Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2008, 06:49   #1

First Blowboat! 30' Hunter.

Hello everybody.
This is my first post to the forum. I am a 21 year old college student here in daytona beach, florida. I have found a unbelievable deal on a 76 30' Hunter that is located in key largo, florida. I have been on powerboats all my life and my parents own 3 up to a 45' searay that I am the only one of us that can drive her.
I was looking for some things to look out for when I go take a look at this boat? Anything specific to that year?
The vessel was pulled in 06 for a new bottom cote.
The owner does not like thru- hulls so when he first bought the boat it was hulled out and all the thruhulls where removed and glassed over and rerouted just above the water line. Is this ok?
At the same time that was done the inboard was all taken out and a 2007 15hp merc, 4 stroke was placed on the back on a ez lift mount.
Any suggestions or words of wisdom?
Depending on winds and all how long of a sail back to daytona are we talking about here?
Thanks every body!
scubayachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:09   #2

Congrats on the new boat. Take a good look at the rigging, other then that it should be a great starter boat.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:27   #3

These can be good old boats, but they're, well ...old. Typical issues would be hatch, port, companionway leaks, deck soft spots, chain plates, etc. - not much different from most old boats. You want a reputable marine surveyor to inspect it for you.

Kind of weird, but I guess with outboard power you don't really need any below waterline thru hulls. Probably the Merc will give better performance than the original inboard. However, these boats were designed for inboard power, and without it you have no way to charge house batteries for electric power. You may want to add a portable generator or other charging source for bilge pumps, lights, instruments, amenities, etc. For more information, go here:

Hunter 30_74-83 owner reviews
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:00   #4

ok

I was aware of the non charging because of the outboard. The boat also comes with a 1 year old 1000watt honda gen, to charge the batts, and the a/c as well. I will be hiring a surveyor to check the boat out as well. Any thing else guys?
scubayachts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter