Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2013, 10:52   #1

Boat: Bayfield 25
Deck grip

My deck is dangerously slick and something needs to be done asap. One of my slip neighbors' deck had great grip but was SO HOT to walk on. What product can I buy and apply myself that will provide good grip and not get hot?

On a total sidetrack, how necessary is a whisker pole?
SVStargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 11:06   #2

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel
Re: Deck grip

I have not tried it yet, but I am considering replacing my non-skid strips with Marinedeck 2000 which is a cork decking material which does not look overly complicated to install. Supposedly it keeps cool in even on the very hot days. I should have in place for next season. Then can give feedback.
Old 26-08-2013, 11:11   #3

Boat: Bayfield 25

I was trying to find something that could be painted on, like Kiwi grip?
SVStargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 11:19   #4

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter

Steel decks will get hot in the summer and cold in the winter. I have an insulated steel house and deck and just turn on the wash down pump and spray it every hour or so to cool it off. It is a pain but what else have you got to do when you are a retired liveaboard. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH the joys of a steel boat or any boat for that matter in the sun.
brutb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 12:34   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Stargazer,

Have I got good news for you! We painted our decks with Acrylmeric Sportcote, it is water based, so cleanup is easy; we used white, a whiter white than our paint, and there is a 10 deg. cooler temperature difference below decks where the sportcote is, vs. the greyer white of the surround. The non-skid is extremely vigorous; in fact, I actually sanded it a bit on our transom where we sit to put on our fins before going snorkeling, because it was too sharp there. It's far less expensive than Kiwi Grip, as well, and it took about 8 liters for our 46 ft. boat.

We bought ours in Australia, so I don't know about U.S. availability. It is marketed for use as non-skid in public walkways, swimming pools, and the like in Oz, so perhaps searching for those sorts of coatings outside the marine industry would find the stuff for you in the States.
Old 27-08-2013, 08:13   #6

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVStargazer View Post
My deck is dangerously slick and something needs to be done asap. One of my slip neighbors' deck had great grip but was SO HOT to walk on. What product can I buy and apply myself that will provide good grip and not get hot?

I have seen a warehouse floor coated in a white Sika polyurethane resin. I was told that just before it set silica sand was sprinkled thinly. A really high grip surface. I expect you could get technical advice from them. It is a common solution for anti slip industrial flooring.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:51   #7

Boat: Cape North 43

Kiwigrip is awesome. just redid our decks and it's easy to apply and looks great. we used the grey and it's kinda hot mid day but it looks so classy. sticks really well
BriRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:00   #8

Boat: 38' Pearson Invicta

We used Interlux Interdeck one part tan paint on Scout and has lasted five years with good results. Non-skid has held up and with a flush deck that is a good thing. It does get warm in the mid-day sun but never so hot that it is unpleasant to walk on. I will us it again during this years refit.
Noreastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:33   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

There are special non-slip paints and you can add some non-slip sand to nearly any finish.

In emergency, buy some non-slip tape and use it locally.

I like TBS decks BUT these too get too hot, similar to Treadmaster's etc.

Our boat has molded-in gelcoat diamonds. Maybe similar thing can be achieved post-production?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:48   #10

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVStargazer View Post

A hot deck is due to the color of the coating you are applying not the product itself. Light grey will be much hotter than a white. Even a beige/white will be noticeably different.
I've heard a lot of people rave about Kiwi-grip but the one job I saw did not impress me. Of course the so called "Boat maintenance worker" (BMW) could have been a poor craftsman.
I use either a gelcoat mixed with Cabosil and surfacing agent and applied with a low nap roller. It requires a short learning curve and look good. After it dries, I dust it over lightly to make the surface consistent.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck