Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2005, 16:50   #1

Question Leaving Australia

Hi All,
New to the board as a participant instead of an observer and keen reader. My self and my lovely partner are planning to buy an offshore boat around Feb and head off up the Aus coast into Indonesia and Thailand the hopefully to the Med for her 50th. I am unsure weather to buy the boat here in NZ or in Aus, partly because I don't know the rules about leaving Aus. I know in NZ it all has to meet Cat 1. Can anyone tell me the requirements if I purchase a boat in Aus, register it as a NZ vessal then head off from Aus on our adventure?? Any help would be great. Oh, and if you have a boat around 40-44 ft ,offshore capable, around 100-150K, don't be shy in promoting it to me.
Thanks for your time.
Enzwell.
enzwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2005, 00:03   #2
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Can't help you with the Oz stuff but think it's cool there's another Kiwi here. Soon we'll have enough for a hostile takeover.
Being a Kiwi on an international sight almost makes me lose sight of the fact that some of you may actually be from north of the Bombay Hills
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2005, 21:22   #3

Boat: Island Packet 35
Here's another kiwi, lobbed in Oz. Good luck with looking Enzwell - we looked and were unable to find anything interesting in the brackets you mention. So far as I know you don't need the Cat 1 clearances to leave Oz in an Oz boat - I don't know what issues your registration of a boat located in Oz in NZ will raise. I will be interested to hear.

Best

Jeff
Bugged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2005, 22:48   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Not sure either. You probably want to get onto an Oz equivilant of YNZ and ask them some questions.
One thing that has changed just recently, if you are a foriegn registered boat and come into NZ, then you must have Cat 1 to leave.
I still think NZ is the place to buy a boat. They seem to be best prepared and at the best prices compared to anywhere else I have looked.
If you get one that has just come back from a trip, then it is usually all ready to go again, bar some updates on perishable stores.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2005, 23:43   #5
cruiser

Agree with Alan. NZ seems to offer much better options than Oz at the same prices (remember, our dollar is about to take a serious nose dive). The boats are also a lot easier to get to without travelling huge distances.

Hey Gord. Us Kiwis almost need our own forum
Just kidding, it's great getting the perspective from such a diverse range of people.
Old 22-12-2005, 15:06   #6

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Kiwis

Lets not forget BC Mike up here in Kelowna BC.
Another Kiwi is the local plonk master, used to be at Montana.

Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2005, 01:09   #7

Thanks for the replies. I was aware that I wouldn't need Cat 1 but are there any other requirements or do they just say "goodbye and goodluck". Am still undecided about buying here or there, I suppose the boat selection and price will be the biggest factor. Problem with leaving here is that I don't think that I would make Cat 1 requiremnets as I have only had one offshore run, Fiji to Aus via Vanuatu, Noumea then Port Douglas, so would have to take on a skipper.
There seem to be plenty of Roberts 44 around, any comments....good, bad??? I daren't take on the steel, GRP discussion, think we'll just get the most homely that can act as a submarine if required.
Shane
Old 28-12-2005, 02:08   #8
cruiser

Hi enzwell,
I've tried to find cat 1 rules online but no luck. Do have the book in front of me thought so here goes.
Sr Appendix 3: Minimum Requirement for a Navigator
Must have knowledge to
1. Check the compass using suitable azimuth at sea
2. Obtain a position line from the sun on or off meridian
3.Use 2 position lines to obtain a fix, knowledge of tables etc.
4.Determine estimated position and deduce compass course.
5.Have working knowledge of
(a) Charts
(b) Current BA Almanac
(c) Nav tables
(e) Sailing directions & cruising guides
(f) Tide tables
(g) Operating instructions for all nav aids carried
6. Knowledge of elementary meteorology

"it is RECOMMENDED that the navigator makes a trial voyage with an experienced navigator"

Goes on to list alternatives to gain experience, my typing skills won't allow me to tell all. Basically it doesn't say anything about mandatory passages.
I don't have personal experience of obtaining cat 1 (will have in early 07 though )
Let's hear from a voice of experience.

Pete
Old 28-12-2005, 02:16   #9
cruiser

Damn, got mixed up about which forum I was on.
http://crew.net.nz/newForum/
This would be a better place to find out some information. Pretty quiet at the moment, it seems like the lucky buggers are all out sailing but I'm sure you will get a response quickly. They have been really helpful for NZ specific stuff.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:16   #10

Thanks a lot for your input. I have been waiting to see if any others had some info but it would appear not. Still undecided which way to go I suppose finding the right boat will determin it.
Are you really in the Antartic? Must be amazing if you are!
Old 08-01-2006, 22:53   #11
cruiser

Yeah, I'm down here alright, but unfortunately working, not sailing. The fun part happens, starting March
Old 16-01-2006, 14:21   #12

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
I am not sure why our resident Kiwis seem to think that the boat market is better in NZ than in Australia....one-eyed patriotism probably

Although it is well worth keeping an eye on both Aussie and NZ markets (I found www.yachthub.com good for this), I think that the market is much bigger in Australia, so more boats are available and also, presumably because there is more competition, boats seemed slightly cheaper in Australia. Certainly, the process of buying a boat, including inspection, hauling, surveying & sea-trialing, not to mention getting your purchase to your home port, will be much easier and a lot cheaper if you buy closer to home, and a trans-Tasman delivery is not necessarily a stroll in the park.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2006, 21:18   #13

Wayalan,Yep ya deffinately right about the Ozzie market.I have searched high an low on both our good countries,Hello to all our Kiwi neigbours,And things are really cheap over this way.One thing I have learnt from surfing the web for a suitable boat is how long some of the potentials have actually been on the market.Im hoping that this will be to my advantage when I finally desied to buy.Enough said OT.Enzwell,I hope it does(pardon the pun)Im pretty sure things are a lot easier here in Oz but NZ has some strickted rules and for very good reasoning.No matter where ya leave from I think it would be a clever man that does all he can to make his journey a safe & secure one,so cat 1 regulations dont seem to be your problem given that 100/150 thousand would get you a mighty fine boat.100 thou would do that,and If ya had to,It wouldnt take to much money to get cat1.Well thats my 2 cents.Mudnut
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2006, 00:46   #14

nz cat 1

With regard to Cat 1 in NZ I have first hand experience. We have done Cat 1 last cruising season. It was not a problem. Their are 2 camps - have lots of experience and you may find some 'holes' in the NZ cat 1 specs, however if it is your first time offshore they may be a bit tougher on you. The things they were hot on last year were:

Keel bolts, engine mounts, Lifelines, Jack lines and harness systems.

Everyone has differing ideas on how ready a boat is for offshore work but as long as everything works and is tidy you won't have a problem. One thing i've learn't is that you must have all documentation for the inspector. I'm not sure Wheels is correct saying all offshore boats must meet Cat 1 - pretty sure this is not in force yet. With regards to Aussie yacths vs NZ yachts I'd have to say that Australia has a far better market range and based on the number of kiwis buying Assie yachts and bringing them back here they are well priced. OUt of interest here in Wellington their are a number of yachts that have just arrived from France. Kiwis have bought them over there and sailed them back - apparently got bargains. Our current yacht will do us for one more season and then we will sell it and buy a yacht in Europe and sail it back to NZ.
southernman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2006, 11:00   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Can't remember the actual date, but it is either JUST gone into force, or is very nearly about to. I am leaning toward the, Is already inforce side. I am fairly sure it was Oct/Nov/Dec or so. Somewhere around then.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia