Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2020, 01:34   #16

Re: 46 Amel Santorin Ketch

Here's a consideration if you live in the Antipodes. Tell me if I am wrong, but....The Amel Santorin and SM( Santorin in particular) are suffering from obsolescence. There are a load of very proprietary Amel only parts in these yachts that can really only be had from remaining stock in La Rochelle, which involves being very specific in your orders to avoid any language difficulties. Support is excellent, but some things just can't be had any longer without hours and hours of researching working arounds sometimes with the help of the online amel community and will at best result in either finding a quality engineer to make bespoke parts or dipping deep into the kitty for UPS air freight, the only method that Ch. Amel uses. The age of these yachts and the exchange rate is not on our side. Many problems on these aging, but very systems heavy yachts can be worked around...but have fun if you blow an out hall or furling motor or gearbox, leave alone trying to find a replacement dishwasher, correct waterpump, pong box, raw water gallery or, God forbid, damage the sail drive...all can be rectified in one way or another, of course, but finding the bits or someone here who gives good support is well...

I'd love to hear from those who have come across such problems in the south pacific before I became carried away with the amel spell.
Lat20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 01:49   #17

Of course, those considerations apply to a greater or lesser extent but probably in a logarithmic fashion depending on your location distance from La Rochelle
Lat20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 11:55   #18

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRelentless View Post
In fact that aside from Delos, which I can see how they are doing what they do, I've wondered about the others and how they are making it, can a couple REALLY live off their boat like that, with maintenance, insurance and necessities for under say $1,500 a month?
We've been living non stop on Eleuthera for 4 years. All in, the cost is about US$60k a year. IMO, absolutely impossible on $15k a year.

GL
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ketch