Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-04-2014, 11:19   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1
Florida Keys Sailing

Hi All,

I am new to the forum as a member but have enjoyed reading various threads from time to time. I arrive here now in a bit of conundrum, I have booked a bare boat charter leaving out of Ft. Lauderdale on April 26th, Returning to Ft. Lauderdale on May 3rd. I had 3 folks lined up to go on the trip, and one by one, they have all had to back out for various calamities. The charter is already paid for and while I could single hand it all week, it would be more interesting and fun to have some company. I am putting this out as an open invitation for crew to join me for part or all of the trip.

The Boat

S/V Tropical Depression
93 Hunter 30T
Well decked out for cruising

The Charter Company
Marty and Mari Minari are good friends of mine. I have known Mari since high school. They started B&G Sailing Adventures last year and live aboard their 40' Lagoon "Mulligan". They are wonderful people and I am actually their first "bare boat" charter customer aboard Tropical Depression.

Me
I started Sailing in Boy scouts, raced 16 footers. Moved on to Hobie cats, mostly all inland sailing. A friend dragged me to the BVI for a 10 day charter, and I have been hooked on Big Water sailing ever since. ASA 104 certified. Have sailed big cats and monohulls, prefer cruising now to racing (must come with age). Getting very near to the place where I can buy a boat and move onto it, somewhere on the Atlantic. I work in IT by day and am a professional musician by night. I do a solo acoustic show, mostly classic rock, some country, all Fun. I will be bringing my guitar. I am a pretty good cook and I am an avid reader. As a skipper, Safety is my first concern, and keeping a safe and happy crew is part of the fun for me.

You
In need of a relaxing vacation. Interested in Sailing or learning to sail. I would like it if you have SOME boat experience, either motor or sail, but it's not a hard and fast requirement. Have a good attitude willing to pitch in where needed. Be able to get on the boat in Fort Lauderdale on April 26th. Be willing to cover your own expenses to and from the boat, and pitch in for groceries for the week.

Itinerary
The plan is to depart Ft. Lauderdale on Saturday, Spend the week bouncing down the keys to Marathon and back. Some possible stops include Marina Del Mar, Holiday Isle Marina, Marathon Marina, Craysfort Reef, Elbow Reef, Sombrero Reef. This will be a pretty laid back trip.

I know what you are thinking, "who is this land lubber skipper jumping on to this forum and asking ppl to put their life in his hands?" (whistling the Gilligan's Island theme) Valid concern of course. So before you start Flaming me, ask yourself what you would do in my situation. Boat and plane tickets are paid for, facing the prospect of a week alone for your yearly sailing vacation ...You would probably post here for crew as well.

PM or email Dwcaster AT gmail dot com. if you are interested. I have room for 3 people.

Thanks,
Darren (CaptainDerwood)

Tags
florida, florida keys, sail, sailing