Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electric Propulsion (EP)
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2017, 09:45   #16

Boat: X Yacht, 1 ton, 40'
Send a message via Skype™ to grjfield
pirate Re: Electric Sailboats Illustrated Guide to Boats Converted For Sale and Tips

1. X Yacht 1 ton, 1989, 40' 12000 lbs

2. What was your total cost for the conversion?
Conversion of motor from diesel and saildrive to electric.
Roughly $10000
$6000 Electric Yacht 10KW motor system, controller, throttle, etc.
$1500 Sillette Electric Saildrive..great deal from Great Lakes Skipper
Batteries 235 AH flooded - 8 - 6v Polar Deep Cycle FLA
Cost of Sweat Equity to replace saildrive and motor - 100 hrs...priceless!

3. Compare the total cost of replacing your old Diesel or Gasoline engine with an Electric Motor. The more you can share with us, the more helpful it will be.
I did not consider replacing diesel as it still works. I use my diesel for expensive ballast at the moment. I may refurb and sell in the future.

4. Describe the process and why you did the conversion.
I needed to replace old saildrive as zincs had not been maintained when purchased. It held on (using JB Weld!) for 5 years...
When the time came, it seems a fun project would be to switch to electric.
Why? Not sure..Thought of no diesel, less noise, less pollution appealed to me. Range anxiety was a minor factor. A bit light with 235 ah on board, but my intention was always to upgrade to Lithium once the price dropped in 5 years. Having said that 235 ah has been adequate for 95% of my sailing. The 1 time I needed to get somewhere on schedule, I brought along 2 gens which I used for a total of 2 hours each...more to test out the range extenders than out of necessity.

5. Describe any changes you made to your battery bank. At what cost or weight added to the boat?
I have 3 - 12 V batteries that will not die that I use for my house. I added 8-6v FLA ($1000 cdn) ..roughly 600lbs..and removed 600 lbs of lead. I have a fin keel so most of the lead is stuck to under floor panels.

6. Describe how you recharge your batteries. Are you using shore power, Solar or a Generator?
For past 3 years - 99% shore power. Used generator once...as test.
I have solar but havent had to use as of yet.

7. Describe how much range you get from your Electric Motor system. Has it been sufficient? What about during adverse conditions such as opposing winds, waves, and currents?
When its windy..no limit to range.
When there's waves, there's usually wind..no limit.
Dead calm .. I stay home :-)
ok..if its dead calm I can get between 10 - 30 miles depending on speed and how many amps I draw.

8. Describe your type of sailing (marina based day sailing, long distance cruising). Does your typical use of your sailboat require you to motor much or little?
Marina based. I motor about 1 mile to get in the bay and hoist sails.
Perfect for electric

9. What motivated you to convert to Electric Motor?

Mostly as a cool experiment! Cost is always an issue but I think electric is the future. Once battery tech advances, I think everyone will consider converting. The advantages are hard to ignore.

10. Describe any challenges you faced during the conversion or later, during the operation of the Electric Sailboat.
Challenges - no major challenges.
I think getting the best prop may be challenging. Because electric gives instant torque, I think electric can possibly handle a larger prop. I'd like to experiment but it is costly to test multiple variations.
Electric Yacht custom built a bracket to simplify installation once I had new saildrive installed. Best $300 I spent!
Installing the Electric Yacht system was like building with lego. They have excellent service both presale and postsale. (I am 'electric-challenged' so this support was crucial.)

11. Post any tips or suggestions you would make to anyone considering making a conversion or purchase of an Electric Sailboat.
If it feels right...go for it.

12. Would you do it again?
Absolutely. and would stick with Electric Yacht. I understand they now have they own saildrive product ..belt driven, fibreglass. I would likely go with one of those as well and forget about saildrive zincs forever!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160525_151323.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	402.4 KB
ID:	146624   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160525_145210.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	308.5 KB
ID:	146625  

Name:	20160525_145125.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	408.3 KB
ID:	146626  
grjfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 18:46   #17
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Electric Sailboats Illustrated Guide to Boats Converted For Sale and Tips

I saw this thread mentioned in another thread.

This is an open invitation to anyone who has owned or seen an Electric Sailboat, to post your photos and information here in this thread to help others.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 18:36   #18

Boat: 1987 Southerly 115

Contributing to the list, no association with the project.

Electric Motor Conversion
Electric Motor Sailing
Advantages of Electric Motor vs Diesel
Electric Motoring
Slovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 18:49   #19
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Another concept.
The all electric, solar powered "power" catamaran. No sails.

The SolarWave 46.

Built as a demonstration of concept. Launched 2010.

Here is an excerpt describing its concept and testing.

"In 2010 Solarwave 46 was the first oceangoing yacht which powered the propulsion as well as all household appliances exclusively by solar. This includes induction cooktops, stove, microwave, grill, freezers and fridges, air-conditioning, washing-machine, watermaker, even the dinghy-motor and the electric motorbike are solar-charged. No fuel and no gas on bord. But a lot of luxury - noiseless and fumeless.

After several years of testing Michael Köhler and his wife Heike developed this unique concept of an independent energy-supply. In 2010 the Solaryacht started a rigorous 5 years sea-trial. They crossed the whole of Europe by river, sailed the dangerous Black-Sea, the stormy Aegean and the Med. This experience of more than 120 weeks was also enjoyed by hundreds of guests and visiting journalists. The functionality and sea-capability of this yacht were fully scrutinised and passed with flying colours. Solarwave accommodated 6 - 8 guests with electrically prepared full board, water-production, cooling and heating. And on top of that Solarwave was able to power the engines - every day in any weather-conditions. In storms of force 9 as well as in calm, with sun, rain, cloudy sky, snowfall and ice. All exclusively with solar-power. During this period of 5 years there was no need for maintenance or repairworks, neither the solar-plant nor the batteries or the electric-engine. The generator, which has to be on board for safety-reasons, was working for approx. 50 hours - primarily to avoid becoming rusty...during the same period of time the electric motors worked more than 2.000 hours...without any maintenance.
This was the proof, that this technology is head and shoulders above all other types of propulsion.
Do you know of another luxury sailing-yacht, that is able to sail more than 12.000 miles in all conditions, only using diesel for approx. 50 hours?"

https://www.solarwave-yachts.com/english/history/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5991.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	260.7 KB
ID:	156797   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5990.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	243.2 KB
ID:	156798  

Name:	IMG_5989.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	247.3 KB
ID:	156799  
Old 27-09-2017, 18:54   #20
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Another concept.
Quadmarine 44

All electric catamaran concept design.

http://quadmarine.com/Q44.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5992.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	404.5 KB
ID:	156800  
Old 27-09-2017, 21:20   #21

Boat: Catalina 470

The solar wave 46 is very cool steady. Im not a sailor, i love the whole solar wave concept hope with time the weakness's get fully developed out.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:09   #22
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Something to keep you inspired. No, it is not a sailboat, but this thread can include any solar powered boat, including "solar power cat" type boats.

MS Tûranor PlanetSolar

The first solar powered boat to circumnavigate.

Name: MS Tûranor PlanetSolar
Owner: PlanetSolar SA
Builder: Knierim Yachtbau, Kiel, Germany
Cost: €15 million
Launched: 31 March 2010

Displacement: 85 tonnes
Length: 31 m (35 m with flaps)
Beam: 15 m (23 m with flaps)
Propulsion:
2 Permanent Magnet Synchronous Electrical Motors - 60kW each (max) @ 1600 rpm
2 Permanent Magnet Synchronous Electrical Motors - 10kW each (max) @ 1000 rpm
Speed:
14 knots (26 km/h; 16 mph) (max)
7.5 knots (13.9 km/h; 8.6 mph) (cruising)
Crew: 4

NOTES:
The 31-metre boat is covered by 537 m2 of solar panels rated at 93 kW, which in turn connect to two electric motors, one in each hull.

There are 8.5 tons of lithium-ion batteries in the ship's two hulls. The boat's shape allows it to reach speeds of up to 14 knots (26 km/h).

The hull was model tested in wind tunnels and was tank tested to determine its hydrodynamics and aerodynamics. The boat was designed to be used as a luxury yacht after the record attempt was finished.

It was financed by a German entrepreneur. Construction cost was €12.5 million.The name Tûranor, derived from J.R.R. Tolkien's novel The Lord of the Rings, translates to "The Power of the Sun"

After an engine refit, Tûranor PlanetSolar broke its own record, crossing the Atlantic Ocean from Las Palmas to Saint Martin in the Caribbean in only 22 days, four days faster than on the circumnavigation trip. The boat left Las Palmas on 25 April and arrived in Marigot on Saint Martin on 18 May The trip led to Miami, Florida, and then continued as a scientific expedition along the Gulf Stream.[12] On the return trip the boat reached St John's, Newfoundland, on 1 August 2013 before heading back across the Atlantic.[13] The story of Tûranor PlanetSolar can be found in Kevin Desmond's 280-page The Electric Boat and Ship: a History published by McFarland Books in September 2017.

More info found at:
SOURCE: Wikipedia: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tûranor_PlanetSolar
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6052.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	157144   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6053.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	157145  

Name:	IMG_6054.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	157146  
Old 09-10-2017, 11:30   #23

Boat: ask the judges!

I have thrown out the Yanmar Diesel of my 25 foot Make 25 and add a Goldenmotor 3 KW (6peak) BLDC. Add some stand stock ball bearings ( hope that is correct translated) to the powertrain wich I build of a double Kardan by myself.
Betteries are 4 60 Ah Winston Lithium Ion batteries with 1000 cycles if unloaded to 0%. So for my usage it lasts for a lifetime :-)
Loader is a Piktronik loader. Thr system is 48V and also supports the 12V system by transfrmin& with Fraron Transformers.

After one season of usage I can say it was a good decission. 60 Ah / 48V is a very small system. My boats weight is 2 tons complete with us teo.

I can run the engine for about 7 hours with cruising speed on our lake (yes I tried it :-) ) after 8 still had 18% left. So compred to the sea I assume that i5 lasts for at least 2 hours with waves and some flow.

I habe documented most of it within my blog. Can be translated into english (works fine).

Linguini - E-Drive

I will add some pictures from the projects...

Short video: https://youtu.be/dTsWoSetk0Q

Batterie Box, save for flooding up to 45 centimeters :-)

Linguini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 04:11   #24

Boat: ask the judges!

geee, sorry for the typos. Did it on a pad and after posting no access to edit the post. Typos look ugly. *shame*
Linguini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 16:04   #25
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linguini View Post
geee, sorry for the typos. Did it on a pad and after posting no access to edit the post. Typos look ugly. *shame*
No problem. Typos happen.

Thanks for adding your photos, they are a good addition to this thread.

Grazie Mille!
Old 25-03-2018, 05:56   #26
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

With spring and sailing season now here in the Northern Hemisphere, perhaps more boat owners are thinking of converting a sailboat to Electric Boat status.

Anyone have a new project they want to share?
Seen any more Electric Sailboats on the water?

If so, add them to the mix in this thread.
Old 25-03-2018, 06:38   #27

Boat: Smaragd. 34 ft
Smile Re: Electric Sailboats Illustrated Guide to Boats Converted For Sale and Tips

Hi, thank you for keeping a forum up and running. Fossil vs Electric. I have ripped out my fossil fuel engine, the tank, tubes, holes, smell, spill, grease, sound, vibrations and running costs and installed and electric pod drive and two lithium babies that are said to be enough to run the show onboard my 34 footer.

I have a folding propeller and it will charge the batteries when sailing. How much...we will see and development has been pretty impressive on that issue during the last 5-10 years. On top of that I am installing solar cells on deck and in the main sail.

I am sincerely curious to hear what anybody having experiences from electric boating or thoughts on 100% renewable boating has to say. The decision to go all in was more of a principal decision than looking at guaranteed performance for me and my boat while using it.

This summer I will do a "climate statement journey" of 2000 NM on 100% sun, wind and water. 0% fossil fuel, 0% shore power. For this idea I have been encouraged and doubted:-) But I see it as an interesting test, and I hope that I can make it interesting enough and possibly inspire more sailors to go electric by reporting the status along the line. With a little help from competent friends I will monitor the energy produced by the propeller and the solar cells...as well as the consumption onboard.

What are your thoughts/experiences on "fossil vs electric" on water?

Best/Bjorn B
Bertoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 06:53   #28
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertoft View Post
Hi, thank you for keeping a forum up and running. Fossil vs Electric. I have ripped out my fossil fuel engine, the tank, tubes, holes, smell, spill, grease, sound, vibrations and running costs and installed and electric pod drive and two lithium babies that are said to be enough to run the show onboard my 34 footer.

I have a folding propeller and it will charge the batteries when sailing. How much...we will see and development has been pretty impressive on that issue during the last 5-10 years. On top of that I am installing solar cells on deck and in the main sail.

I am sincerely curious to hear what anybody having experiences from electric boating or thoughts on 100% renewable boating has to say. The decision to go all in was more of a principal decision than looking at guaranteed performance for me and my boat while using it.

This summer I will do a "climate statement journey" of 2000 NM on 100% sun, wind and water. 0% fossil fuel, 0% shore power. For this idea I have been encouraged and doubted:-) But I see it as an interesting test, and I hope that I can make it interesting enough and possibly inspire more sailors to go electric by reporting the status along the line. With a little help from competent friends I will monitor the energy produced by the propeller and the solar cells...as well as the consumption onboard.

What are your thoughts/experiences on "fossil vs electric" on water?

Best/Bjorn B
Howdy Bjorn! Welcome aboard CF!

I think your use of electric motor sounds interesting. I will send you some tips on how to post photos, as photos really do help folks see installs and newly developed gear etc. Please post some photos when you get a chance. Show the exterior of your boat too, as I think that helps, along with install of gear.

Your idea of a Sun, Wind, Water voyage sounds good (as concept for zero fossil fuels burned, etc.) and I wish you good luck on making it a good statement and a happy voyage.
Old 25-03-2018, 06:58   #29
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I did a search of CF archives for threads about "Electric Motors, Electric Conversion" and came up with this updated list (today) of threads for people to read for additional research on the Electric Boat Conversion issues. Just be aware that often the best content (comments, examples, etc.) is found in a thread with an imperfect (or unclear) thread title. It is a good idea when starting threads (new topics) to make the title as clear and on point as possible.

I will update this search results, with a new post (of a link like below) each year, so folks reading this thread can see more recent threads on the topic.

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...%20&gsc.page=1
Old 25-03-2018, 07:32   #30
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Altena Cruiser

LOA = 64'
Hull = Steel
Year = 2012
Location = Netherlands
Asking Price = Current Price:
EUR 685,000 Tax Paid (US$ 846,318)

Broker's Description:
"Altena Inlandcruiser 1950 electric, built and finished to the highest standard at the Altena Yard/NL in 2011. Spacious interior with 3 comfortable cabins and facilities. Easy to handle with due her twin engines and electric bow- and stern thrusters."

Link to this boat, which has many nice photos. Even better photos than what I have posted below.
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2012...g#.WrezD9FOmhA

Link to Second Ad (different boat? 2011?):
Asking Price = Current Price: EUR 599,000 Tax Paid (US$ 740,065)
2011 Altena Cruiser 1900 Electric Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Steady's Notes
This is obviously not a sailboat, but I think it is interesting as an electric boat. It appears to have a hybrid engine, or Diesel Electric, though it is not clearly described on the ad. It does have two large electric motors (shown in photos).

I imagine this would be a nice boat for the protected waters of the Netherlands or canals in Europe (or ICW cruising in the USA).

I like the nice interior, though it is something I have come to expect from boats built in the Netherlands. I also like the pilot house and saloon, which have great visibility thanks to the large windows, something typical of a trawler or motor yacht. Imagine cruising the canals of France or the Low Countries with that kind of view.
________

Specifications from the Ad
Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:

Specs
Builder: Altena Yachting

Dimensions
Beam: 4.85 m

Engines
Total Power: 100 HP

Engine 1:
Engine Brand: Electro
Year Built: 2011
Engine/Fuel Type: Other
Engine Hours: 826
Drive Type: Other
Engine Power: 100 HP

Maximum Speed: 15 kph

Tanks
Fresh Water Tanks: 1 (3800 Liters)
Fuel Tanks: 1 (5500 Liters)
Holding Tanks: 1 (1200 Liters)

Accommodations
Number of single berths: 2
Number of double berths: 2
Number of cabins: 3
Number of heads: 2
Number of bathrooms: 2
Seating Capacity: 6

Inside Equipment
Heating - kabola
Hot water
Bow thruster - hydraulisch
Refrigerator - 3x
Battery charger
Stern thruster - hydraulisch
Deep freezeer
Bimini Top
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9811.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	167042   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9812.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	167043  

Name:	IMG_9813.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	167044   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9814.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	167045  

Name:	IMG_9815.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	167046   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9816.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	167047  

Name:	IMG_9817.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	167048   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9818.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	167049  

Name:	IMG_9819.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	167050   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9820.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	167051  

Name:	IMG_9821.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	167052  

Tags
boat, electric, Electric Conversion, electric motor, Electric Sailboat, Electric Sailboat review, for sale, sail, sailboat, sale