Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2015, 17:07   #16

Re: Chesapeake Bay Recommendations?

The bay side of the keys is much shallower than the Chesapeake Bay. In the Chesapeake, its generally deep all over except for near shore where it shoals as you would expect. There are many, many rivers and deep water tributaries off the Bay that are well marked and easy to explore. Your depth will not be a problem for the most part, although there may be some shallow creeks here and there that you won't be able to go into.
Eric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 18:36   #17

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelandken View Post
Hi Redsky49
Although I didn't buy my boat for the Chesapeake, I was thinking of spending some time there, since the Baltimore area has been my home for 60 years. My Tayana 37 draws 5'8" and is in the Keys, where I purchased it, at the moment. Think that's too much for the bay or is it that I would have to anchor off shore a lot because of it?
Thanks for any input.
Ken

I would recommend the Chesapeake, even if you drew 9 ft. The Volvo Ocean Racers even sail up to 'Bal tee more'!

I like to poke my nose into the little creeks and bays where shoal draft will be an aid. I can feel comfortable anchoring in six feet when I only draw four feet. If you draw closer to six feet you will still have plenty of opportunities to explore.

By all means, come to the Bay! Best cruising anywhere.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:35   #18

Chesapeake Bay Recommendations?

I have the cleanest 1979 Pearson 365 on the Bay for sale in Norfolk, VA. Can see her on yacht world. Listed with Ron Mclean at Bay Harbor brokerage. Ron's # is 757-480-1073. Give him a call. We have sailed her all over the bay. Great boat. Our classroom. Please take a look. She will not disappoint.
venture1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:59   #19
Eternal Member

While it might sometimes be convenient, you don't need a shoal draft boat on the Chesapeake.

My boat draws 6.5 feet and I have no problems, even venturing far up the many rivers and creeks off the Bay.

Think about it: The Chesapeake Bay has 5,000 miles of shoreline, including its many tributaries. Over 3,000 of these are "navigable". You can spend the rest of your lifetime exploring these and never anchor in the same place twice :-)

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 13:54   #20
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearkeley View Post
Hi - starting our search for an older monohull that we can use the next couple of years on the Chesapeake Bay as we approach retirement and wanted some advice on specific boats, size or features to consider. A little more about us....

- dreaming of a cruising lifestyle in the future...planning to take a liveaboard ASA 104 course and learning to sail / confirm interests over the next two years while we still have our home on the bay (we have very basic sailing experience)
- power boaters who spend most weekends fishing, but after another year of 6k in repairs to our out drive, deciding it's time to switch to sailing!
- weekend sailing this year, cruising as much as we want to when we retire next year
- we don't need a lot of headroom but prefer more light / windows; we are handy but prefer to enjoy sailing over repairing a boat (at least until we fully retire next year)
- budget not more than 30k unless you guys think I should consider more....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Howdy.

You have already gotten a lot of good advice from others here. My comments are influenced by a few things you wrote in your introduction above (see the bolded points). While I don't own these boats, I have considered moving to Chesapeake and have looked for a boat that would satisfy several of my desires (to explore or go gunk holing) and to keep it easy to sail for single handing.

Given the desire to sail from your own bayside home dock and the limit depth at your dock, I think the following boat would be very suitable and perhaps preferable for several reasons.

1. It is from a reputable builder who has built a reputation for quality products.

2. It is designed for shoal draft cruising like the Chesapeake.

3. A used boat in this model (1989) can be purchased for about HALF ($18K) of your initial budget *($30K). This boat could then be used as you learn to sail over the next few years and while you still have a water home with dock, this boat can be docked at YOUR dock (no marina fees). The ready access to your own boat at your own home would allow you to spend more time with the boat and to get on and off the water easily (I assume your house is in a location where you would enjoy sailing from it).

This is not a "big ole livaboard" boat (that fits a limited purchase budget but little else).

As I see it, IF I were a beginner like y'all and IF I had a bayside home with a dock (but shallow depth) I would purchase something like this, learn and enjoy it while you have your own bayside home and dock. Later, if you really enjoy the Bay cruising AND sailing (something new to you) then consider a different boat for further voyages IF you feel this one is too small. But, I suspect you might find this boat VERY nicely sized for ICW cruising and for much of Florida and for Chesapeake too. Once you "downsize" and decide to go cruising, you might find that this boat is all the boat you need.

Also, because the boat can be found for about HALF of your initial budget ($30K), you will have money still in the cruising kitty.

That's how I see it.

Com-Pac 27/3 from Com-Pac Yachts

NOTE: Draft is only 3' 6"

Photos of this model of boat:
Com-Pac 27/3 Photo Gallery

Here is one on the market on Yachtworld for $18K

1989 Com-Pac 27 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

A clip of the comments on this boat from the sale ad:
"Traditional styling, solid construction and a timeless design all combine to make the Com Pac 27/2 the perfect extended cruiser. Her shoal draft keel makes her an ideal choice for gunkholing the shallows of the Chesapeake Bay. Originally designed by Bob Jonson, founder and lead designer of Island Packet, the Com Pac 27 was first introduced in 1986 and still remains in production to this day.

Below decks, you’ll be amazed at the abundance of interior space. Remarkable head room and a well designed layout make this 27-footer feel much larger than she is. She’s designed to sleep six with opposing settees in the salon that convert to double bunk berths port and starboard while the roomy v-berth provides private sleeping quarters for two. A fully enclosed head compartment is amidships to starboard opposite the fully equipped galley to port at the base of the companionway. Com Pac’s use of woods throughout, including the teak and holly soles and solid headliner give her an elegant look. With her eight opening brass ports, two deck vents and two large opening hatches, ventilation is a…breeze!

Topsides the Com Pac 27/2 is easy to move about. Her uncluttered wide side decks, lifelines and full length teak hand-holds make her safe to get to and work the foredeck under any conditions. With her roller-furling genoa, all handling lines leading aft and wheel steering, she’s a cinch to single-hand. Whether you’re new to sailing or a seasoned expert, you’ll surely appreciate her agility and stability whether in a strong blow or a gentle bay breeze. …she was designed for comfortable, safe handling and cruising…which she does beautifully.

(Located in Chesapeake.)
She’s is seriously for sale."
Notice that last line. Sounds like time to visit it and see about negotiating with the owner to find it a new bayside home.

I am also attaching two photos of the Com-Pac 27. Nice looking boat for the size.

And I am adding 4 photos of a different model the "Horizon Cat" by Com-Pac. It is shorter at 20 feet LOA and is able to be trailered. That is something to consider. It is very roomy in the cabin and I think it would be a lot of fun for exploring the ICW and shallow water areas of Florida, the Carolinas, Georgia Sea Islands, Keys, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	COM-PAC 27 1989  $18K Sailing.jpg
Views:	646
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	101873   Click image for larger version

Name:	COM-PAC 27 1989  $18K Sailing 2.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	101874  

Name:	Com-Pac Horizon Cat.png
Views:	137
Size:	279.4 KB
ID:	101875   Click image for larger version

Name:	Com-Pac Horizon Cat cabin.png
Views:	529
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	101876  

Name:	Com-Pac Horizon Cat Cabin2.png
Views:	608
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	101877   Click image for larger version

Name:	Com-Pac Horizon Cat Heeling.png
Views:	161
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	101878  

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 16:50   #21

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
While it might sometimes be convenient, you don't need a shoal draft boat on the Chesapeake.

My boat draws 6.5 feet and I have no problems, even venturing far up the many rivers and creeks off the Bay.

Think about it: The Chesapeake Bay has 5,000 miles of shoreline, including its many tributaries. Over 3,000 of these are "navigable". You can spend the rest of your lifetime exploring these and never anchor in the same place twice :-)

Bill

I agree entirely. 6.5 feet will still allow you access to 97% of the Bay. Four feet or less gains you another per cent. Not to worry.

I am not familiar with the Com Pac 27, though I have seen the smaller 23. Nice boats. Bet you could get the one mentioned above for $15K. Teak looks rough topside, but I would guess is still salvageable. Would be a nice starter boat for a small investment. A little sweat equity would co a long way. And remember, everything is negotiable
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 17:54   #22

Boat: Carter offshore 35

Check out the NonSuch
DeborahLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 19:41   #23

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

I have a 1990 hunter legend 37.5. Draft is 4.5 feet, and height is 59 ft. She fits under the Kent narrows fixed bridge. She is light displacement 16,000 pounds with fuel and water. We sail in the light Chesapeake winds, and in the heavy winds. For the light winds I have an asym in a sock. Fits my family of five and two dogs. The thing about the two hunters I have owned.....very liveable below, and good coastal cruisers. I have been in snotty weather and seas and we were comfortable with appropriate sail tactics. She doesn't sway much at anchor.

Ben

Ben Solomon
S/V Dawn 1990 37.5 hunter legend
Rock Hall, Maryland
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 04:57   #24

Boat: Tartan 4100

Obviously, there are many, many choices out there and your price range is manageable. I would agree with the much of what is already said but would like to emphasize using a broker who is knowledgeable and not worried about commission on 30K. An experienced broker who knows the market and what's a good buy will be worth it plus they handle the closing and possibly set you up with a financing company if you need it.

All that being said, you need to look for a design that suits your needs and one that "speaks" to you. You'll know it when you step aboard and it will feel right. A good design should do this. In your parameters, something like a Tartan 34 in good condition, or a Pearson 365 would be a good place to start.

Just went on YW and found this Tartan 37(could be a good buy if it isn't in too bad of condition):
1977 Tartan CB Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Good luck!
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chesapeake bay, men