Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2007, 14:38   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
PNW Question?

I have been studying the charts on how to get to Astoria from Neah Bay w/o arriving at night. My boat will do 8 knots. The first option that I see is to get up really early in the morning (0300) and headng the 125nm miles to Grays Harbor. In studying the charts that I have I don't see any place for a boat with a 6' (2 meter) draft to pull in before Grays Harbor. I'd prefer not to get up so early but will do it if I need to.

The second option is to do the run from Neah Bay to Astoria in a single 24 hour run. If I left Neah Bay at say 0930 I would arrive in Astoria at about the same time the next day.

I have 4 friends on boasrd for the trip. Two have never sailed (one surfer, the other a lake power boater). One has never sailed on the ocean but is a SF Bay racer. And the other is retired US Navy and a sailor.

Goals for the trip are 1)Adventure, 2) to have fun, 3) shake down the boat in the ocean, and 4) Did I say have fun.

After explaining my situation here I'm leaning toward the 24 hour run.

Does anyone know of an anchorage between Neah Bay and Grays Harbor?

Am I missing out by not going to Grays Harbor?

BTW the boat has radar and GPS.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 14:49   #2

Hey Charlie!!!

I noticed, that you have no photos of that Sceptre 41. Do you have any plans, for posting "any" photos of that boat of yours, anytime soon!!

Looking forward in hearing about your shake cruise.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 15:34   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Grays Harbor and Willapa Bay are it -- and shoot, if you're going to Astoria, you're almost there by the time you get to either of them. The rest of the coast north doesn't have any harbors and you certainly don't want to get too close -- if you aren't familiar with that part of the Washington coast, I'll just summarize: stay offshore!

I also suggest that you be very conscious of the Columbia Bar conditions and try and time your arrival, accordingly. In case you aren't familiar with it, this link can get you started: Columbia River bar hazards

Have fun!

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 17:34   #4

Boat: PDQ 32
I've done that trip twice, once as crew and recently as skipper. I agree with ID - the whole trip is about planning for the bar.

It is possible to put in at LaPush, about 30 nm south of Cape Flattery but I wouldn't do so unless you are in trouble. Just be aware of it and carry the detailed entrance chart.

With your large crew and a radar, there is no reason not to sail overnight and do the trip in one leg.

Have a great trip.
charlie p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 07:26   #5

Cap K:
I'll try and post some soon. Don't have any of her sailing but there are a few at rest.

ID:
Thanks for the link on the Bar I will monitor that actively before leaving Neah Bay.

Charlie p:
Nice handle you have. I don't have a very detailed chart of LaPush but will get one before I leave.

As I studied the charts I thought that I would keep about 5 miles offshore and follow the 25 fathom bank down the coast. There are a few islands and lots of rocks allthe way down the coast.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 04-08-2007, 08:36   #6

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
As above!

And may I suggest that you assign 2 or 4 hour watches each during the night trip depending on the individual. I would think your ex-Navy guy would be your best asset aboard, that's if he's had any small boat experiances.

I don't know when your leaving, but right now you have a good weather window for a shake-down cruise.

http://www.accuweather.com/maps-sate...e=1&anim=STILL

Enjoy, and do watch that Columbia River bank!!!!!! Time it for a slack tide!
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:02   #7

Thanks Del:
The Ex-Navy guy is pretty good with small boats. I'll probably go with 4 hour watches. It is pretty hard to get your gear off, back on, and some rest in 2 hours. While we range in age from 35 to 60 one night of staying up all night isn't ging to kill us It is the lack of mental thought process that you lose from being awake 24 hours that I don't like. I'll start watches around 1600. By good fortune slack is at 0930 so a departure at that same time the day before will work out well. It is also turning to a flood so It should be a nice ride.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 04-08-2007, 10:40   #8

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
None of you should have to stay up all night. While one is at the helm (one 2 hour watch) a second can be on stand by. By rotating personnel all should have plenty of rest. And only 2-hour watches allows one to stay alert.

With four people this is a routine I'm familiar with. This is assuming your 5th person may not be qualified to handle the helm or rigging.

1600 hours
Sailor 1: Starts at the helm.
Sailor 2: Stands by to assist with sails and rigging.
Sailor 3 & 4: Sleep or rest

1800 hours
Sailor 2: Takes the helm.
Sailor 3: Stands by
Sailor 4 & 1: Sleep or rest

2000 hours
Sailor 3: Take the helm
Sailor 4: Stands by
Sailor 1 & 2: Sleep or rest

2200 hours
Sailor 4: Takes the helm
Sailor 1: Stands by
Sailor 2 & 3: sleep or rest

Sailor 1: Takes the helm
Sailor 2: Stands by
Sailor 3 & 4: Sleep or rest

And so on. A vessel of your size should not need a full crew to run the boat except is stressed situations. The better organized the more pleasurable the trip. And the older crew would be better at late hours. Younger ones want to drift off.

Others here may have other routines. But a routine should be in place. For all to stay up all night is a formula for problems. Decision making is an important issue at sea......................_/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:28   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Charlie,
My friends just did that route, Neah to Astoria. They motored the whole way because of light winds. The next day after they pulled into Astoria the winds came up out of the Southwest and they were lucky enough to have made port before that. Watch your weather window. They too had to wait with other boats until the CG gave the all clear at the bar.
I've never made the trip but find it pretty interesting in that I will some day. Good luck.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 21:38   #10

Another me too!

I'm planning that trip for September, assuming I can get back up before winter. Would love to hear how you made out, a description of planning and reality.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 08:15   #11

Amgine:
I will be doing the trip in September as well. We will start that leg of the trip from Port Townsend on 9/9 and then head to Port Angeles, Neah Bay and then an overnight trip to Astoria. I'll post the planning I have done so far when I have more time.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 12-08-2007, 10:28   #12

Mid-September

I'm hoping to head out from Vancouver Sept. 15th, general itinerary is Victoria, Port Angeles, Neah Bay, and long jump to anything-near-the-mouth-of-Columbia that has showers. I have a few repairs to do, additions after this summer's cruise, but nothing likely to prevent the trip. Weather and money, however, are other matters...

Old 12-08-2007, 10:40   #13

Our schedules are just a liittle bit off. I plan on stopping in Astoria and pulling the boat out on the hard for the winter. Are you headed further South or going back to Canada?

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 12-08-2007, 10:52   #14

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Hi Charlie,
I should be at the Wooden Boat Festival on the 8th of Sep. Are you going to be there?
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 17:48   #15

Charlie: Back to Canada. It's yet another shakedown of the boat and me (mostly me.) I'm actually looking for a place to pull out on the hard too; somewhere on the Sunshine Coast hopefully. Is there a reason you'll be hauling in Astoria?

SkiprJohn: If you'll be at the Woodenboat Fest, I suppose I ought to make an effort to get there this year... <wink> I just hate setting myself up for heartbreak, seeing all those *gorgeous* boats.