Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2009, 07:20   #1

Boat: looking for a 25-30'
Send a message via AIM to manollo3 Send a message via Skype™ to manollo3
Commodore 26 Info ?

Hello,
I might look at at 26' Commodore next weekend but so far I have not found too many information on this boat. Does anyone has any experience with these boats? How are they built?
The price seems very good but the keel has an crack of approx. 12-13 inches. The owner mentioned to get it fixed it would cost about 500-800 usd. I am honestly a little bit concerned about this fact. Attached you will find a picture. Is that repairable without being concerned that something might happen in the future?
Appreciate your feedback to the above.

Mario
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Keel crack.jpg
Views:	706
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	8581  
manollo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 20:19   #2

commodore 26

I have a Commodore 26. I know about everything about this boat you need to know. I even have original paperwork. My boat is better than new, with everything new from gelcoat to sails and interior. It is better than knew and is a fantastic boat.
can answer questions about hot tips and even wheel steer conversions for this boat. am very familiar with the fiberglass construction to say your crack will be no problem. I have never had a cup of water in my boat, ever. this boat is solid
r skillings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 10:35   #3

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
I owned a 26 for about 8 years or so and loved it. Spent many weekends gunkholeing around Florida. Great Boat! I'm a bit concerned about the photo of the Keel Crack. This looks to be at the point where the swing keel is attached.

I am more concerned about how the crack occurred. I would think some very significant event must have occurred to do something like that because the keel of this boat is no light weight, it is very strong. With swing keep up we would occasionally beach the boat for cleaning bottom at low tide.

Strongly suggest you get a marine surveyor examine the boat. A few hundred dollars could be well worth the information you should be able to get. My main concern is if the boat had been dropped from a lift. More hidden damage could be expected and the swing mechanism could be damaged. Have a Pro look at it, get a firm price for repair and make you decision then.
Old 15-09-2009, 11:16   #4

wow... that crack is in the hull? I wold run from that one...
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 12:51   #5

commodore 26

This boat is a full keel, not a swing. Have done alot of glass work in this area myself to find it is very thick. Looks like the area where it is, is at the top of the ballast. you stand in the keel for headroom. the ballast fills about half the keel. A qualified glassman would have no problem, but then again, needs to be inspected big time on rest of bottom to. The only way this happened was either dropped, Or a big blister froze and started the crack. That may be the easy part, I fixed about 50 blisters in mine. Gelcoated, sealed, and bottompaint. never again. Cannot really see blisters until you start sanding. So check bottom big time.
Old 15-09-2009, 14:06   #6

Oh I see, that is the bottom part of the keel, not the turn of the hull from topsides to bottom. I'm with you... water inside that froze? How did water get in there though...It seems strange for glass to break so cleanly .... is it thick but all chopper gun or something? maybe hot lead was poured into the keel degrading it...? hmmm....
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 16:11   #7

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo
I used to own a Commodore 26T. Had it about 6 years and I had a great time with it!!. I lived aboard it for 3 years, (With a girlfriend for 2 of those years)and it was comfortable.I should say that I lived aboard full time, winter and summer, in the North East. On the Hudson River, South of West Point. I loved the boat, but it did get tight with two people. It sailed well, but did have a lot of leeway due to the "box keel" design. The design did allow standing headroom in a trailerable sailboat and was well suited to bay, river and lake sailing. I started out on a lake, and then moved down to the Hudson. Trips from the Hudson to Long Island sound were fun and exciting!!
The boat is well built, and will give good service.
The crack in the keel does look like it is at the ballast line, just below the cabin sole. Is there any evedence on the inside?? There should be a screw out deck plate in the cabin sole, aft, under the companionway steps. (Unless this one is one of the rare inboard diesel boats) Open up the deck plate and see what there is there.....it's a very small space, and may not reveal much, but it's the only access to the ballast area. Di d the boat ever live in the North, where it may have been subjected to freezing? Good question to ask.
The v-berth is huge for the size of the boat, very comfortable for two. I built a shelf over the ice box on the starboard side. (fairly high up) so that I could put a small microwave on it. I also installed a pressure pump for the fresh water to the gally sink.
Hope that you can use the information.....good luck with your inspection.

PS My boat was hull #10, built in 82. They were built in Clearwater,FL.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 16:15   #8

I am hoping to purchase a 1982 Commodore 26. Does any one know any thing about the boat company history, etc? I have not had any luck with my own on-line research except that I speculate that there might be some relationship to the Columbia 26.
Scottjohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 16:38   #9

Re: Commodore 26 - Info?

Scottjohnston,
I used to own a Commodore 26. Had it for 6 years and had a great time with it! There was a thread that ran here back in 2006. This post should bring up all previous posts. If you have any specific questions ask here or PM me. It did not have any relationship to the Columbia 26, but the molds were sold and it was marketed as a Horizon 26.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 28-08-2011, 19:17   #10

Re: Commodore 26 Info ?

Scott, I still have my commodore. Went sailing today. Have original paperwork here and says T26, Commodore Yacht Corp. Ft Meyers beach FL. On the other side it says Nat'l Marketing, Buck Thomas and Associates Clearwater FL. I even got the phone number.
We absolutely love our boat and am willing to answer any questions. I can answer most all your questions...know this boat inside and out. Mine now looks better than new with all new gelcoat top to bottom and black gelcoat hull, and many extras like a wheel
Old 28-08-2011, 19:23   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by r skillings
Scott, I still have my commodore. Went sailing today. Have original paperwork here and says T26, Commodore Yacht Corp. Ft Meyers beach FL. On the other side it says Nat'l Marketing, Buck Thomas and Associates Clearwater FL. I even got the phone number.
We absolutely love our boat and am willing to answer any questions. I can answer most all your questions...know this boat inside and out. Mine now looks better than new with all new gelcoat top to bottom and black gelcoat hull, and many extras like a wheel
Thank you. I took one out for a sail today as well. I have an offer in...will definitely be back in touch if I am fortunate enough to get it. It is indeed a cool boat!
Scottjohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 11:10   #12

we just bought a 1985 26ft T shoal draft commodore..........just love it......we need to buy a new rudder pin .....wondering if you knew a supplier ? we are on anna maria island florida's west coast and this boat is perfect for our shallows............hope you dont mind helping.....pam and leo on the "ELLAS"
gulfdiver56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 11:24   #13

Welcome to the forum!
I had a Commodore T-26 and if I recall correctly, the rudder pin was little more than a piece of approximatly 3/8 stainless steel rod with hole drilled in the bottom end (for a cotter pin) and a small bend at the upper end to allow for both a stop and a place to hold onto the pin when attaching the rudder. In any case it should be easy enough to make up a replacement,
Enjoy your Commodore!!!
PS my boat was hull #10.....1982

Fred
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 28-12-2011, 12:31   #14

Jus recalled......The pin is about 6 to 10 inches longer than the pintles and guedgeons to allow for raising the rudder above the height of the bottom of the keel (to protect the rudder in very shallow waters) This allows the rudder to project BELOW the bottom of the keel for better "bite", when lowered.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 28-12-2011, 12:44   #15

You said it captain..Just wanted to add that the pin slides up if the cotter pin in not in the bottom and thats what usually bends them. It is important to put a washer on first so the eighth inch cotter pin don't get worn. If a Gudgeon is bent..West Marine has them in there 2011 catalog on page 1026. Make sure your new pin is cold rolled steal and have them drill the holes. You can also straighten them to work. I have my rudder locked in the up position, with a pipe for a spacer with a washer welded on each end for wear, the pin goes through this and mounts between the rudder bracket and the top. With the rudder down it is lower than the keel and I didn't like it. Also this was a must as I installed a wheel steer and the rudder has to remain at one height.
I have heeled over 40 deg. and in some big waves and have never had a problem with the rudder blowing out. It is something to think about. You can tighten the adjusting rope, move the rudder up and check it out.

Hope this helps