Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2019, 15:07   #16

Re: 98’ steel rob Ladd project boat

I just want to qualify my positive, uplifting response: I do not own a boat and cannot afford a boat. I have welded on military ships with flat sides, but the curved surface of a boat could be a nightmare.
WillyTheRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 16:49   #17

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Nah with steel you can repair anything but the interior will take a hit.
Old 20-06-2019, 16:51   #18

If there is one hole in the hull, how many more places where you could push a screwdriver through? It seems that building a steel yacht does not make long-term economic sense. There are many 50-yr-old plastic boats that are worth more now than they were new.
MartinF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 17:45   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
Going for a sail involves instructing the crew to get under way while you just sit there and relax - lord of the manor.

Not my cup of tea.
And neither would it be mine. I have singlehanded my 64,’ though it is not enjoyable and the 30,000 miles we put under her keel were what most everyone would probably consider shorthanded (2 competent adults). There is always more than enough to do and crew is easy enough to find. Plus, I have a decent size family, children who are taking more active roles each year.

Alas, I agree with everyone that even at what looks like a bargain price of $50k, it would still be overpriced.
Banderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 22:20   #20

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banderson View Post
It would definitely take a lot of money and labor to bring her back. You guys who own steel boats, are the rusty areas that big of a deal? With the rust hole in the side of the boat can you just cut out the old metal and weld in new?
Yes, and it can be a surprisingly fast process if you know what you are doing.

It appears to be a round bilge boat and they are built over close framework of ribs and stringers which tends to maximize the potential for water traps on the inside of the hull. These are the places where the tendency to rust through are most likely.

However one of the upsides of steel boats is that they can be made very leak proof and if a reasonable amount of care is taken then keeping water out of the boat is readily achieved. In the case of this particular vessel though it appears that it has a wooden deck which is a recipe for disaster either because of the leak potential, if all wood, or the corrosion potential, if wood over steel.

Like all boats a careful survey and estimation of the work and the skills available is required to bring it to seaworthy state is required before considering purchase. For the right person it could be a very worthwhile project, for the wrong, an expensive broken dream.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2019, 10:22   #21

Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41

Wow, this is certainly a professionally built yacht. If the mechanical systems are sound, cushions, ports, lenses, wiring looks correct, you could spend 100k and have a 300k boat..if thats what you want, crew, skipper, etc
dakno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2019, 11:13   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakno View Post
Wow, this is certainly a professionally built yacht. If the mechanical systems are sound, cushions, ports, lenses, wiring looks correct, you could spend 100k and have a 300k boat..if thats what you want, crew, skipper, etc
As optimistic as I am, I don’t think $100k would even get you in the water. I counted something like 20 lifeline 8ds which would most certainly need to be replaced. That is $15,000 just for batteries! The mast would need all the 30 year old rigging replaced before going up. The mast itself (as well as all components) had corrosion and needs stripped and painted at a minimum. I walked it off at around 150 feet!!! What about rebuilding the hydraulic furlers and winches? I have no idea the costs but it can’t be cheap. $100,000 might get the mast rigged and batteries replaced! What would sails cost for a sailplan that large?
Old 21-06-2019, 13:03   #23

Don't be silly. Keep the Hinkley.
Arthurwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2019, 13:51   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I think the comparison of a 50’ boat to a 98’ boat is very misleading.

What are the comparative DISPLACEMENTS? That gives a much better idea.

For example we have 2 boats.
33’ is 8 tons.
44’ is 20 tons. 2-1/2 times as much for a 30% increase in length. A 100% increase in length would be?????
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2019, 15:21   #25

My coworker who is a member here told me about this thread and I felt like I had to get on and comment. I've had to look at this rust bucket everyday for the last 10 years. Anytime a potential buyer comes and looks they run the other way!

A prospect had an audiogauge survey done a few months back and was shaking his head saying the entire hull was wasted beyond acceptable limits. Like really, no crap, the rust hole in the side of the boat didn't give it away?

The yard is desperate to get this thing out of here ASAP. We are all sick of looking at it. At $50,000 it might be a decent price but it's going to need a hell of a lot of work! Get your checkbook out. It might be cheaper to just build a new one!
SailingPretty63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 10:18   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingPretty63 View Post
My coworker who is a member here told me about this thread and I felt like I had to get on and comment. I've had to look at this rust bucket everyday for the last 10 years. Anytime a potential buyer comes and looks they run the other way!

A prospect had an audiogauge survey done a few months back and was shaking his head saying the entire hull was wasted beyond acceptable limits. Like really, no crap, the rust hole in the side of the boat didn't give it away?

The yard is desperate to get this thing out of here ASAP. We are all sick of looking at it. At $50,000 it might be a decent price but it's going to need a hell of a lot of work! Get your checkbook out. It might be cheaper to just build a new one!
Thank you for that info. I emailed the broker last week and received a curt response. I sent a reply but have had no reply back. You would think they would want to follow up on leads as I cannot imagine they are getting their door beaten down with people trying to buy this white elephant! I’m going to pass on this one for sure after reading your message! You probably saved me a lot of trouble!
Old 24-06-2019, 10:54   #27

If y'all thought the rob ladd was a bad idea... check this one out

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/196...lante-2868388/
jhkm12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 11:20   #28

Honestly that might be the better project! Both boats need complete reforms. That one is in Ukraine where labor is most likely far cheaper than it is in the northeast of the US. That boat has several things going for it over the Rob Ladd.
Old 24-06-2019, 13:09   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

I assume you mean the yard paying somebody $50k to take it away?

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingPretty63 View Post

witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 22:11   #30

I tried to buy this sailboat at full asking price of $165,000. The broker told me they won’t let anyone do a survey on the boat at all! I’ve never heard anything like that in the dozen or so boats I’ve owned over the last few decades. How can any reputable broker represent a boat like that?!
Calisailing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, project, steel