Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2009, 13:30   #1

Need Crew - Santa Barbara CA to Seattle WA - April 30, 2009

I'm delivering my (2004) Catalina 42 from Santa Barbara CA to Seattle WA. Looking for either experienced crew member(s) or delivery skipper to accompany me. Planning on casting off from Santa Barbara on April 30, 2009
Old 15-03-2009, 19:54   #2

I deliver boats. My last long delivery was from VA to Ireland. I’ve done some west coast work…LA to Mexico, Mexico north. HI to Santa Barbara. I’d be happy to talk to you about cost if your interested. Feel free to contact me directly, let me know your needs. svhonu@mac.com

Garth
Old 19-03-2009, 10:50   #3

Crew

Hey Dan. My name is Andrew and I would like to crew for you. I have past experience as a deckhand aboard the HMS Rose on a delivery from Newport RI to San Diego. Would love to talk with you more about the details. Don't hesitate to email me andrewCemmons@gmail.com.

Thanks,

Andrew
Old 20-03-2009, 05:21   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Good Luck

Dan--

Good luck on your trip. It's a tough one. I did it on one ocassion and I wouldn't do it again for any amount of money. If you're going to stay near shore I suggest you pre-plot the approaches to all of your ports of refuge and ensure you have a good working radar. At this time of year you'll need it. There is nothing so unnerving as feeling the pounding of a heavy engine through the water from somewhere around you while you cannot see anything beyond your forestay.

Sincerely,

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 20-03-2009, 08:56   #5

Thanks for your encouraging words svHyLyte! Seriously your advice is very sound. I'm curious what time of year you made your trip?
Old 20-03-2009, 18:18   #6

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Dan--

I made the trip in June '86 aboard a friend's Alden 44. We left SB and headed for Santa Rosa Island in hopes of leaving from there and getting a good lay line past Pt. Conception early the next AM, before the winds got too bad. It didn't work out that way and we finally cut in and anchored at Cojo. We left at 0dark30 the next AM but still got hammered and ended up turning back to Cojo for a second cold night. The following AM we finally managed to brest the point and made it all the way to Point San Luis. The plan was to go from there directly to San Francisco but the next day we got banged again and finally pulled in behind the point at San Simeon where we rocked and rolled for two more daze.

From there we ran for SF but one of the fellows with us began to worry that he'd run out of time--and we were running low on fuel--so we ended up heading for Santa Cruz, but got wacked again as we entered the bay so we ran off and anchored in Monteray, where "Wild Willie" quit the ship to his (and our) relief. We fueled and reprovisioned there and, with that, were determined to make the run offshore but once we got up near the Faralons we were getting beat up so badly again that we flopped over and headed for shelter at Drakes Bay. We got in there late, wet, cold and exhausted and spent 36 hours waiting out the wind/fog again. Once things cleared, we took off and ran a good 150 miles north westerly from which point we just kept on keeping on until we finally landed again at Bainbridge Island Marina. On that leg we ended up hove too for a good 10 hours off of Tilamook but we were too far off to consider trying to run in.

As far as I recall we covered about 1450 miles in a total of 23 daze of which 5 or so were spent waiting in one anchorage or another. Navigation was by Sextant with a morning shot to give us distance off, a noon lat to tell us how far north we'd made it and a late afternoon running fix before the fog closed in. Truthfully, I don't think we got morning or evening stars more than two or three times.

If I was going to make that trip today I'd leave Santa Barbara and head past San Miguel and then north westerly for 2-1/2 or 3 days--to the old Clippership route--before flopping over on port. Be sure you have a good autopilot or wind vane and a good dodger. Weather cloths are also helpful and bring lots of warm cloths and Good weather gear">foul weather gear that will keep you dry. You'll need it! (Are you sure you don't want to jst ship the yacht?) Bring lots of Ginger Ale and Ginger Snaps. You'll need these too, even if you think you don't suffer from sea-sickness.

N'any case, good luck!

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 25-03-2009, 17:43   #7

Boat: Herreshoff 12 1/2
Send a message via Skype™ to keelhauled
Hi Dan -

I'm currently in Costa Rica but spent 7 years working as a sailing instructor for Windworks in Ballard. I need to make a trip back up there and would be interested in talking with you about joining your crew.

Cheers,

Greg Watson
Old 30-03-2009, 06:31   #8

Hi Greg, Thanks for your reply. Yes, I'd like to talk to you as well. I'm in Ensenada until Thursday April 2 - Then I'll meander up to Santa Barbara with my wife. She leaves the boat on the April 28. Launch date is April 29 or 30, or when weather window opens. My contact info is here:
Catalina 42:*Elysium
Old 31-03-2009, 09:26   #9

Boat: Morgan 41 Out Island "Sugar Bear"
I sailed San Francisco to Coos Bay early November last year. I usually waited for a 3 day window of good weather before making a run to next stop. Best to get weather from Coast Guard as most reliable. Go online with UGRIB is also good but don't trust it completely as it took me into a severe gale. There are many Ports of refuge along the way but many are not advisable in strong westerlies to north westerlies. Charlies Charts is a great book to have. The offshore route might be the best way to go as those rocks are pretty hard on the lee shore. Good luck. I will be sailing from Coos Bay to Victoria early June to catch the full moon.

Old 31-03-2009, 10:09   #10

Thanks alibaba.e for the sound advice. I am considering the off shore option, particulary if I have a third crew member. I have the Charlies Chart book and agree that it is a good resource. I also have 3G internet (with spotty coverage) and SIRIUS satellite weather.
Old 31-03-2009, 21:16   #11

Boat: Morgan 41 Out Island "Sugar Bear"
You seem quite prepared. The time of year you are departing is the best for this trip. I stated that I am leaving in early June but it should have read early May so maybe we will meet up. Remember that your ship can handle just about any weather, many ships have been abandoned that kept sailing on while the crew left in a small life raft. In April and May you may catch the last of the southern storms which will give you a nice push along your voyage. Have a great and memorable trip.
Allen
Old 03-04-2009, 13:33   #12

Hi there I am interested in crewing for you. I am 25 very fit and have been sailing my whole life. I am very safe and laid back. I have a 42 ft wharram and just finished 1200 miles around the gulf. I now the west coast well. I also have my masters lisence and medical training. I am well versed in rigging and electronics. I do installs and fiberglass work on the side. I will be in the area in about a week but will stick around if needed for crew. Thanks for the interest.

Regards, David
davidagirvin@yahoo.com
Old 03-04-2009, 14:32   #13

Thanks David,

I'm still talking to people interested in filling the third spot. I replied to your yahoo address.
Old 03-04-2009, 14:40   #14

I mixed my two emails sorry here is the real one. davidagirvin@gmail.com sorry.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:06   #15

Boat: Herreshoff 12 1/2
Send a message via Skype™ to keelhauled
Hi Dan - Internet cafe just closing (after being closed for the past three days. go figure.) I'll get more to you monday - still interested - - Greg

Tags
crew, delivery, seattle