Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 14:17   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag
san quintin has had a bad reputation as being only 5-6 ft deep in certain places and requiring a guide for crossing the shoal... be safe there--hope it was dredged.
inside cedros is a bit protected from winds and seas, to a point. depends on wind direction. there is a southerly drift that is noticeable for drifting--we drifted for 36 hours there when my starter died 5 mi north of cedros island. (was replaced in cedros island village for less than 150 dollars, including mechanic for 4 days.)
I agree with Zee. After seeing how it shallows fast in places with breakers showing up suddenly at lower tide in & at the shoal going into the lagoon. I wouldn't go in without a local guide. A power boat was in there but he had no keel to watch. It can be beautiful- young whales were playing in lagoon.

Cedros is protected pretty well. We were on northeast and southwest anchorages (different trips and weather). It was nice & few waves/swells so we could transfer fuel from jerrycans to the boat without feeling like I was one of those planes doing it in flight!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 19:04   #47

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Re: Gunkholing the Pacific Coast of Mexico

It's weird we had a solid channel of 50 ft depths going right into the mouth of the lagoon. The tide must shift a lot of soil around.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 19:56   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67
It's weird we had a solid channel of 50 ft depths going right into the mouth of the lagoon. The tide must shift a lot of soil around.
That is wild! It probably has been dredged-even so, that is deep! Glad you got in without issue. Hopefully, you had less fetch in there too.
Old 05-01-2012, 20:35   #49

Yes I think the wind was out of the North. Imagine the wind being out of the North on the Baja Peninsula!

I am not sure they dredge all the way out there though. It doesn't seem like they have a ton of commercial traffic going in and out of there. Or any traffic at all for that matter.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:24   #50

Quote:
Yes I think the wind was out of the North. Imagine the wind being out of the North on the Baja Peninsula!

I am not sure they dredge all the way out there though. It doesn't seem like they have a ton of commercial traffic going in and out of there. Or any traffic at all for that matter.
Wind out of the north? We got caught in a few storms with winds right on our bow as we went south (unexpected) and on the nose coming back up (expected) to the point I became the weather guru by predicting the winds by whichever way we were headed.

I didn't see any commercial traffic going into the lagoon although that could change. I'm sure you're right that it wasn't dredging. Usually water moves silt where you DON'T want it- luckily this time it cleaned out the entrance!
Old 06-01-2012, 14:12   #51

You can predict the weather? Simply amazing!
Old 06-01-2012, 14:26   #52

Boat: Hylas 47
We anchored in Bahia San Quintin along with half the HaHa fleet in 2009. With Northest winds, it was a good anchorage, but we didn't go into the lagoon. I do have pics of a certain little boat that left the anchorage the wrong way and went through a couple of breaking waves.
john540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 21:18   #53

Quote:
You can predict the weather? Simply amazing!
Yep- it came from whichever way the bow was heading. Not a fun summer for sailing. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by john540
We anchored in Bahia San Quintin along with half the HaHa fleet in 2009. With Northest winds, it was a good anchorage, but we didn't go into the lagoon. I do have pics of a certain little boat that left the anchorage the wrong way and went through a couple of breaking waves.
Would love to see those photos!
Old 09-02-2012, 11:02   #54

I have just arrived in Mexico and have an immigration problem right off the bat.I entered at Cedros island.The Port captains office was staffed by a lady and she seemed a bit bothered that I came there.She had me fill out a form and then gave me one to take away.She said "thats it".No charge and no immigration.She told me to see immigration at my next port.This I did,and they promptly told me I owe them 600 pesos for entering Mexico without seeing them.And they said it will be a two week "process" to get my tourist visa.I feel that this is all wrong and I am being set up for further fleecing.I dont know what I will do at the moment.I dont have regular internet access so dont hold your breath waiting to hear.
nonam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:42   #55

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Where are you now? And how much is a peso worth? I do hope you resolved any mis-understanding before you left their office. Remember also that you need to check with the Customs office and the Port Captain when arriveing and also at departure.

Please remember that it's their country and they are the officials.

Welcome to Mexico
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:43   #56

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
I don't know the current rate, but there is a fee for tourist visas longer than 72 hours or beyond the border zone. When you fly into Mexico, this is included in the fees for your ticket. Look at the paper you got initially, is it an official FNM form?
Old 09-02-2012, 12:55   #57

Boat: too many

600 pesos = $47.33 USD
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:57   #58

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Because of the way that the US treates all visitors from Mexico it is a wonder that people from the US are allowed to enter Mexico on a boat without permission.

I urge everyone to either visit the Mexican consulat in SD or check Downwind Marine to inquire about the current regs. required to enter Mexico.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 16:37   #59
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

DO NOT CHECK INTO MEXICO IN CEDROS VILLAGE!!!!! they donot get tourists and have difficulty with us... DO check in in ensenada....is easy and quick..... sorry to hear of your troubles-- my tourist visa was lost in cedros.. i iwas illegal without knowedge, and was a task to rectify.....
peso is around 12-13 to one dollar.
fee for tourists is about 25 dollars.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 11:29   #60

Despite what John A says about it being their country I have had TWO instances now of being improperly directed by a Port Captain.I think,when you first arrive,Customs and Agriculture are top dogs.
I resolved my problem by going to a different port of entry and claiming I had just arrived direct from the US.It cost about $50.
Anyone coming down should research what foods they seize.I was surprised to learn they dont allow rice and beans.Lost a few bucks there.
Probably best if I dont say exactly where I had my problem.
nonam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico