Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2008, 12:29   #1

Boat: Ensenada 20
38' (+/-) Center Cockpit Sloop / Cutter Recommendations ?

In an effort to reach a combination of both manageable (for us) price and manageable boat size, we think we've settled on about a 38' monohull.

And, we want a boat with a center cockpit and aft cabin with a centerline bed, that can handle Caribbean cruising.

I know there are used 40' boats that meet our criteria, but I haven't been able to find one about 38' that suit us.

We welcome any recommendations for a 38' or so center cockpit monohull with a sizable aft cabin and centerline berth.

Is there such a boat out there that you endorse????

Thanks!!!
Lightfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 13:01   #2
cruiser

I saw a lot of Gulfstars in that range on Yachtworld recently. Prices (I think) were in the $60K range?

There are actually a good number of reasonable boats in this range. The centerline berth might be a sticking point, but I'd suggest you think hard about if it's really worth the extra $10-$20K to have a centerline berth vs. one that's not centered, but is still large.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 13:22   #3

Does 2 feet make that much difference? If you find a 40 footer that suits, and is priced right, why wouldn't you go with that?
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 13:43   #4

The main reason that you don't find many CC's under 40' is that you end up with a condo look. Catalina/Morgan built CC38', Irwin38, halberg rassey 38 are a few available.
Better would be a Whitby or Brewer 42 for cruising.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 13:54   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
http://www.irwinyachts.com/Centercoc...nt-Cockpit.htm
Old 20-02-2008, 13:57   #6

Not sure I know of many 38's that are CC. Lots of aft cockpit 38 footers that would be very good. Maybe a Hood 38?
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 14:09   #7
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
another point: not all 38 footers are 38 feet. That works in either direction! I've seen boats that were "NAME 36" and they are only 28 waterline ... and/or 42 LOA!!

Cruising CAt has a good point ... find a boat that works for you ... don't worry too much about the 'size'. 4 feet difference may at first seem ... significant ... but *I* believe that you will get use to handling the boat (provided it handles nicely - another independant of size assessment you'll have to make) no matter what the size.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 14:19   #8

Boat: Vandestadt ketch 42
Van de Stadt designed many CC's with large aft cabins . His trintella range out of Holland etc.

Here is a 36 cc Sailboats for Sale - Trintella 36 Ketch Photos, but he designed in the range all the way up to 57. Ron holland I believe now designs and upgraded the trintellas.

Alan

PS he also had flush deck designs that look sexy and sleek

Alan
anglooff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 15:02   #9

Why a center cockpit? There are some sub 40' aft cockpit boats with centerline queens - eg.:

1997 Catalina 38 Boat For Sale=

1988 Hunter Hunter Boat For Sale=
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 15:04   #10

Boat: Westerly Corsair 36, The Mons
Both the Bavaria 38 Ocean and the Moody 38 are center cockpit with centerline aft berths. The Bavarias have taken some hits lately on their level of build quality. Both of these are quite expensive however.

If you are willing to go to an athwartship aft berth, you can get a Westerly Corsair for a third to a quarter of the cost of the above two.
The Mons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 15:28   #11

Wow, a LOT of good info already. Thanks MUCH to all. I look forward to more carefully reviewing it.

We don't like the limited head room in aft berths of aft cockpit boats, nor the usually small size of forward vee berths; hence, the desire for the greater headroom aft berth. I guess centerline is desirable, but not essential.

Maybe we should be thinking in terms of displacement rather footage.

I was just thinking that a 38 vs a 40 would require a little lighter (& less expensive) lines & ground tackle, etc., lower slip/storage fees, require less bottom paint, etc. etc.; and still provide decent living and storage space; and also that the cost to purchase the boat may be less.

I'll review the boats mentioned, and look forward to additional feedback.
Old 21-02-2008, 05:05   #12

Boat: B24
<I was just thinking that a 38 vs a 40 would require a little lighter (& less expensive) lines & ground tackle, etc…>

Yep, and therein lies the dilemma – how to get generous dockside cabin accommodations with manageable sailing, maintenance qualities… I was never able to solve this riddle, and probably never will unless I can afford a small crew or something… CC’s in 38-foot (on deck) range are a bit touch and go in general, especially if one wants the walkthrough to have standing headroom – over the years many were not, preferring to get the external proportions correct I suppose… The Irwin 37/38 has headroom and was close to the same interior layout of the 42 I had, but for me at least the lines on the 37 never quite worked – looked sorta like a small tuna-tower compared to the slightly longer 42/43 Irwins where the inevitably raised cockpit didn’t seem to dominate the landscape quite so grandly…

But if for no reason other than as a stalking-horse, Irwin CCs in that size serve as a good point of reference because they made so many variations… As I recall S2 made a 30’ CC, but that thing really did look like a floating condo (to me at least…) although the one skipper I chatted with years ago said it didn’t sail any different than the aft-cockpit version, so what do I know…
Old 21-02-2008, 13:08   #13

There are several Irwin 38 CC on Yachtworld that look promising/interesting.

I agree, the staggered raised coachroof is not very attractive looking; but until I see one in-person, I'm thinking that function may trump appearance, as long as it doesn't make the boat top heavy and the center of gravity too high for safety and performance purposes.
Old 21-02-2008, 13:20   #14

TBH I doubt if you would notice an extra 2 feet in most boat handling situations. But an extra 2 feet can make a much more noticable difference to the accomodation.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 19:50   #15

I have such boat, or close to it, no center berth in the aft cabin though, which is not desirable when underway. I have 2 berths in the back, one queen size on one side and another single berth on the other side w a seat in between. It is a Swedish boat, a Hallberg-Rassy 37. Very solid, well built and extremely fast boat. Not cheap, but it will take you everywhere safely and with confidence.
hansdg53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
center cockpit, cutter