Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2015, 04:28   #1

Buying a new 50ft boat

Hi guys
i was just hoping you could give me an insight as to what i need to do when i buy a new sailboat, around 50ft. I am based in the UK
I am planning on buying a new boat so what will i need for world cruising, in terms of taxes,registration etc...
I will be stopping in many countries so is there any countries you guys have sailed to which requires specific documents or requirements.
Also what are the tax rates for a new 50ft beneteau sailboat.
I've never bought a boat or been world cruising before, so anyone who has and could share some experience, i would be very grateful.
youngavidsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 05:20   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Buying a new 50ft boat

Aren't you 16, plan to to buy a 25' boat in 4 years, and cruise the world in 10 years?

I got all this from your other posts.

I think the boat broker you are working with will have some good answers
Old 22-01-2015, 05:30   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Aren't you 16, plan to to buy a 25' boat in 4 years, and cruise the world in 10 years?

I got all this from your other posts.

I think the boat broker you are working with will have some good answers
hi yes i am 16 and do plan to go crusing in 10 years with some friends on a 50ft boat. however i was just asking for some advice now so i have a rough idea of what costs to expect. just trying to be a bit more prepared
Old 22-01-2015, 05:43   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

You know, any form of transit in the 50' size range is going to be dammed expensive to buy and maintain.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 07:50   #5

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Beware MEMBERS, I cannot help but think this is a TROLL!!!

Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 07:57   #6

Boat: Tanzer 27

Are we being trolled or just being rude?

My advice: (in the event this isn't a troll)

Watch as many documentaries as you can on crossings and distance sailing.. Then do as much research as you can in types of boats "to buy." If you are actually 16 then it'll probably Be a while before you go off and buy your yacht so you'll ample time to research your idea.

Old 22-01-2015, 08:07   #7

if you have the money for a 50 ft benetea you can afford something much better built
there are a lot of used custom boats of quality out there for the same price and they have already been shaken down and the problems found.

find a good surveyor. you live in boat mecca
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 08:08   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaturkey View Post
Are we being trolled or just being rude?

My advice: (in the event this isn't a troll)

Watch as many documentaries as you can on crossings and distance sailing.. Then do as much research as you can in types of boats "to buy." If you are actually 16 then it'll probably Be a while before you go off and buy your yacht so you'll ample time to research your idea.

Hi thanks for the advice
I've started watching quite a few you tube channels including s/v delos which is very helpful and il try to watch some more. I am hoping to join a crew during my gap year after a levels to get some hand on experience, do you think this would be beneficial?
Old 22-01-2015, 08:28   #9

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsurvey View Post
if you have the money for a 50 ft benetea you can afford something much better built
there are a lot of used custom boats of quality out there for the same price and they have already been shaken down and the problems found.

find a good surveyor. you live in boat mecca
That didn't take long only 6 post..

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 08:35   #10

Boat: Valiant 40

If you're going to do this in 10 years the last thing you should be concerning yourself with now is future tax and registration issues. Talk about putting the cart before the horse. If you're trying to get a handle on future costs, better to consult a crystal ball regarding where the economy will be in 10 years vs. the percentage of taxes.

You've got 10 years. Go out and learn useful stuff. Navigation. Safety at Sea. Diesel engine maintenance and repair. Boat electrical systems. Good stuff to know when you finally get around to worrying about registration issues.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 09:08   #11

Boat: In between boats

I'll bite. Young, I won't tell you what to do, just make a few strong suggestions. Jumping right into a 50ft range from never owning a boat will be an enormously drastic shock. It is better to begin smaller and graduate in size as your abilities and confidence allow. If you are looking to just jump into a large sailboat, I would recommend you not exceed 35ft (preferably 30ft) for the first few yeas. These vessels will be comfortable in both size and complexity. Just be aware, that at that size, you will escalate the learning curve into a cliff.

My suggestion, at your age and skill level, without undermining your spirits, would be to get yourself into a Westerly Centaur 26 or equivalent and get you feet wet single handing. The linked example is the best a quick search on yachtworld was able to find.

Either way, dream big but temper your choices. You have plenty of time to get into a massive yacht.
SailingwithSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 14:30   #12

Boat: 1973 CHB sedan

go to this site S&S 34 Association | Welcome to the Sparkman and Stephens 34 Site and read.
chiefcoxswain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying