appears in fine shape but it's just pictures from the outside.

Boats that appear well kept usually are. I'm you would be less exicted were it not. If you do a little research you should beable to see what trailerable boats sell for. Something like this well cared for could yireld some more good years and hold the value pretty well. Boats tend to require more upkeep than the resale value will yield. The key is using them a lot so you get the fun out of it. if a boat like this fits your lifestyle then these boats have been sailed by a lot of people here.

You won't sail around the world but you sure can have a lot of fun. You'll learn the parts of sailing well enough should you want to jump up.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 13:01   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Dwoodland,
My first boat was a Catalina 22 with a fixed keel. There are several things I'd recommend you check. Yours has a swing keel and I'd give a shake or two just to see if there is a lot of wear on the pin holding the swing keel in place. If it feels pretty tight then that shouldn't be a problem. When you take it out for a sail and you change from one tack to the other and the swing keel makes a clunk then there might be a lot of wear on that pin. The other thing I would check is the rudder blade to see if there is a crack in the seam. With the rudder in place check to see if there is pintle and gudgeon wear. If you can shake it back and forth and it feels sloppy and rattles then the gudgeons might need replacing. Take a close look at the rigging. If it is nice and bright with no "fishhooks" and the turnbuckles look clean with no little cracks everything should ok with it. Also look at the tangs where the rigging is attached to the mast. If there is a lot of corrosion at the aluminum on the mast then there could be a problem.
I think a Catalina 22 is a great first boat!
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote