Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2011, 18:32   #16

Re: Engine Access on 37-39 Footers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Cheechako/Marksman,

Thanks! Cutting in a hatch is definitely an option.

But from a construction view point, when you cut the floor, the perimeter of the cut takes the load of the hatch (a few lbs more than the floor that was removed) and the stress of people who step/jump onto the hatch. Did you glass in stringers to reinforce the perimiter?

Bill

if you use a freemen style hatch it will actually stiffen the floor. Key is whether you can get one big enough, but not too big to fit in your cockpit floor. Mine was plenty big to crawl through, not sure if the engine would have come out in one piece or not though. Cutting a hole is easy, but fabricating your own hatch is not, why? the hatch should have no low spots to collect water and leak or drip when opened. a little bit of salt water on engine components makes a mess over time. is cutting access doors in the 1/4 berth(s) not an option?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 20:19   #17

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
if you use a freemen style hatch it will actually stiffen the floor. Key is whether you can get one big enough, but not too big to fit in your cockpit floor. Mine was plenty big to crawl through, not sure if the engine would have come out in one piece or not though. Cutting a hole is easy, but fabricating your own hatch is not, why? the hatch should have no low spots to collect water and leak or drip when opened. a little bit of salt water on engine components makes a mess over time. is cutting access doors in the 1/4 berth(s) not an option?
The good hatches I've seen have a large lip on the cover which goes down into a scupper/troff and at the low points of the scupper there are drains. A bit like the youtube above. As well the cover has a large soft rubber seal (not foam) around the underside of the deck.
Old 24-10-2011, 20:34   #18

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

I am getting engine compartment envy here. I think there should be a law that requires proof of contortionist ability before they can sell a V drive. I have a small worthless hatch in my cockpit. The saltwater pump and the heat exchanger are accessed through the lazerette. I am 6'4. Maybe a larger freeman hatch is the answer.
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 20:55   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse74 View Post
I am getting engine compartment envy here. I think there should be a law that requires proof of contortionist ability before they can sell a V drive. I have a small worthless hatch in my cockpit. The saltwater pump and the heat exchanger are accessed through the lazerette. I am 6'4. Maybe a larger freeman hatch is the answer.
You could hire a Dwarf.
Old 24-10-2011, 21:26   #20

Boat: csy 37

my csy37 has a large cockpit floor hatch, sturdily built with gaskets and a drain sill all around. not only does it give me engine access but also access to the steering gear and the waterlift muffler, the racor, the raw water filter, and four bronze seacocks. from the other end, the companion way stairs come away to give acess to the engine, heat exchanger, oil filter, transmission and v-drive. i did have to cut a small hatch on the side of the stairs to get better access to the starter motor.

csy built their boats for the charter business. boats had to be 'turned around' in a few hours meaning mechanics had to have ready access to fix any problem quickly. the rest of the boat is the same; wiring, piping, even winch bases are instantly accessible for service. when we went looking for a boat seven years ago, accessibility for maintenance was a primary concern to me, and it's one of the main reasons i chose the csy 37.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 23:48   #21
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5

Our Hunter 40.5 has good access from the front and rear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020163.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	234.3 KB
ID:	32932   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020105.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	32933  

dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 05:21   #22

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

You guys are kidding me, right??
Those spotless engines and hospital-white engine compartment shots are taken at boat shows, eh?
Old 25-10-2011, 09:01   #23

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
You could hire a Dwarf.
Know where I can find one?
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 15:28   #24
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Those spotless engines and hospital-white engine compartment shots are taken at boat shows, eh?
Hey I included oil stains in my pic!
Old 25-10-2011, 19:38   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Yeah right! A 30 YO boat at a boat show.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	UD_Commissioned.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	406.5 KB
ID:	32965  
Old 26-10-2011, 00:35   #26
cruiser

Nice boat.
Old 26-10-2011, 04:17   #27

Here's a sailboat with probably the best engine access found anywhere, the Cape George 40. The engine is centrally located and most of the cabinetry around it can be removed. The cabinet above it has drawers and storage. The top surface is counter height and can serve as either extra galley space or as a chart table. That's a pretty neat design!

Name:	ForumRunner_20111026_084707.png
Views:	229
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	32974

Name:	ForumRunner_20111026_084749.png
Views:	138
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	32975
Knottysailorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 10:44   #28

Yeah that's cool. My CT44 (Tanton 44) was similar. Had the engine as part of the U shaped galley. Access doors on all 4 sides and the galley counter top over the engine slid down over the sides and was held down with bronze latches. You could get at anything on that engine with the 4 doors and for bigger work, like removing the head, you could take the top off in about 1/2 hour. My most impressive boat ever. That frenchman knew what he was doing.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 12:38   #29

I put up the posting about the Cape George 40 because it is just one foot longer than the 37-39 foot range initially stated in this thread. It's also one of my favourite designs. The person who started this thread readily admits that going to a larger boat would most likely alleviate the problem.
For most smaller size boats, forty feet or less, access to the engine compartment is a challenge. God forbid if you have to replace the engine. I suspect a good many oaths and very colorful language will be uttered when it comes time to do that.
Knottysailorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 16:31   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knottysailorboy View Post
I put up the posting about the Cape George 40 because it is just one foot longer than the 37-39 foot range initially stated in this thread. It's also one of my favourite designs. The person who started this thread readily admits that going to a larger boat would most likely alleviate the problem.
For most smaller size boats, forty feet or less, access to the engine compartment is a challenge. God forbid if you have to replace the engine. I suspect a good many oaths and very colorful language will be uttered when it comes time to do that.
Full keel/off-shore boats certainly have a lot more room down below. And are some what ez to work on. They're a good choice for those who need a forgiving boat.

My boat hates me!

Tags
engine