Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2016, 13:16   #1

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)
Looking for info + Slip/Mooring in Seattle

Relatively new to Seattle, so still getting to know the area. Have a 38' sailing cat (21' beam) arriving this summer. Looks like there are a handful of big marinas (Shilshole, Elliot Bay) and dozens of small places w/ 1-2 docks along the ship canal and lakes. Also some places down near west seattle and the commercial shipping area.

Would love a general orientation, where the higher prices are, any places that are better deals. Salt vs fresh water. How much will it suck to go through the bridges and locks from lake union every time you go out. Vs just driving to Edmonds or Duwamish. Is the wind better north or south? Drive to Des Moines? Do people rent mooring balls near their homes near the train bridge west of the locks?

Thanks!!

Mark
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:58   #2

Boat: Tartan 3700
Re: Looking for info + Slip/Mooring in Seattle

Just my two cents...

In the city you'll probably find Shilshole and Duwamish to be a little cheaper than Elliot Bay. They're both Port of Seattle marinas while Elliot Bay is private. I don't know as far as availability for Shilshole and Duwamish but for the three years I've been there, Elliot Bay seems to get pretty full around mid-May. I think Elliot Bay has the nicest facilities and is the nicest overall. Edmonds is about 20 minutes from downtown. Another option on Puget Sound would be Eagle Harbor which is a 30 minute ferry ride from downtown.

I would say a lot of it depends on where you live and where you want to go. Duwamish is about 30-45 mins south of Elliot Bay, Elliot Bay is about an hour south of Shilshole, and Shilshole is an hour and a half south of Edmonds (assuming ~6 kts as direct as possible.) So Duwamish could end up being a couple hours longer trip to Port Townsend than Edmonds if you wanted to go there for the weekend. I personally prefer Seattle and north. If you live in Des Moines (couldn't tell from the post) Duwamish is going to be significantly easier to get to than Elliot Bay or Shilshole.

It's fun to be on Lake Union but it can take anywhere from an hour to four hours (not often but it happens) to get between it an the Puget Sound so if you're planning on doing a lot of shorter trips in Puget Sound I'd suggest looking for something outside the locks.

I haven't noticed a material difference in the wind north vs south.

Anyway, hope that helps.
brianc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 22:21   #3

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianc View Post
I haven't noticed a material difference in the wind north vs south.

Anyway, hope that helps.
Thanks Brian. I live on Portage Bay (where 520 meets the 5) across from Seattle YC. Oddly enough, google shows them all being 20 min +/- 5 min drive time. Edmonds feels far, but w/ I-5 vs Mercer vs across N Seattle they are all pretty similar.

The other factor is easier access for friends. East side folks probably more likely to want to come to Elliot or Shilshole. Elliot probably better for after work gatherings (I work downtown). What do you think of Bell Harbor?

I talked to Elliot Bay and they have lots of openings now, but the boat doesn't arrive till June/July and they don't let you hold it too long. Waiting to hear back from Shilshole.

Thanks again,

Mark
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:46   #4

Boat: Tartan 3700

We're pretty close, I'm in Eastlake. It's definitely shorter by about 5-10 mins for me to get to Elliot Bay than to Shilshole...not a ton but if you're doing it a lot it makes a difference. Another consideration if you don't drive to work, from downtown Elliot Bay is way easier to get to/from on the bus than Shilshole. Traffic to Edmonds might add another 10-15 mins if you're going up after work on a Friday.

Bell Harbor only has monthly moorage in the winter (something like late September - May.) Summer is all nightly rates.

Brian
brianc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring, seattle