Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2014, 09:03   #1

Boat: Catalina 30
Canadian buying in the US?

Hello, are there any fellow Canuk's on here who could advise whether purchasing boats in the US is a worthwhile venture? Im interested in learning what hoops need be jumped through and what pitfalls to avoid. Any info would bemost appreciated. Im considering purchasng on the east coast and sailing back to Nova Scotia....Many thanks
Peter
Peters Wet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2014, 09:19   #2

Re: Canadian buying in the US?

A good summary. A writeup from a broker that ends up referring to the first link.
... and the government's take .

(Tons of hits on Google for this)

Watch out for 'storm boats'. These are boats that were in a hurricane or coastal storm, and for one reason or other have been written off by the previous owner's insurer. I don't myself know how to determine this before purchase. Also, a boat that spent most of its life on the coast, then is suddenly for sale at a port in the Great Lakes is something to be investigated, as it's widely acknowledged that a boat on the Great Lakes usually has an easier life and should command a higher price.

If the boat's sound and paperwork is in order, the next biggest concern is the sales tax. YOU WILL PAY sales tax on the total purchase price - it will be GST + PST, or the blended HST, depending on your province.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2014, 09:30   #3

Boat: Rafiki 37

We bought in the US and imported back to Canada. No problem at all. The only thing is to make sure a US documented boat (equivalent to our Registered status) is UNdocumented. It's a simple form that needs to be submitted to the US authority (USCG... I forget who Documents boats in the US).

As LE says, be prepared to pay HST on your import price. Obviously you'll need the bill of sale and sales contract. NOTE, if the boat was built outside of North America you may also be charged an additional 9.5% import duty.

Why go fast, when you can go slow
Old 13-09-2014, 10:42   #4

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

I thought of doing this, mostly due to the huge price difference. Most boats around here just seem to be over priced. However when you have cash in hand it has been my experience prices come way down.
Old 13-09-2014, 11:11   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peters Wet View Post
Hello, are there any fellow Canuk's on here who could advise whether purchasing boats in the US is a worthwhile venture? Im interested in learning what hoops need be jumped through and what pitfalls to avoid. Any info would bemost appreciated. Im considering purchasng on the east coast and sailing back to Nova Scotia....Many thanks
Peter
It's a worthwhile venture if you find the boat you want at a price agreeable to you. Really no different from buying a boat in Canada except that you will have to pay duty (the HST is a given)if it's not a US or Canadian built boat.

It's pretty straightforward but I would start looking at home because if you want to look at boats on the "east coast" you'll have to do a lot of travelling. A lot of miles to cover on the east coast.
Old 13-09-2014, 11:31   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Peter
There really is no problem at all. I bought mine, but am leaving it in Florida, as it is pretty hard to sail it back to Alberta.

You will have to pay duty on the purchase price as soon as you enter the first Canadian port for clearing into the country.
Old 13-09-2014, 20:52   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post

You will have to pay duty on the purchase price as soon as you enter the first Canadian port for clearing into the country.
No duty if built in North America, as already posted. Hst or Gst + provincial depending on province will have to be paid.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2014, 09:33   #8

Boat: Endeavour 42

I bought a boat in Charleston this past December and sailed it back to Nova Scotia in May. No hassles, no big deal. Customs will collect the HST when you arrive.
courish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2014, 14:18   #9

Thanks for the replies, I've noticed folks mention having boat and sundries listed independently on a bill of sale, Is this a sales tax deduction strategy ?

Sent from my Arc using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 14-09-2014, 19:16   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Thanks for the replies, I've noticed folks mention having boat and sundries listed independently on a bill of sale, Is this a sales tax deduction strategy ?

I assume you mean reduction and yes, absolutely.

As mentioned, and I gave the link to it, the strategy is in fact endorsed by the Florida DMV which surprised the heck out of me. It applies only to private sale unless you have a very friendly broker.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 15-09-2014, 05:06   #11

Boat: Rafiki 37

I'm confused how this would result in a tax deduction. Whatever you import into Canada gets hit with HST or GST/PST. Separating boat from equipment won't change the import $ figure. It would help if you have to pay import duties though (which only applies to non-NA built boats.).

Why go fast, when you can go slow
Old 15-09-2014, 09:56   #12

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Peter
Hi ! I just purchased in July a 1987 Ericson 34'-Fresh water sailboat that is- in Manistee, Michigan. I did almost the same 34 years ago, when I bought a Chance 33, in Chicago, that I sailed to the West Indies via the Erie Canal, down the East Coast, the Chesapeake, to Beaufort NC & then off to the US Virgin Islands. This time I got a Canadian Pleasure Craft Licence to be allowed to use the Erie Canal (Buffalo to Albany, NY) but I intend to get a national registration before leaving the USA. You need an approved surveyor to do the job in the USA.
I'll sail Sundance to the West Indies again late November when the Hurricane season is over (Most of the time... If you can call the Canadian "Pleasure Craft Licence" & "Canadian Register of Vessels" they'll tell you everything you need. Start by reading their WWW pages. Good Wind ! Alain (17°53 North, 62°48 West) remimarmol@yahoo.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sundance.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	411.4 KB
ID:	88207   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sundance-Descente.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	88208  

Name:	Leland_01.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	88209   Click image for larger version

Name:	PontDeMackinac.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	88211  

Name:	DansLaPurée.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	88212   Click image for larger version

Name:	WashBridge3.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	88213  

Name:	MarinDEauDouce.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	88214   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ecluse.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	88215  

Name:	Ecluse-40pieds_.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	88216   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lever_02.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	88217  

Name:	MastDown.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	88218   Click image for larger version

Name:	CanalDelChesa.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	88219  

ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 10:18   #13

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Peter
Some more pictures of my trip from Manistee, Michigan to Oak Harbor Marina, Northern Chesapeake Among which, picture of one of the friendliest harbor master I've met, in Port Salignac, North of lake St-Clair. He went out of his way to help me get my son from Detroit airport.
My Nicolas sailed/motored with me all the way to NY/NY through the 33 locks of the Erie Canal I then sailed alone down the New Jersey coast, up the Delaware, through the Delaware-Chesapeake canal to Oak Harbor Marina...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Charlevoix_05.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	88221   Click image for larger version

Name:	Illigal Aliens1.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	88222  

Name:	Garmin_GPS.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	88223   Click image for larger version

Name:	Brume.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	88224  

Name:	HarborMaster.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	405.8 KB
ID:	88225   Click image for larger version

Name:	Navigation.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	88226  

Name:	Delaware06.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	88227   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sundance@Sec00.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	88228  

Name:	Sundance@Sec11.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	88229   Click image for larger version

Name:	Delaware02.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	88230  

Name:	57Feet.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	88231   Click image for larger version

Name:	AvecLeCourant.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	88232  

ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 11:33   #14

Thanks Alain, Nice boat!

Old 19-09-2014, 14:50   #15

Well apparently the point is moot, I've offered on a local boat and the owners agreed, a Catalina 30 tall rig , 1978. It seems prices are quite flexible when owners want to avoid end of season haul out and storage. She has tiller steering, the traveler is mounted above the cabin roof, extended bowsprit with double rollers, furling jib, the aft stay has been split into a bridle to allow for transom boarding, I'm feeling pretty excited about the whole thing. The only neg to me was the yanmar 12 HP single cyl diesel, it does seems underpowered, I like that I can stand upright at 6"3 in the.
cabin, Sellers were very motivated and included all kinds of sundry items from flare gun ans shells to life saving gear, PPD, chart plotter auto helm, yadda yadda. Now need to scare up some stands or a cradle for when its haul out time here in the great white north. Fun times abound !

Tags
buying