Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2015, 22:22   #1

Australia to South America Dec 2015 start

Hi All,

Looking for a couple of people to join me and my yacht on a trip to South America with stop overs along the pacific islands including Pitcairn and Easter Is...

I'm in my late 30s, ex military and then banking and finance, well traveled, easy going, sociable etc sailed on and off for last 20 years on all kinds of boats and looking for like minded people that want to get away on an adventure...

Yacht is a 30footer so not big, though with decent headroom and space, long keel built in aluminium setup to handle all kinds of weather (and tested

Ideally I'd like 3 people so myself plus 2 others that have the time and money to get away..I'll cover all boat related expenses in terms of maintenance but would look to share any fuel costs, marina costs (if we choose to stay in a marina) and food costs...

Plan to depart Sydney early Oct, then head up north past Brisbane and once the blow clears, head over so around December...
Old 15-05-2015, 23:09   #2

Re: Australia to South America Dec 2015 start

December is the cyclone, storm season in the west pacific. The excepted routes are via NZ keeping out of the trades. Plan on reaching Easter island around Dec Jan for south America. One very rough trip in a big boat, 30' ?.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
Old 15-05-2015, 23:35   #3

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedolphin View Post
Hi All,

Looking for a couple of people to join me and my yacht on a trip to South America with stop overs along the pacific islands including Pitcairn and Easter Is...

I'm in my late 30s, ex military and then banking and finance, well traveled, easy going, sociable etc sailed on and off for last 20 years on all kinds of boats and looking for like minded people that want to get away on an adventure...

Yacht is a 30footer so not big, though with decent headroom and space, long keel built in aluminium setup to handle all kinds of weather (and tested

Ideally I'd like 3 people so myself plus 2 others that have the time and money to get away..I'll cover all boat related expenses in terms of maintenance but would look to share any fuel costs, marina costs (if we choose to stay in a marina) and food costs...

Plan to depart Sydney early Oct, then head up north past Brisbane and once the blow clears, head over so around December...
Your planning on leaving Queensland in December?

I would have thought sticking to a lower latitude would be prudent.
Old 16-05-2015, 00:05   #4

You're all correct and I got the timeframes mixed up...not leaving Queensland till blow is over but will be tracking up north slowly...so not leaving Australia till around April/May season pending
Old 16-05-2015, 03:48   #5

Quote:
You're all correct and I got the timeframes mixed up...not leaving Queensland till blow is over but will be tracking up north slowly...so not leaving Australia till around April/May season pending
that's a safer start I think.

Welcome to CF by the way
Old 16-05-2015, 07:08   #6

Really i don't think i want to get on the boat with someone that is so far off on his safe travel.December is the cyclone, storm season in the west pacific. You said you have plenty
sailing experience i personally don't think a season sailer would be months off on his or her travel. also i don't think its a typo era either, Good luck on your crew!!
Old 16-05-2015, 16:53   #7

Boat: Capt11-Aluminium sloop twin keel twin rudders-11m

Hi all,

I'm no weather/season expert, but even April/May seems a bit off as a departure date for such a long crossing in such a .. short boat? Wouldn't a Jan-March time frame be more like it? Leaving in Apr-May puts you in the start of the Southern winter. July on Pitcairn..
Old 16-05-2015, 17:52   #8

Quote:
Hi All,

hey thedolphin i might be interested send me an email SPARTAN117ian@hotmail.com
Old 16-05-2015, 19:24   #9

Boat: Landlocked right now.

Quote:
Hi All,

Looking for a couple of people to join me and my yacht on a trip to South America with stop overs along the pacific islands including Pitcairn and Easter Is...[]

Yacht is a 30footer so not big [].
Crossing the Pacific against the trades in a 30fter starting in December in QLD? Good luck with that.
Old 17-05-2015, 06:28   #10

Boat: Hallberg Rassy
Send a message via Skype™ to oceanis393

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoxograph View Post
Crossing the Pacific against the trades in a 30fter starting in December in QLD? Good luck with that.
I agree... not a good idea with a30 f...
Old 19-05-2015, 17:24   #11

Boat: Clipper Mk II , 17 ft fractional rigged sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoxograph View Post
surely crossing against trade winds difficult at best, sailing south to the roaring forties would be the go .how ever in a 30ft boat,it would be a wild ride. take plenty of eperibs
Old 20-05-2015, 03:00   #12

Gee's guys, give the guy a break. He said he'd change his plans. How about welcoming him to CF instead of scaring him off!
Old 20-05-2015, 06:30   #13

Who do you believe re naving across the ponds

Hello Salties,
I follow with interest the input from so many seasoned sailors on this site. And I read above the commentary re trade winds /cyclone season etc = yes I know that they are right about what they say. However as the bands of good weather and bad weather are always moving - I can never be sure why people choose particular routes at particular time. So . . . my question is: How am I to understand these factors?
I read biographies of circumnavigators sailing east to west while others sailing west to east. Some choose to stay low some reason while others head straight to the near equatorial bands, while other sit in the trade winds then find themselves becalmed. Surely its not just about trial and error.
- How do I learn about these meteorological knowns? (or unknowns).
Cheers,
MainMan
Old 20-05-2015, 15:36   #14

Boat: Clipper Mk II , 17 ft fractional rigged sloop
Talking Re: Who do you believe re naving across the ponds

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainMan View Post
Hello Salties,
I follow with interest the input from so many seasoned sailors on this site. And I read above the commentary re trade winds /cyclone season etc = yes I know that they are right about what they say. However as the bands of good weather and bad weather are always moving - I can never be sure why people choose particular routes at particular time. So . . . my question is: How am I to understand these factors?
I read biographies of circumnavigators sailing east to west while others sailing west to east. Some choose to stay low some reason while others head straight to the near equatorial bands, while other sit in the trade winds then find themselves becalmed. Surely its not just about trial and error.
Cheers,
MainMan
earth :: a global map of wind, weather, and ocean conditions look at this
Old 20-05-2015, 16:10   #15

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Who do you believe re naving across the ponds

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainMan View Post
Hello Salties,.....
Cheers,
MainMan
This may help Global Sailing Weather - marine weather information, forecast charts, and analyses for sailors and mariners.

Tags
Australia, South America