Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2010, 10:33   #46

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Unless you get rid of the system completely the size has little affect...Except when it comes to the Hull and rigging.

All engines need fluids checked. All boats are sensitive to trim..maybe not fuel but on a 67 footer i bet you care less where the can goods are stored....All boats need seeps fixed or else!.. I could go on and on.

I see the shear size of the hull and rigging as being the maintenance hogs not the other stuff....shoot I bet you can walk in your engine room to check fluids , change oil or put a can of beans on the engine to warm up...try getting access to change both V belts on mine...and the sea strainer's?...well that's just another...

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:46   #47

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Unless you get rid of the system completely the size has little affect...Except when it comes to the Hull and rigging.

All engines need fluids checked. All boats are sensitive to trim..maybe not fuel but on a 67 footer i bet you care less where the can goods are stored....All boats need seeps fixed or else!.. I could go on and on.

I see the shear size of the hull and rigging as being the maintenance hogs not the other stuff....shoot I bet you can walk in your engine room to check fluids , change oil or put a can of beans on the engine to warm up...try getting access to change both V belts on mine...and the sea strainer's?...well that's just another...
Five foot nine inches head room and all round walk up access to the engine
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 13:01   #48

Kiss that good by..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 11-09-2010, 14:42   #49

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Kiss that good by..

I can still remember the engine on my ancient Moody. I had to go and learn some new swear words so I could express myself adequately when I had to do some repairs. Maintenance was out of the question, just too difficult to get at until you really, really needed to. Fortunately it was an very forgiving Perkins that needed an oil change every couple of years and had a tiny fuel filter off the engine in a more accessible place.

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 21:10   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwife View Post
I can still remember the engine on my ancient Moody. I had to go and learn some new swear words so I could express myself adequately when I had to do some repairs. Maintenance was out of the question, just too difficult to get at until you really, really needed to. Fortunately it was an very forgiving Perkins that needed an oil change every couple of years and had a tiny fuel filter off the engine in a more accessible place.

P.

Your my kind of sailor FW.......I don't listen to greenies that then themselves adhere to and insist on 3000 mile oil changes in their cars...darn hypocrites..

Edit to add...My Daughters car has had one oil change in its existence with us...it has 200,000 on it now...the rebuilt trany finally went again...that's the second one the engine has outlived....its a crock!

When we bought our new car I said I would change the oil more regularly...I lied...47,000 and still going...maybe at 80K Ill think about it.