Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2008, 08:20   #1

Boat: Bavaria 47 - Panache
Send a message via MSN to Fire Cracker
Crew Needed Annapolis to Virgin Islands Nov 1

Hello,

We have a Bavaria 47 with 5 double cabins, 2 heads and a large open living space. I am 35, a pilot for United Airlines and my husband is 41, an experienced Yacht Captain and Engineer. At this time we only have the 2 of us and our 4 year old daughter. We hope to sail to Australia, but we're taking it one leg at a time. We've spent 2 years living aboard and refitting our boat for this type of sailing. We have new sails, and we'll splash today with a completely new bottom - New Barrier Coat and all. We had friends from Sydney that were going to crew the entire trip, and they just cancelled.

This would be a perfect trip for another couple who wants to get some experience.

Please PM me if you are interested or know of anyone who may be interested in either the leg from Annapolis to VI or the South Pacific crossing in Feb 2009.

Thank you!
Old 09-10-2008, 08:48   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
You can't get the 4yr old to stand a decent watch????????

Sounds like you will be embarking on a wonderful trip......BEST WISHES in finding compatible crew!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. WELCOME TOO!
Old 09-10-2008, 11:22   #3

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
The 1500 leaves the 2nd of November from Hampton to Tortola. Steve@carib1500 .com may have some left-over volunteer crew. He, however, doesn't appreciate tag-alongs not registered with the Rally. There will be a Rally reunion this evening at 5PM at Mears - he will be there.
Old 09-10-2008, 18:22   #4

Boat: (between boats)
Hello,
The timing is great for me and possibly one other crew depending on timing/routing. I am finishing up work and then moving down to live aboard on my cat - currently in Tortola. Sailing down would be a great experience - far better than flying! I e-mailed you off-list but no reply?

Thanks,
Scott.
Old 11-10-2008, 20:22   #5

Boat: Morgan 22
Hi,

I imagine you've already made crew arrangements by now, but if not, I'm interested. The schedule is perfect and it looks like we have a lot in common. There's also an outside chance that my wife and our four year old son could join as well. I also emailed you off-list and hope to hear from you. In any case, have an excellent trip!

Cheers, --Nick
Old 16-10-2008, 15:49   #6

To Autrailia

Firecracker-

I may be able to join you on the passage to Australia. I currently will be sailing from Annapolis to the islands around the beginning of November then back to Maryland to tie up loose ends but then looking for another opportunity to head back out on the water.

Please e-mail if interested. Thanks, Mike
Old 29-10-2008, 19:35   #7

Hi!

If you haven't already filled the position, it sounds perfect for my husband and I. We are in our mid twenties and currently in Ft. Lauderdale. We were hoping to find a boat just like yours. We have an extremely flexible schedule and are up for any adventure. We are both chefs, my husband a chef and I am a pastry chef. I have 3 months of sailing experience in the South Pacific and one blue water sail under my belt from NZ to Fiji. Please email me back at : m_anna83@hotmail.com if you have the crew spots available. We are willing to cook, clean, sail, and help out in any way in exchange for passage! Thanks!
Sincerely,
Anna Holberg
Old 30-10-2008, 15:31   #8

Boat: nacra f18 infusion
hello

hello,

I am verry intressted in a new adventure .
i'm living now for 2.5 years in the caribean and want something else.
i know how to sail even before i can walk
was for 1,5 years manager on a sailing school in the caribean and opend my own after that . but now i want some adventure.
do you need someone to help whit taking care of the condition of the boat( maintaince e.t.c) and as a nightwatch , sailing and more ?

kind regards ,
randy
Old 17-11-2008, 08:33   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
I just heard on another forum that this boat ran into issues and the crew abandoned ship.
Old 17-11-2008, 08:36   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
hope not!

I hope not, abandoning with a four year old would be an especially tramatic experience.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
I just heard on another forum that this boat ran into issues and the crew abandoned ship.
Old 17-11-2008, 08:54   #11

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
Charlie,
What's the story?
Old 17-11-2008, 09:13   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
I started another thread on it>

Sunday 16th November 12:38 pm Bermuda Maritime Operations Centre received a call from the U.S. Coast Guard Atlantic Area Command Centre advising the 48 foot S/V PANACHE was in distress and requesting evacuation of the crew. The PANACHE was about 180 miles west-northwest of Bermuda and suffered mechanical rigging problems encountering severe weather conditions with 5 persons onboard, including a 4 year old child. The U.S. Coast Guard elected to evacuate the crew using a Helicopter which completed the winch operation at 5:50 pm and landed safely at Bermuda at 7:00 pm. The crew of PANACHE required no hospital treatment and were resting after their evacuation and safe arrival at Bermuda.
Old 17-11-2008, 09:36   #13

From the Coast Guard:
PORTSMOUTH, Va. - A Coast Guard helicopter crew hoisted four adults and one 4-year-old girl to safety Sunday afternoon 175 nautical miles west-northwest of Bermuda after their sailboat became disabled.
The sailors aboard the 47-foot sailboat, Panache, lost steering and propulsion while transiting to St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands, from Annapolis, Md., and contacted the Coast Guard via satallite phone requesting assistance. An HC-130J Hercules aircraft crew from Elizabeth City, N.C., marked the position of the sailboat and vectored the Elizabeth City MH-60J Jayhawk helicopter in. After being hoisted to safety the five people were taken to Bermuda.
During the hoist, the winds were more than 30 knots and the seas were 15 feet.
The Jayhawk crew was able to complete the rescue with the assistance of watchstanders at the Rescue Coordination Center in Portsmouth, the Hercules aircraft crew providing on scene communications, and the Coast Guard Cutter Legare who will provide fuel for the helicopter to return Monday afternoon.

Old 27-11-2008, 21:49   #14

Boat: Bavaria 47 - Panache
Send a message via MSN to Fire Cracker
I am the owner, Shannon. Everything on the boat was sound and we did not panic in any way at all; I am an airline pilot of 12 years (20 years of flying) and have handled some severe mishaps in my career (to include a full loss of flight controls: my tail ripped itself apart in flight). At the video of our rescue we felt we had finally found calm seas, but ready for worse, as forecasted. We went through 50 foot waves and over 70mph winds for 3 days. We are only one of three boats lost in this freak weather as far as we know: one an 118 foot Ketch, and a 42' Catamaran abandoned also near our position. The Cat had a vessel pick them up (calmer seas) and take them to Turkey. We were lucky to go to Bermuda! The other boat, which our insurance is handling, is a 118 foot Ketch. The boat is destroyed, but they lost all communications and could not ask for a rescue. Their EPIRB went in the water, and all communications destroyed. I duct taped the Satellite phone to my chest so I have a hard time understanding this. The 118' Ketch with 8 full time crew also lost their helms person overboard (without a tether! but successfully rescued.) They flooded the engine room and caught fire. They had no choice except to limp the boat into Bermuda. My insurance man says it's the most beautiful boat he's ever seen.

Sorry, from another thread....
You can sit in your slip (or anchor) and judge, but I've seen hell, and non forecasted hell. My family is alive, so I believe that we made the right decision to leave our prized yacht. All 5 cremembers were highly experienced and never sea sick through the whole experience. We did our best. Judge as you will, but we've lost every material thing we owned, and prevented it in every way possible, so only kindness and not judgement is accepted at this point.

My daughter was not the deciding factor. She is strong and tough and always safe and secure. She hung on to her home and her toys. Please do not judge us anymore. We have lost enough.

Love,
Shannon
Old 28-11-2008, 02:31   #15

Glad to hear you guys are OK and would be honoured to sail with you and learn from your experiences on any trip you decide to do in the future.
Life is boring without challenge!!!

R's

Auschick

Tags
annapolis, Virgin Islands