Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 14:10   #1

Advice on IP 29

Hello All,

I'm new to the forum and was hoping to benefit from your collective wisdom! I am deliberating the purchase of my first boat; up until now I have been a one design racer, ex-Naval Officer, sometime carribbean cruiser, and recreational passage maker on friend's and relative's vessels. I'm constrained my a $60,000 budget, and have been considering an early 90's vintage IP29. If anyone has experience with these boats, I would appreciate hearing about it. I am aware of the typical characterization of IP's being sluggish to weather and in light wind, however if there are more drawbacks I would appreciate hearing them. They also seem to have some variation on engine capacity, as I have seen Yanmar 17-29 hp engines in them. I was wondering what the max speed under power would be with the smaller engine, and if they were ever considered underpowered. We intend to recreationally cruise the Chesapeake and are a couple with no children (yet).

Thanks in advance!
Capt. Quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 14:36   #2

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'
Re: Advice on IP 29

Welcome to the CF Quagmire. No experience with IP29. We used to have a 15 horse engine in my 7 ton 34 footer that would make hull speed (6+ knots) in calm conditions - great. The problem is that when trying to make headway against wind and chop, the speed would fall to zero with about 30 knots of wind. I switched to a 40 horsepower engine not to motor faster, but to maintain speed as conditions deteriorate. Unless you are a sailing purist, go for the larger engine.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 16:10   #3

It's all depends on where you are using the boat. If you are dealing with currents and inlets I would look for the larger yanmar. The boat is not going to be any faster with the larger engine since you can't overcome hull speed. Do a search on the iphomeport site and you will see what actual owners of these boats think.
LostAtSea2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 16:40   #4

Boat: PT-11
Re: Advice on IP 29

Go here IP Home Port - The Official Website For Island Packet Yacht Owners Since 1998
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote