Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2014, 14:39   #31

Boat: Tayana 37
Re: Alberg 37 buy or run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
if you're hell bent on getting an alberg 37 there's one for sale in my neighborhood - ponce inlet florida.

i personally knew the owner. he was a retired executive who always loved the alberg 37 and had the money to rebuild one to new standards. he bought her three years ago up in new england and had it trucked down to a boatyard in ponce inlet. he then spent the next year and a half having her completely rebuilt from the keel up. it shows like the day it came out of the factory - although much of the gear was updated to modern standards.

he put the boat back in the water and then he died. the widow put the boat up for sale for, i think, $80,000. but it's been for sale for a year or more and i think she may be more reasonable now. if you're interested it may be on yachtworld or get in touch with me and i'll find out more for you.
EIGHTY THOUSAND?! She'd have to be a lot more reasonable if she wants to sell it. I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that that is what her husband spent on the boat.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 15:33   #32

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin84 View Post
EIGHTY THOUSAND?! She'd have to be a lot more reasonable if she wants to sell it. I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that that is what her husband spent on the boat.

Our experience has shown that widows, or family caring for someone who is not going to be able to return to the sea, are not always in a hurry to sell. A well cared for boat is a powerful symbol of that loved one.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 22:03   #33

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat

If a new boat might cost 160-200 grand why wouldn't a well fully rebuilt boat cost 80 grand. It is unlikely that you are going to get something nice for the price of junk and if you buy junk and try to transform it the boat will still cost even if you supply most of the labor. I think a healthy attitude would be to try to get your moneys worth out of what ever boat you go after, what ever your price range is. Its a buyers market but people still want to get paid for a good product.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 23:54   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I'm just finishing up doing a rebuild on a Pearson 35. When i bought her thought she had much of the equipment that I'd need for an ocean passage and would only take a short while and a bit of money to get ready to do some serious sailing.

Easily had $20,000 in the boat for new running rigging, complete suit of working sails plus Asym and other sails, self tailing winches, windlass, rewiring, some custom stainless work, Harken traveller, gear to run the mainsail control lines back to the cockpit, new boom, new stove, cabin heater, solar panels, new batteries, whisker pole and spinnaker pole. etc. That was doing most of the work myself and buying much of the gear off Ebay or Craig's list. Boat came with a decent interior, a new Yanmar Diesel, and Monitor WindVane Self Steering.

Then things got crazy. Discovered that the turn from the topsides to the deck support shelf. was resin starved and totally rotten. Had to grind away the top two inches of topsides and epoxy laminate the hull and deck together. That was more than I could handle so hired a couple of glass workers to do the work and paint the topsides. Deck was a mass of poorly filled holes from hardware that had been removed. The large fixed ports in the main cabin badly corroded and the glass laminate crazing. Decided to do away with the factory ports so glassed in the cabin sides and installed opening ports in their place. The PO's engine installation was totally botched and couldn't be aligned so ate stern bearings in very little time. Had to pull the engine and do a total reinstall get it to fit properly in the boat. After 5 months on the hard and another 20 boat units, she's back in the water looking like a new boat.

Still have a fraction of money in the boat than buying new. Unfortunately, it's also way more than the boat is worth. But what the hell, it's only the kids inheritance. Boat is now almost exactly as I want it and am very happy with how it's turned out. It's been a long slog but have sailed around SF Bay and to Hawaii. Still find myself admiring the boat from the opposite pier when I go down to work on her. Hope to sail her to Alaska this coming summer.

Your Alberg really looks like a POS from the outside. Much of it may clean up with a good scrubbing, compounding, and wax. The sailing equipment looks undersized and totally out dated. Is the engine shot or rebuildable?? How are the sails?? Standing rigging need replacing?? The list goes on. At the asking price, you can afford to put a lot of money into the boat but it will need it. Do you enjoy working on boats and/or do you want to go sailing. One thing nice about boats, I've always managed to beg, borrow, or get the wife to work to support my boat habit. Do you have the desire and wherewithal to find the funds to make this boat into a seaworthy sailor while still living a somewhat normal life?? Looks to me like an easy 20 big ones at the least to get this boat back in the water. That will only be the beginning.

FWIW, current boat is my fourth sailboat. Have commissioned two new sailboats, built a W32 from a bare hull and deck before tackling this one. Have sailed the east coast from St Pete to the Chesapeake, the West Coast from SF to SD, French Polynesia and Hawaii. I didn't just fall off the turnip wagon but still grossly under estimated the cost of getting the current boat in the condition I wanted her.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 05:59   #35

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

A brand new 37' boat will cost 350k (Island Packet 360 as an example) at least. Makes an 40k to 80k rebuild seem more reasonable, especially since you will be 'one' with your boat.

But do you have the time and the $$$?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 06:46   #36

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

I think you made a good choice. That boat looks like garbage, someone just let that boat down.....

If you're looking for an Alberg, there is a 30 in Oriental with a new engine and is ready to sail. Plenty of work to be done on her, but something that can be bought for maybe three times the cost of the one you are showing, and is ready to take out sailing. Of course it is much smaller, but this boat can be had for a deal I think, with a professional engine install. I know that owner and the boat in full disclosure, but only well enough to know the situation.

1968 Alberg 30 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 07:32   #37

Right now I feel like I don't have enough knowledge with boat construction to make an informed decision.

One thing that was bugging me was when i tried to go to the front of the bow the owner told me not to, apparently that would cause the boat stands to possibly slip from under the boat. I was thinking… 250lbs can make a 16000lb boat move off its stands.wow.

When I was looking around the pulpit it seemed like there was some sloppy restoration work carried out. I wanted to get a closer look but wasn't able to.

If you look at the pictures and zoom in maybe you can see what I'm talking about.

Ill wait and get a alberg 37 one day, maybe when i have a place to store it thats not in a excess of 500 a month.

Cheers.
Norscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 08:05   #38

Boat: Tayana 37

Ummm, finding either a slip or yard to work on a 37' boat for under $500/month is going to be extremely difficult. You might be better of finding a house to rent that you can put the boat at and work on her.

Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 08:37   #39

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

That boat is garage.
The owner should be offering her for free.
Personally free wouldn't work for me, I wouldn't touch it.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 12:22   #40

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norscot View Post
what about this???

Yes, a great choice for about $450 and you can store it in your backyard. New they are over 5K. You'll notice that she is not rigged properly as the sail is set way too high. Just have to retie the halyard a little further up on the upper boom. Darn tough to cruise though and liveaboard space is a bit tight.

I'd opt for the Sunfish which is just a bit larger than this Sailfish.
Old 22-03-2014, 12:48   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norscot View Post
One thing that was bugging me was when i tried to go to the front of the bow the owner told me not to, apparently that would cause the boat stands to possibly slip from under the boat. I was thinking… 250lbs can make a 16000lb boat move off its stands.wow. Cheers.
Or he didn't want you looking too closely

It doesn't matter sadly its not an affordable yacht. As has been suggested there is no reason why you shouldn't have a yacht, you just need to cut your cloth to match. How about something in the 25-30ft range? as the owner of a 31ft yacht the cost of everything from moorings to sails compared to 40ft is substantially less.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 13:09   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
A brand new 37' boat will cost 350k (Island Packet 360 as an example) at least. Makes an 40k to 80k rebuild seem more reasonable, especially since you will be 'one' with your boat.

But do you have the time and the $$$?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Rebuilt to one person is kept up to another. Much of the time "rebuilt" portions can never be like new, may not be as good or may be better. I've seen many people put way more into a boat than it's worth (myself included!) dont be the fool that pays them what they have in it.
There was a mostly redone Alberg 37 up here last year or 2012(?) asking $18k. Bottom stripped to bare and redone, newish engine/shaft, paint, cushions etc etc. He advertised only stuff left to do was the rigging replaced. He just ran out of gas before it was done. Looked good too in the pics.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2014, 20:18   #43

Norscot, I am looking for a Alberg 37 in affordable condition...If you are not interested in the boat could you forward the information to me? Thanks. 1wolfpack89@ gmail.com
ysorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 20:24   #44

Boat: Alberg 37

Did you pass on her?
kushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 22:14   #45

Boat: Alberg 35

That's actually a Sunfish hull (Sailfish didn't have the place to put your legs), rigged with a Sailfish sail, which is why it looks strange.
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alberg