Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2015, 09:27   #31

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: Fantasia 35

How much of an effort is it to remove and replace the tanks, and is this something I could do myself?

I'm not looking at that particular boat any longer, just because I feel like it's been neglected for too long.

Nice specimens have appeared on the market, such as: 1979 Tung Hwa Fantasia MKII Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

and on my coast, to boot, but I can only determine that she's in cosmetically good shape from the photos. It is also a MKII, which is a bonus. The asking price is high for my budget, especially if I'd want to do things like move the chain plates outboard or replace the tanks.

I still like these boats aesthetically, and am keeping my eyes out for a good deal.

In the meantime, I'm starting to more seriously consider smaller boats in the 31-32 range, and more affordable vessels like the Pearson 365.
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 10:53   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryban View Post
How much of an effort is it to remove and replace the tanks, and is this something I could do myself?

I'm not looking at that particular boat any longer, just because I feel like it's been neglected for too long.

Nice specimens have appeared on the market, such as: 1979 Tung Hwa Fantasia MKII Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

and on my coast, to boot, but I can only determine that she's in cosmetically good shape from the photos. It is also a MKII, which is a bonus. The asking price is high for my budget, especially if I'd want to do things like move the chain plates outboard or replace the tanks.

I still like these boats aesthetically, and am keeping my eyes out for a good deal.

In the meantime, I'm starting to more seriously consider smaller boats in the 31-32 range, and more affordable vessels like the Pearson 365.
In case you don't know, the earlier 365's, 76-79, have the not very attractive fake wood paneling. Starting in 1980 there was an option for a teak interior. It is not all teak as there is some white but no fake wood.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 12:09   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The Pearson 365s are great cruising boats. The head design with separate shower is a major plus if you aren't going to be cruising exclusively in the tropics. Have seen them listed cheap and sold dirt cheap though don't know the condition. Pearson built solid boats but with really cheap looking interiors. Whoever invented faux wood formica should be put in front of a firing squad. The interior's work okay but will not get raves about the quality of the cabinetry. Would go for the sloop rigged boat over the ketch. If you get really lucky, they made cutter rigged model with a deeper keel and taller mast that should sail to weather a lot better.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 12:27   #34

I'm actually strongly considering putting my Fantasia 35 up for sale for a fair price. So hard to decide.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 23:03   #35

Boat: Westsail 32

I definitely am not a fan of the 365's interior aesthetics, and as a permanent living space, interior aesthetics are somewhat important to me, but not so much I'll pay out the wazoo for them. I figure it's better to have a solid, safe and room ocean worthy vessel first, and then spend whatever time and money is left making the interior look nice.

For example, I love the Baba 30 interiors, but they come at a price.

This isn't a 365 thread, but why the Cutter > Sloop > Ketch preference?

The fantasia interiors seem nice-ish from the photos I've seen. The most appealing thing about the Fantasia 35s though are their relative affordability, their fat canoe design, and how roomy they are inside as a result.

FamilyVan -- why are you thinking of selling?
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 04:14   #36

The interior aesthetics of a fantasia are some of the nicest I've seen on a glass boat at any price (at least mine).

They are incredibly sea kindly and quite seaworthy as well.

I'm thinking about selling because my career has taken me to an area where its hard to take advantage of a Fantasias strengths. I need to keep the boat at a proper deep water marina, the nearest is an hour and a half drive away, and then from there its a days sail to the nearest sizable lake or a week to the ocean. So a much much smaller boat would suit me better right now, a 22 or 23 footer I could keep on a trailer or a local marina would be ideal.

FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 08:05   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryban View Post
I definitely am not a fan of the 365's interior aesthetics, and as a permanent living space, interior aesthetics are somewhat important to me, but not so much I'll pay out the wazoo for them. I figure it's better to have a solid, safe and room ocean worthy vessel first, and then spend whatever time and money is left making the interior look nice.

For example, I love the Baba 30 interiors, but they come at a price.

This isn't a 365 thread, but why the Cutter > Sloop > Ketch preference?
The 1980+ boats with the interior teak package are much nicer than the faux Formica.

The Sloop/Ketch are the 4'6 draft. The Cutters are 5'6 draft. A few of the later cutters have a quarter berth but that is rare.

Pearson 365
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 14:33   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
The interior aesthetics of a fantasia are some of the nicest I've seen on a glass boat at any price (at least mine).

They are incredibly sea kindly and quite seaworthy as well.

I'm thinking about selling because my career has taken me to an area where its hard to take advantage of a Fantasias strengths. I need to keep the boat at a proper deep water marina, the nearest is an hour and a half drive away, and then from there its a days sail to the nearest sizable lake or a week to the ocean. So a much much smaller boat would suit me better right now, a 22 or 23 footer I could keep on a trailer or a local marina would be ideal.

I'd interested in looking at your boat if you put her up for sale. I'm just outside of Toronto. Let me know!
fireman182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 07:41   #39
B_B

Boat: Fantasia 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman182 View Post
I'd interested in looking at your boat if you put her up for sale. I'm just outside of Toronto. Let me know!
I have a Fantasia 35, Canadian registered if that matters to you, in the Rio Dulce. Are you still looking for a boat?
B_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 18:31   #40

Boat: Various Cruising Dinghies

Review:

https://youtu.be/s_xGgA2uYbg
Ungvar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Asia