Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 25-03-2016, 04:54   #511

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: Bestevaer 49ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
The mystery of elevated intelligence has been explained... Never had the horizontal spar whack ya huh???
No way .

I've been covered in bruises though trying to avoid this (sliding under the boom when racing and hitting those nasty hard clutches someone with sadistic tendencies positions so strategically ).

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 05:13   #512

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm View Post
If a small closet, laundry will not dry because of no air flow (unless used for a single T-shirt at a time ). If large - seems a possible waste of space...
A Drying Closet is not just a closet aka an enclosed space. It is an appliance that has a heater and fan(s) to provide airflow. Here is a US brand but there are several in the EU and what I have read implies that Drying Closets where used first in EU.

Staber Drying Cabinets | USA Made Drying Cabinets

Seems like a small shower could be setup to be a drying closet as well as a shower. Just requires heat and venting.

Later,
Dan
dannc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 06:10   #513
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
A Drying Closet is not just a closet aka an enclosed space. It is an appliance that has a heater and fan(s) to provide airflow. Here is a US brand but there are several in the EU and what I have read implies that Drying Closets where used first in EU.

Staber Drying Cabinets | USA Made Drying Cabinets
Ah, OK, thanks for explaining. Newer saw one of these before. Probably another one of those differences discussed in another thread here

Quote:
Seems like a small shower could be setup to be a drying closet as well as a shower. Just requires heat and venting.
This is exactly how Bavaria set things up - works very well. And the comfort of walking into a dry, warm area on cold mornings - priceless
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 06:14   #514
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Being 7" shorter than my husband, not for me it's not .

SWL
"All good things come in small packages"

But seriously, if it may be a hazard to a taller person, maybe have the design modified? For example, a permanent anchor (base) plate into which an eye is screwed when needed?
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 06:18   #515

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Ah, OK, thanks for explaining. Newer saw one of these before. Probably another one of those differences discussed in another thread here

This is exactly how Bavaria set things up - works very well. And the comfort of walking into a dry, warm area on cold mornings - priceless
It's a good idea.

I have a dedicated wet locker behind my nav station with a drain and heat. The central heating blows air right through it and it works pretty well, but it's a little small when you have a boat load of sailors with all their weather gear">foul weather gear.

I have central heating in both heads as well, but it's not enough. Some kind of separate heating, which could be used even when you're not heating the whole boat, would be a Godsend. If you have an outlet inside the shower as well, you could use the shower the way it's described here, and plus eliminate dampness there. It's a great idea.

My poor substitute for this is to crank up the generator and put an electric fan heater in the aft heads when someone is taking ablutions there. Makes it nice and warm, and then helps dry it out afterwards.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 06:39   #516

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
But seriously, if it may be a hazard to a taller person, maybe have the design modified? For example, a permanent anchor (base) plate into which an eye is screwed when needed?
With 75 mm of insulation, the loop will be buried in this. I presume there will be a small cover plate enabling access if needed (should be rare).

You are very right about needing to worry about hazards if you are unexpectedly tossed about. Minimising head injury potential was one of the big considerations when planning the location and type of hand holds.

SWL

Old 02-04-2016, 02:05   #517

Cruisers Forum Supporter

With photos arriving at the end of each week, Friday nights are now my favourite .

This week work commenced on the sections below the water line.

The rear portion with the substantial rudder tube:

A mid section:

The anchor locker at the front with the 8mm thick rim support for the floor:

The 15 mm thick stem head being fitted:

Old 02-04-2016, 08:00   #518
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Very cool pics SL! isn't it great to see such quality and precision work?

The welds look good on the pics and I wonder what they do with them? Clean with acid like they do with stainless steel welds?
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:58   #519

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Looks beautiful as aluminum sculpture. Could be in any art museum, even in pieces.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 17:23   #520

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Are they lofting full-size plans (I guess not), or are they cutting the alloy components via CAD/CAM and a plasma or waterjet cutter?

Sure looks pretty
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 20:07   #521

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

What beaut workmanship is evident in those photos, MErmaid. When I compare what I've seen there with what I saw in a "well regarded" Ozzie alloy shop... well, there just ain't no comparison!

And now, a silly question that has been bothering me for weeks: how do you pronounce "Bestevaer"? I've been thinking "best-ever", just 'cause it looks kinda that way, but is that correct?

Jim
Old 02-04-2016, 22:01   #522

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Very cool pics SL! isn't it great to see such quality and precision work?
Jedi, KM's workmanship is superb. The Dutch are the best craftsmen we have seen when it comes to aluminium welding. You can be proud of your countrymen .

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
The welds look good on the pics and I wonder what they do with them? Clean with acid like they do with stainless steel welds?
With stainless steel I think the acid is used after welding not just to clean, but to create a protective layer for corrosion resistance. With aluminium welding as soon as it comes in contact with oxygen a film of aluminium oxide is automatically formed so I don't think additional treatment is required. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can chip in.

SWL

Old 02-04-2016, 22:10   #523

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Looks beautiful as aluminum sculpture. Could be in any art museum, even in pieces.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana, I too consider it a work of art. Almost (but not quite) a pity to cover it up .

Old 02-04-2016, 22:28   #524

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
And now, a silly question that has been bothering me for weeks: how do you pronounce "Bestevaer"? I've been thinking "best-ever", just 'cause it looks kinda that way, but is that correct?

Jim
The norwegian pronounce would be very close to "best-ever" something like "beste-var".
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 23:08   #525

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
The norwegian pronounce would be very close to "best-ever" something like "beste-var".
The pronunciation has me beat LOL. I have listened carefully and I think the Dutch pronounce it "Best-var". If there is an "e" in the middle, it is very short.

As for the meaning, this is straight off KM's website:

"Best what?
Bestevaer was a nickname given to Michiel Adriaanszoon De Ruyter, one of the important Dutch admirals of the seventeenth century. The crew loved their captain and called him 'Beste Vaeder' (best father), which was then shortened to Bestevaer. The word Vaer also means sailor, seafarer. Thus, De Ruyter was not only the best father, but also the best seafarer. Bestevaer is a very fitting name.
"

SWL