Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2012, 08:42   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Boat Ad Photos

While do so many cruising boat ad photos show a boat sailing on the edge with the rail in the water? I can see this for a race boat boat, but not a cruiser. Do they really think a cruiser is interested in running around at a 30 degree heel with the rail in the water? Everytime I see one of these ads if just makes me go "that doesn't look like a good comfortable cruiser to me"!
Old 28-01-2012, 10:01   #2

Re: boat ad photos

I think the auto ads (TV) are pretty much the same.
Noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 10:06   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

trying to appeal to all sailing souls..but failing miserably.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 10:27   #4

i'm more bothered with the fish-eye lense some adverts use. They make the salons
and berths look huge.
Old 28-01-2012, 10:56   #5

it's the excitement of sailing! The fisheye/condo view is for the rest of the family!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 14:37   #6

Years ago, when we were looking for a boat, we were amazed how many people didn't at least tidy up a bit before taking their interior shots. Some even had sinks full of dirty dishes, and filthy looking pots on the stove! Needless to say, we never looked at those boats.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 15:16   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Years ago, when we were looking for a boat, we were amazed how many people didn't at least tidy up a bit before taking their interior shots. Some even had sinks full of dirty dishes, and filthy looking pots on the stove! Needless to say, we never looked at those boats.
Oh my God yes. How can those owners possibly think they are going to get any lookers with photos like that? Even worse is going to all the trouble of traveling to look at a boat that had good pictures only to find it a complete dump.
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 15:26   #8

Boat: Lagoon 420

My pet peeve...poor quality photos. Out of focus, small hard to see photos. It's basic marketing. If you show some care to highlight your boat in its best condition with nice pictures it will attract more buyers, sell faster and possibly get a better price.
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 15:33   #9

Boat: Rhodes 32
Anybody have a recommendation on a quality wide angle lens camera for yacht interiors? Not necessarily rails in the water, but I do think ads look better with a profile with the sails up. Agreed on the embarrassing photos of interiors. A little bit of curb goes a long way. Always ask when prepping a yacht for sale, "What would I do if I was preparing for a boat show?"
Richard Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 16:16   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Jordan View Post
Anybody have a recommendation on a quality wide angle lens camera for yacht interiors? Not necessarily rails in the water, but I do think ads look better with a profile with the sails up. Agreed on the embarrassing photos of interiors. A little bit of curb goes a long way. Always ask when prepping a yacht for sale, "What would I do if I was preparing for a boat show?"
Wide angle... please don't!!!!

I am also looking at real estate at the same time, and so many realtors are now taking wide angle shots I see it as a turn off.

Your not kidding anyone that your space is larger then it really is, so why try. My first thought is "What else are they trying to fudge"?
Old 28-01-2012, 16:23   #11

Boat: Rhodes 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3

Wide angle... please don't!!!!

I am also looking at real estate at the same time, and so many realtors are now taking wide angle shots I see it as a turn off.

Your not kidding anyone that your space is larger then it really is, so why try. My first thought is "What else are they trying to fudge"?
OK. Interesting...
Richard Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 03:22   #12
Armchair Bucketeer

I simply see the boat heeling photos over as kinda like "action shots" of motorbikes cornering, with or without knee down - reality is that most of the time is spent at a less extreme angle......but IMO looks good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Jordan View Post
How about shooting some Youtube (and do a walkthrough)? - a minute or 2 rather than a full feature .

My pet peeve are Vendors who assume that a prospective buyer knows exactly what the layout of their boat is and / or the ad contains only 2 or 3 pics.

I think it's simply laziness coupled with ignorance - it's not as if someone will turn up and say "if I had seen more pics I would have realised the boat is not suitable for me - but I am going to buy it anyway" ......probably related to some Vendors getting more "Tyre Kickers" than others. (aka folks who don't write a cheque within 10 seconds of seeing boat / advert or who make polite noises (out of politeness ) - and then dissapear without making an offer.........sometimes giggling about boat / Vendor / Broker ).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 03:30   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: boat ad photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I simply see the boat heeling photos over as kinda like "action shots" of motorbikes cornering, with or without knee down - reality is that most of the time is spent at a less extreme angle......but IMO looks good

How about shooting some Youtube (and do a walkthrough)? - a minute or 2 rather than a full feature .

My pet peeve are Vendors who assume that a prospective buyer knows exactly what the layout of their boat is and / or the ad contains only 2 or 3 pics.

I think it's simply laziness coupled with ignorance - it's not as if someone will turn up and say "if I had seen more pics I would have realised the boat is not suitable for me - but I am going to buy it anyway" ......probably related to some Vendors getting more "Tyre Kickers" than others. (aka folks who don't write a cheque within 10 seconds of seeing boat / advert or who make polite noises (out of politeness ) - and then dissapear without making an offer.........sometimes giggling about boat / Vendor / Broker ).

Thats an excellent idea...
SimonMD on here did that with his Motor Yacht last year... he'd been punting it awhile then he posted a Videotour of the boat and it went soon after...
Very nice boat by the by....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 03:38   #14

Boat: Dudley Dix Hout Bay 33

Before we bought our 'project' we literally went the length and breadth of the UK (admittedly a small country) looking at boats which in their ads had decent looking interiors as well as exteriors. Probably about 95% were hugely disappointing and it is not as if we had unrealistically high expectations for the budget we had decided upon. The numbers whose photos were years out of date was really high and there was the memorable steel hull which on the side not pictured looked as if someone had T-boned it; and they were still expecting £60K for it. It never ceases to amaze me on the value put on boats (and houses for that matter) by owners and agents / brokers. What planet are they on? do people actually pay the prices asked? Anyway IMHO - realistic photos (without dirty dishes in the sink!) would be a big plus. After all if you travel any kind of distance and the first sight you get is nothing like the photo that brought you there in the first place you are likely already to be negative in your attitude and will only go downhill from there, at least I do.
Old 29-01-2012, 03:52   #15
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Thats an excellent idea...
SimonMD on here did that with his Motor Yacht last year... he'd been punting it awhile then he posted a Videotour of the boat and it went soon after...
Very nice boat by the by....
I can't claim originality on that idea - seen a few adverts doing same.

In the age of the internet just seems a fairly easy win:-

a) easy and quick to do
b) cheap (free!) - most digital cameras can shoot some movies.
c) helps to saves having to answer all the same questions, again, again and again.....

Indeed, a good argument that nowadays when a Vendor does not include all details / info / pics online that is trying to hide something (at least on a vessel that has more than 5 digits in the sale price) - it's not as if Vendor won't have to answer lots more questions than a couple of lines of text and a fuzzy photo will provide. Stuffing the details online simply saves having to repeat oneself endlessly - which surely makes a Vendor's life easier?, unless hoping (needing?!) a buyer who don't ask too many questions. It's the dog that didn't bark thing (Sherlock Holmes ).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote