Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 22:58   #106

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
I'm sure this has been quoted maybe even in this thread.

Sterling Hayden
To be truly challenging, a voyage, like a life, must rest on a firm foundation of financial unrest. Otherwise, you are doomed to a routine traverse, the kind known to yachtsmen who play with their boats at sea... "cruising" it is called. Voyaging belongs to seamen, and to the wanderers of the world who cannot, or will not, fit in. If you are contemplating a voyage and you have the means, abandon the venture until your fortunes change. Only then will you know what the sea is all about.
+1 To Sterling's wisdom.....
Old 10-12-2012, 00:05   #107

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

Quote:

Sterling Hayden
To be truly challenging, a voyage, like a life, must rest on a firm foundation of financial unrest. Otherwise, you are doomed to a routine traverse, the kind known to yachtsmen who play with their boats at sea... "cruising" it is called. Voyaging belongs to seamen, and to the wanderers of the world who cannot, or will not, fit in. If you are contemplating a voyage and you have the means, abandon the venture until your fortunes change. Only then will you know what the sea is all about.
I like the adventurous advice
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 15:20   #108

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:

Sterling Hayden
Stirling Hayden was in conflict with significant portions of his own life including his career and many of his personal relationships so I am inclined to take his advice about the the mental attitude one should have in approaching the sea with a grain of salt, rock salt more specifically.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 22:53   #109

Like a song it's more about the words/lyrics than the man and what they mean to you.........
Old 11-12-2012, 08:14   #110

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Like a song it's more about the words/lyrics than the man and what they mean to you.........
If that was true why include the source with the quote? To avoid accusations of plagerism, to lend authority to the quote or both since they are not mutually exclusive.

Don't get me wrong, Hayden was a good sailor from what I understand, but that doesn't make all or even any of his advice good. If that particular piece of advice was so good, the OP could have been referred to http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nth-40051.html and this thread could have ended right there.

A pithy and perhaps lyrical quote does not necessarily make good advice, which after all is the title and ostensible reason for this thread.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:25   #111

Lighten up mate it ain't that serious...... Cheers
Old 13-12-2012, 07:45   #112

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post

Don't get me wrong, Hayden was a good sailor from what I understand, but that doesn't make all or even any of his advice good. If that particular piece of advice was so good, the OP could have been referred to http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nth-40051.html and this thread could have ended right there.

Post 104.

But it didn't end...........
Old 13-12-2012, 07:54   #113

Who is anyone to say how i take advice, see things etc.

Whilst you may see something as 'Pithy,Lyrical or downright Dreadful means nothing to me, nor probably to anyone else, it is simply YOUR opinion.

As i said "Like a song it's more about the words/lyrics than the man and what they mean to you........." simply my opinion!

Cheers
Old 13-12-2012, 10:20   #114

Boat: in between boats

Here is another two cents worth to Lysander. Probably more later.
Go to amazon and buy several of the books previously mentioned in this thread, used.
Tartan 30, 33 or 34 (not the Tartan 10). Cal 28, 2-29, 31 or 40. Catalina 30, 32, 34 or 36, Catalinas are holding their value pretty good (quick exit stategy) if need be.
Nigel Calder, 'Diesel Enine Repair', and 'Electrical Systems'.
Consoidate now, get ready. If it does't fit in your vehicle, toss it.
Get your passports now, if you haven't already.
Get tunnel vison on your dream, and go after it.
The longer you wait, the more stumbling blocks and nay sayers you will have to endure.
Don't become parents for anther 5 years.
You are young, don't be afaid to spend 90% of your savings on the right larger boat. If you are going to have to learn to earn as you go, start off now, on a larger, more comfortable boat.
More to come, I must be off to work to add to my cruising kitty and boat fund.
larryb is offline   Reply With Quote