Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2013, 22:19   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Re: New Zealand or Australia For Pacific Bound Sailors

The Coastal Passage is best described as a rag. One man's agenda and battle against the customs would be a good description of this "publication". Best to ignore it as a source of reliable information seems to be the majority opinion of the boating world over here.

Coops.
Old 20-12-2013, 22:36   #32

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
The Coastal Passage is best described as a rag. One man's agenda and battle against the customs would be a good description of this "publication". Best to ignore it as a source of reliable information seems to be the majority opinion of the boating world over here.

Coops.
Agree completely, Coops. The chap seems to have some attitude issues... and it's too bad, because in other hands (or with other agendas) it could be a useful medium. As is, wouldn't trust anything (editorial) published. Some of the contributed pieces are OK, and Alan Lucas's monthly jibes are often a hoot.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 20-12-2013, 23:10   #33
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Don't completely ignore Fiji. Whilst still officially a developing nation (I hate the term "third world) it offers first world maintenance and refit services at cheaper prices than NZ, marina berthage at Vuda is cheaper than NZ and airfares to NZ are probably cheaper than sailing the boat there. If looking at schooling or work your options will be a lot fewer but with cheaper living costs you may be able to do some extra cruising. Vuda has proven itself several times now as a good cyclone marina.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 23:40   #34

Boat: Trismus 37

I would say NZ the first trip, Yes it can blow a bit going too and from but normally nothing serious that a capable cruiser couldn't handle. Most folk love the Bay of Islands and Whangarei as having everything you might need as a yachty and for the family.
NZ's east coast of the North Island down to Tauranga, is a great sailing area.
South Island: Marlborough Sounds / Nelson different but good cruising, If you are more adventurous there is Fiordland towards the bottom of the South Island Etc, Etc. and the Chathams if you are really adventurous!
then next year sail to New Cal / Vanuatu or vice versa then across to Ausie for the next cyclone season, you have a greater chance of cyclone conditions around northern Queensland than in NZ.
There must be a preponderance of Aussie's answering at the moment, or a dearth of Kiwi's. Remember there are more beautiful anchorages and bays and Islands between North cape and Tauranga than there are between Brisbane and Gladstone, and no coaling ports, exclusion zones etc.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 00:12   #35

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Nelson is a good spot for a young family. Often have families in the Marina. Walking distance to city centre, supermarkets etc. Weather is very good and cooler temperatures often said to be a relief from an extended time in the tropics. Good nearby anchorages or moorings if you don't want to pay the NZ$30 / day visitor fee.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 12:12   #36

There are exclusion zones between Brisbane and Gladstone??????
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 12:25   #37

Boat: Trismus 37

military, at certain times apparently.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 12:26   #38
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: New Zealand or Australia For Pacific Bound Sailors

Will second the Bay of Islands.. have some friends expanding a B/yard down there... and they've kids as well..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 12:27   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
Yeh the Kiwis have that one up on us. Even if they do eat kittens.
You guys all sound like NZ beat your favorite team in a footie match
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 12:39   #40
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
You guys all sound like NZ beat your favorite team in a footie match
Well... the All Blacks have played OZ 149 times, drawn 6, lost 41 and beaten OZ 102 times... so yup.. there's a tad of bitterness there..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 21-12-2013, 12:40   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pope View Post
Nope. Incorrect. The Shoalwater Bay military training area is a fair way North of Gladstone.
In terms of good anchorages between Brisbane and Gladstone, there are countless.

The entire West coast of World heritage listed Fraser island is an anchorage. The Great Barrier reef starts a day's sail north.

It's possible of course, to cherry pick certain parts of the NSW/Qld coast that do not have a high concentration of good anchorages, but there are other parts where there are hundreds of incredible anchorages within short distances.
Old 21-12-2013, 12:46   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Well... the All Blacks have played OZ 149 times, drawn 6, lost 41 and beaten OZ 102 times... so yup.. there's a tad of bitterness there..
Bitterness? Not really. Rugby union is a pretty minor sport in Aus. Rugby League is far more popular. Australia rarely loses a rugby league match to anyone. Stats are something like 92-29 in Australia's favour.

Cricket is also far more popular here than union. NZ doesn't beat us at that very often either. They haven't won a series since 1989. And they've only won 3 series since 1945.

In terms of popularity, I think even soccer may be overtaking union...
Old 21-12-2013, 12:57   #43
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Bitterness? Not really. Rugby union is a pretty minor sport in Aus. Rugby League is far more popular. Australia rarely loses a rugby league match to anyone.

Cricket is also far more popular here than union. NZ doesn't beat us at that very often either.

In terms of popularity, I think even soccer may be overtaking union...
I thought OZ's favourite sport was that crazy footie you play where its a mix...
Congrats on the 'Ashes' by the way..

Old 21-12-2013, 13:02   #44

Thanks. I'm actually a little disappointed in the Ashes. Thought it would be a close, hard fought series. We're absolutely slaughtering them. Way it's going, it'll be a real shock if we don't win 5-0.
Old 21-12-2013, 13:40   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
The Coastal Passage is best described as a rag. One man's agenda and battle against the customs would be a good description of this "publication". Best to ignore it as a source of reliable information seems to be the majority opinion of the boating world over here. Coops.
Bob (he is an american guy by the way) is inclined to hyperbole and is somewhat eccentric but his underlying motivation is good, he really is trying to keep the cruising life less affected by regulation, and for that I applaud him. And at the end of the day some of the issues raised needed raising, the Australian Customs Service seems to have a view that it can make up its own rules rather than following legislation, on many many issues. Which is not to say that ACS personnel have been anything but professional in my dealings with them, but things like making up rules that don't exist in legislation do annoy him as much as me.

Quote:
I would say NZ the first trip, Yes it can blow a bit going too and from but normally nothing serious that a capable cruiser couldn't handle. Most folk love the Bay of Islands and Whangarei as having everything you might need as a yachty and for the family.
NZ's east coast of the North Island down to Tauranga, is a great sailing area.
South Island: Marlborough Sounds / Nelson different but good cruising, If you are more adventurous there is Fiordland towards the bottom of the South Island Etc, Etc. and the Chathams if you are really adventurous!
then next year sail to New Cal / Vanuatu or vice versa then across to Ausie for the next cyclone season, you have a greater chance of cyclone conditions around northern Queensland than in NZ.
There must be a preponderance of Aussie's answering at the moment, or a dearth of Kiwi's. Remember there are more beautiful anchorages and bays and Islands between North cape and Tauranga than there are between Brisbane and Gladstone, and no coaling ports, exclusion zones etc.
Everything that Steve says about NZ is true, in my limited experience, its a truly great country. But there are NO exclusion zones between Brisbane and Gladstone and no coaling ports until you get to Gladstone. As 44C said Shoalwater Bay can from time to time have some but thats not an area that really is all that attractive anyway, much better off staying out on the reef islands.

Quote:
Nope - see above.

See if you can get hold of Alan Lucas "Cruising the Coral Coast" (thats all of the Queensland Coast, and "Cruising the NSW Coast". A read of those should tell you whether or not it is for you.

I refer to my earlier comment, "do both".

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Thanks. I'm actually a little disappointed in the Ashes. Thought it would be a close, hard fought series. We're absolutely slaughtering them. Way it's going, it'll be a real shock if we don't win 5-0.
Of course 44c is anti pom (England) on two fronts - he is Australian and Scottish.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, New Zealand, sail