Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2020, 14:28   #1

Any Comments On 1980 US-27

Hi All,

I have an opportunity to buy a very well maintained 1980 US-27 from a fellow member of my yacht club. It appears to be well taken care of, and fully functional for its age. This would be my first keelboat, and so looking for something to learn on, have fun etc etc. Will only be used on a (very large) inland lake (freshwater).

All of the basics for the boat check out, at least visually. Seller is asking $3800 USD for whole deal - Main, 110 Gen, 150 Gen, Storm sail, spinnaker with pole. All lines etc.

Boat was converted many years ago to a Yamaha 9.9 4-stroke outboard which appears to run great.

Very little selection in my area of the world for these kinds of craft, so alternatives would be to drive 300 miles to the coast and trailer something back. That process alone would cost me 2 days and $1500 (truck rental, gas, etc etc), so this seems like a great opportunity.

Any comments/thoughts/advice appreciated.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8608.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	446.9 KB
ID:	206284   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8610.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	443.6 KB
ID:	206285  

OKDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 14:34   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Any Comments On 1980 US-27

There pretty fine little boats. Fresh water should be all good, otherwise would need to check the rudder post for corrosion as well as keel boats.
Would take one to the Bahamas if that's what I had. Almost bought a 22 about 25 years ago that was setup for racing.
Old 04-01-2020, 14:35   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

What lake? Looks scenic
Old 04-01-2020, 14:58   #4

Agree, nice pictures. Is it the shoal draft version?

Looked it up on sailboatdata.com. There is a note:

“Hull design began as the CHASER 29, a production IOR 1/2 racer designed by Doug Peterson and first built in 1975. Bayliner/US Yachts used a completely different deck and a number of other changes. Molds for this version were later sold to Pearson Yachts where, with still more alterations, it became the TRITON 27.
Shoal draft version: 3.5'/1.07m.
Thanks to Bruce Schaffer for providing updated information on this yacht.”

The standard draft is stated as 5.16 ft.
Chris31415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 09:02   #5

Ask why he has a cover over it. Could be the windows leak.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 09:31   #6

Boat: 1985 Catalina 27

It's a steal if you like the boat and LOVE sailing!
ferrailleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 10:08   #7

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKDB View Post
Hi All! I have an opportunity to buy a very well maintained 1980 US-27 from a fellow member of my yacht club.
Have you been out sailing on her? Have you talked to other club members about her? Why is she for sale? Is she far below market? The biggest question: Does she 'SING' to you? If you don't feel anything for her, don't buy her. Boats need constant attention and maintenance. If you don't feel anything for her you will get tired of the work and cost and she will become another dock queen rotting in a slip.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 10:25   #8

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

It seems like a very good deal to me - given the alternatives you mention. Just so long as it doesn't have deck core rot, or other major issues. It's a good point that was mentioned about the tarp being used. I'd check the interior cabin ceiling liner for any kind of water damage, or staining. If you see that - it's a very good idea to check extra carefully for signs of deck core rot issues. Try to see how the lifeline stanchions flex and/or move when you press sideways on them - you may be able to get an idea about the deck core under them, etc. Good luck - beautiful sailing grounds.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 14:25   #9

At that price it probably doesn't make sense to pay a surveyor. Check for water leakage around the windows and main hatch, as that cover is on there for a reason. Also check where the chain plates and stanchions come through the deck. Look for streaks on the teak and cabin walls. Also check the deck for delamination by tapping on the deck with the back of a screwdriver and listening for the sound. If you get a sharp sound the deck has not yet delaminated, if you get a soft sound there is wetness in the core. Some wetness and delamination is normal for a boat that age. Your downside is that the boat is a mess and you're out the cash. If the guy you're buying it from was that diligent on the maintenance, it would still have a diesel and wouldn't need a cover.
Tillerjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:32   #10

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

is there a small engine mechanic close by? would ask seller to bring outboard to them for a quickie once-over...if all else checks out. good luck...
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:56   #11

It's a Peterson design which is likely a good thing, the molds floated around to different builders for a few years. I would say if it checks out well that it's probably a good boat. They do tend to go cheap, you might get it for less even. US Yacht (Bayliner) not a highly touted builder, but that may be more because they tried some oddball designs also. It's just hard to say, but not a real high quality builder, but typical of many production boats really ...heck, you are lake sailing...

Yes, you might expect some hatch or window leaks with that tarp on there. Not unusual...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 18:38   #12

Thanks everyone for the input and feedback!!!

There are a few leaks on the windows - he says its not bad enough to do anything about. Motor checks out from a guy who knows these things.

The guy is super genuine about the whole thing (hard to screw someone over when you are going to see them in the bar at the end of the day).

The weirdest thing is that my wife and I decided a number of years ago we would rename our first boat 'Karma', and this boat is named Karma. What are the odds?

I moved ahead with the deal. He is going to come out with me the first few times to show me the ropes, and has thrown in stuff I would not have even hoped for (dock roller wheel, BBQ, propane stove etc etc). The only promise he asked me to make that was when I sell it, if his grandkids are interested, I sell it to one of them. Gotta love that.

All of the sails are in really good condition, and to top it all off he is happy to let me leave it where it is in his slip until the weather improves (its -8f here at present).

For the poster asking about location, its Okanagan Lake in British Columbia, Canada.

I know the old addage about the two happiest days in a boaters life. Today is one of those days.

For those who took the time to post a response, my thanks. Fair winds to all.

DB.
OKDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 21:13   #13

My first boat was 1982 US27. Got her as a project back in 2006 for basically the cost of the haul from the seller's backyard. While fixing what needed to be fixed had a good glimpse at her bones, so to speak. Had a friend who was a pro boat builder help me and he was very impressed by the build quality, etc. Especially considering that these boats were meant to be run of the mill mass produced by mass builder Bayliner.

Mine was shoal draft of 3.5' and could turn on a dime. Original Volvo MD5A engine was still puffing for 4 seasons but being a newbie in this boat maintenance thing at the time I have neglected to take care of it and this finally caught up with me.

Repowering with a 10HP outboard did not make matters better as I never got to like it. And given that I never finished the TL of both the interior and the exterior I reluctantly sold her to a liveaboard guy.

If yours is in good shape and you can live with the OB it will be a great boat either as a starter boat or a downshift type. Or even as a long term gunkholer. Sails great btw. Mine was a bit tender due to its shoal draft in a blow due to its shoal draft but the upside was that it could move at the whiff of the wind.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 21:23   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
It's a Peterson design which is likely a good thing, the molds floated around to different builders for a few years. I would say if it checks out well that it's probably a good boat. They do tend to go cheap, you might get it for less even. US Yacht (Bayliner) not a highly touted builder, but that may be more because they tried some oddball designs also. It's just hard to say, but not a real high quality builder, but typical of many production boats really ...heck, you are lake sailing...

Yes, you might expect some hatch or window leaks with that tarp on there. Not unusual...
Having owned US27 for about 5 years I have done some research both before and after getting it. There were three factories turning out US boats - one in VA, one in WA and one somewhere in the Midwest. The East Coast one is considered the better of the three, the West Coast is second and the Midwest was basically more of a Bayliner type of a shop. Apparently the Midwest shop was using chopped mat, screws instead of thrubolts, etc., much more then the other two with the resulting quality issues, etc.

At the US owners forum, which unfortunately no longer exists, there was a guy who worked at the VA factory and he ragged on the Midwest one saying that it was soiling the reputation for the other two shops.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men