Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2013, 16:03   #1

Cheoy Lee 35 and surveyor in QLD, Aus?

Hi, We're thinking seriously of buying a Cheoy Lee 35 (Robert Perry design). Does anyone have any thoughts on this boat. I have been to the Cheoy Lee site but searching is problematic. It's a very pretty boat but of course old. Obviously teak decks etc but any thing else I could check or something about the design which would put me off?

Also does anyone know of a good surveyor in south east Queensland?

Thanks anyone
Warby12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 06:02   #2

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC
Re: Cheoy Lee 35 and surveyor in QLD, Aus?

My wife and I bought a Cheoy Lee 47 this year and found that there are not a lot of Cheoy Lee owners on most of the popular sites, I did however use the Cheoy Lee owners site to contact several owners of the model we were looking at to get their perspective. I did get some useful feedback.
If you go into the listings there, many of the owners of the particular models listed will have an email address listed as well, I found emailing the owners directly brought me several replies with specific information. It's worth a try. Yes, the owners will be biased, but will also have a good feel for the strengths and weaknesses of the particular model.
Depending on what part of the world their in and their access to email it might take a few days to get a reply. You can also post on that site.
When I joined the Cheoy Lee owners group the factory sent me the original sales brochure and sales information for my model, it was a nice touch and also listed the original available options for that model.
I haven't ripped into the refit on mine yet but will be soon enough.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2013, 05:18   #3

Thanks mr Reilly! If we do succeed in grabbing this boat I will join up. Just playing the waiting game right now on price. Hope it works out though, haven't had a boat for ten years so m pretty excited
Old 25-12-2013, 05:48   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cheoy Lee 35 and surveyor in QLD, Aus?

Nearly bought one in 2000.. sadly when I got to St Martin the beautiful clipper in the picture with gleaming bright work had transformed itself into dried out teak decks and 6ft streamers of peeling varnish flying from its masts...
so I bought something else..
Always have loved the look.. and every owner of one seems to love em... except the above..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2013, 15:11   #5

Yeah I'm worried about the teak decks too, they are ok now but I am combing the forum for info on removing, looking for some of Mineret's handy work and trying to get my head around the process. Would be awful to get it wrong
Old 26-12-2013, 07:48   #6

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Yeah, teak decks can be a handful, if the deck underneath is in good shape and the original teak is good I'd stay with it until your fully ready to peel it away.
I'm not familiar with the 35 but on the 47 the teak is laid over the fiberglass deck, on the one we purchased there were only a couple damp spots in the deck, nothing too disturbing. It would be a matter of removing the teak and filling the screw holes with an appropriate thickened epoxy, then taping off and painting the deck with a nonskid finish. Being the detail nut job I am I'll probably spray a coat of gelcoat on first, then the nonskid.
For now I'm re-sealing the seams in the teak with Sikaflex and replacing the missing teak bungs on the screw holes since the existing teak is serviceable but I do know I'll probably be getting rid of it within a few years before we step off for an extended period of time.
Depends on what you find and how much you feel like doing.
Otherwise I am impressed with the design and execution of the yacht, no complaints about the solid nature or sailing characteristics so far.
Good luck, look at it with a critical eye, teak decks that have been maintained are nice, those that haven't are a pain in the ass.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 23:06   #7

Boat: Cheoy Lee Perry 35

We've just made an offer on a Cheoy Lee 35 for sale in Sydney. Are you going ahead with your purchase? If we buy them we should keep in touch.
Tiger47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 15:03   #8

Hi Tiger, No they didn't accept our offer, they then received a higher offer which then fell through Shame I think it's a really lovely boat. We now have an contract on a Wauquiez Amphitrite 43, going for a test sail tomorrow

Good luck with the Perry !
Old 12-01-2014, 15:24   #9

Boat: Cheoy Lee Perry 35

Hi Warby
Sorry you missed the Cheoy Lee but the Wauquiez looks like a great boat.
Our offer has been accepted and we're getting a survey this week.
Happy sailing!
Tiger47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 21:30   #10

Looks like we both might be in boats soon
Old 15-01-2014, 07:09   #11

Bob Perry, my friend, would be happy to talk to you but he was banned for life on this forum.
snaggletooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 01:36   #12

Boat: Duncanson 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggletooth View Post
Bob Perry, my friend, would be happy to talk to you but he was banned for life on this forum.
How do you get banned for life?
southace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 08:43   #13

It seems that Mr. Perry was trying to promote the scholarship fund for his son, Spike, who had just died and the moderators did not like the way he was going about it and they objected. So Mr. Perry, as is his typical Australian style, gave them a good piece of his mind. He was very blunt. Then he was gone. But you can still find him on Sailing Anarchy on the Cruising Anarchy forums. He's still blunt.
Old 21-01-2014, 08:52   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggletooth View Post
It seems that Mr. Perry was trying to promote the scholarship fund for his son, Spike, who had just died and the moderators did not like the way he was going about it and they objected. So Mr. Perry, as is his typical Australian style, gave them a good piece of his mind. He was very blunt. Then he was gone. But you can still find him on Sailing Anarchy on the Cruising Anarchy forums. He's still blunt.

Thats a shame, I love most of his boat designs, cant everyone kiss and make up?
pablothesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 09:02   #15

Pablo:
I don't think that will happen. Mr. Perry has been quite honest on CA about the fact that he was very rude to the moderators and he actually tried to be rude. So he takes full responsability for his own banning. At the time this happened he was still very much in shock over the death of his son and not one to be trifled with. He seems to be very much at home and comfortable in the rough and tumble world of Sailing Anarchy where his candor is appreciated.

Tags
cheoy lee, survey, surveyor