Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2013, 11:14   #1

74 Newport 28 Question(s)

Hello all,
I saw a 1974 Newport 28 for sale recently and called to look at it.
The guy wanted 2,500 for it and I got him down to 2,000, bought it and, am now working to take care of some needed issues.
My wife and I will just be cruising the PNW and have no intention of taking her around the horn or anything. The intent is to stay crispy and save up until we can buy our "retirement" boat with cash. It will get us around the sound and allow us to enjoy doing what we love doing.

The hull and deck seems to be sound and I looked like an idiot tapping away trying to find a soft spot. I didnt.

Now for the questions.
The inboard diesel had been torn apart a couple years ago and hadn't been put back together since. They had pulled the head off and left the cylinder exposed so it has some rust on the wall. I am going to assume it is pitted and probably just pull the entire engine out freeing up space and weight for me to relocate the batteries and add a good little water tank as well as general storage.
When I pull the engine I will also pull the shaft and prop which will leave a hole in the stern that will probably effect performance after about 10 mins of sailing. My intent is to plug it with a compression plug and just check it every once in a while to make sure it isnt leaking or has come loose. (the plug I am talking about is a rubber plug sandwiched between two metal washer and expands when you tighten the through bolt) Am I missing anything or is there another way of plugging the hole other than glassing it?

In the rear of the cockpit there is a panel that pulls out allowing you to mount an outboard motor. The panel itself is a solid piece that pulls out leaving about six inches of reinforced fiberglass near the floor of the cockpit to which the outboard is attached. Is this normal or did I get someone's "neat idea". I plan on reinforcing it further (the part where the motor mounts) but, I am asking for opinions on whether or not I should just glass it back in. I know boats have sugar scoop sterns but, the water is about 8-10 inches below the motor mounting location. I have looked online to see if it came from the factory like this but, I can't seem to get a clear enough pic to confirm/deny. Thoughts?

All in all we are happy with the purchase (it is only 2k) and are super excited to get back under sail.

[EDIT] I know there are some strong feelings about the Newports and my research turned up that you either love them or hate them. I am thick skinned either way so if you have any insight or tips please feel free to share.
Please try and refrain from the "they suck and sucks to be you!" comments without backing up why they indeed "suck". Even though it is almost a disposable boat it is still our boat for the near future.

I hope this finds you all well,

Brainburn
Brainburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 01:39   #2

Boat: Irwin. 28 ft
Send a message via AIM to pdjb
Re: 74 Newport 28 Question(s)

I had the same problem...on my 28 irwin that I bought I torn the engine out and left the shaft in..took the prop off..put a 15hp outboard on it...took the space and used it for spare room for my sails....built a shelf for the battery so I could hook up light for the back and went up to the bedding area..where the achor was stowed and make a shelf so I could run the light on the front of the boat...the mast is want I am trying to figure out...light..hope this helps you...I did all the work myself and saved money....hope this hwlps U out....phil
pdjb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newport