Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2007, 18:23   #1

In Flinders' Wake

I need to get rid of the message about my laxity in posting so...

Has anyone done an anti-clockwise circumnavigation of Australia? I am keen to take up the liveaboard lifestyle in a couple of years and was thinking of taking off from Sydney and heading to the Whitsundays/FNQ coast for several months. Rather than return to Sydney before the onset of the cyclone season, I was wondering about going around the top and down the west coast before turning left and heading back to the east coast so would be very interested in others' journeys.

I plan to spend the time before taking off honing my skills as I still have a lot to learn as most of my sailing has been based either on Sydney Harbour or Pittwater.

Thanks
Mark
markje4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2007, 20:55   #2

Hi Mark
Small world this cyber space .......l am thinking of doing the same. If you are interested ina historical perspective on the "anti clock wise route" There is a fantastic book called "The Mermaid Tree". It has the history of the all the main players in the exploration of the top end and Wa coast. Most of their trips, even when they were looking at only a small part of the coast involved a circumnavigation. From my perspective the two biggest problems are 1. timming the trip so that you dont bump into the WA cyclone season (its at the same time as QLD) which like the early exploreres means either a lengthy stay in WA (near a cyclone hole) or a bolt across the top and down to about Perth. 2. The run across the bottom has so few anchorages and from my studies Autumn seems to be the best time. This again means you have to either speed right up or slow down. As a trip in its own right l am sure it would be amazing. Vast areas of pristine coast line. With permission some unique culture (top end islands). No visas...No anchor fees...No language barriers....(unlike going to NZ...:-) ). The "thing" with this trip is isolation is a fact. Total self relience is a must. The tidal range is enourmous, so ground tackle of the "impressive" kind would be needed if you plan to anchor in the more remote spots. l would be pleased to swop notes over the comming months.
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2007, 23:30   #3

I am having problems ,copy/paste ,to a link that might give you some info about what to see/do up north.It's one of my "Must do " things but will be going NE after this.Lets see if this works, 2007 Kimberley Cruising Site Looks good sofar.Like Cooper says,timing is everything and some place's are pretty well open to the elements.Have a look at the Louisades,east of PNG,at the right time of the year it is like the equivelent of the Bahamas but OZZIE style.Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote