Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2010, 18:48   #16

Boat: Cape George 40
I have been busy getting the boat ready for the crossing. Hope to get a couple of weeks cruising up in the Sea of Cortez and then we are planning on leaving for Hawaii the 2nd week of April if things look good with the weather.
poseidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 18:57   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
The weather is finally settling down a bit. There actually is a Pacific High for the first time in months. Hopefully the trades will start blowing again. Check PassageWeather - Sailing Weather - Marine Weather Forecasts for Sailors and Adventurers for understadable depictions of the wind and waves. Over the past few months we've had really fluky winds with a lot of light winds, mostly ENE but have even had westerly winds which are almost immoral here.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 19:16   #18

Thanks, I have been watching passage weather everyday. It's actually looking pretty good now.
Old 07-03-2010, 19:59   #19

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
I have decided to keep the boat in Mexico for another season of cruising,so will wait till next year for the return voyage.One winter here is not enough.Right now in Mazatlan the winds are 30knots and the rain is pelting down,for the second night in a row.Not your typical weather for this time of year.Prepare for unpredictable conditions.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 20:14   #20

Heading down to Cabo tomorrow, do some quick last minute provisioning and then off to Hawaii.
Old 19-04-2010, 13:58   #21

We're in La Paz getting ready to leave for Hawaii in a week or two. There are a number of other boats heading to Hawaii so we're going to get together at Super Burro on Thursday the 22nd (not sure of the time yet). If you'd like to join us just hail Sugata on VHF 22. We're calling ourselves the Piddle Jumpers (given it's a shorter crossing than the Marquesas).
thuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 19:30   #22

Left Cabo April 15, arrived Hilo the morning of May 7th. 21 and 1/2 days. Hoveto thursday night for morning arrival. Trip was wonderful. Left Cabo closehauled with westwind which took us within 45 miles of Isla Clarion. After that the wind came around alittle more northerly but was fluky into about 123w- dieing at night. Finally the wind came around to the ne. Had a couple of small gales. 35knts ne. Squalls were not to bad. Helped us make good time actually. Made a pretty staight shot after Isla Clarion. Hilo folks were friendly. $10 anite to Tahiti tie to pier or anchor for 40fter plus $ 23 application fee they hit me with when leaving-good for a year in Hilo. Don't expect to leave Hilo on the weekend if you want you bathroom key deposit back. ($50) We burned about 70 gallons of fuel, mostly in the begining. Used about about 60gallons of fresh water. (4 people). Salt water pump in galley was great.
Now in Ko Olina harbor in west Oahu. $800 + for 45' month. Nice place, friendly Harbor master.-ph#808 6791050.
ps spent a couple of nice days at Molokai.

Sorry I missed lunch at the Superburro, was one of my favorites in La Paz.
--Patrick
Old 25-05-2010, 17:28   #23

We just made landfall yesterday on May 24th in Hilo. Left Frailes (near Cabo) and the 2800nm took us 22 days and change. We had wind the whole trip as we made sure to round Cabo when it was blowing on the outside of the Baja so as a result we only put about 6 hours on the motor. We had 8-10 foot seas with 2 swell directions the whole way making for a bumpy ride. We took several good waves over the deck and cockpit (always at night, go figure). 2/3rds of the trip we had 20-30 knots of wind as a result of the pacific high meeting the trades and accelerating them and 100% cloud cover. Autopilot couldn't handle the conditions so the wind vane was a real life saver. Last time I sailed from California to Hawaii was much more pleasant, I'm guessing because you sail along the edge of the high instead of where the high meets the trades, although it could be we just got unlucky with the weather.

On the positive side we never saw anything over 35 knots and when we saw that it was during short lived 10 minute squalls.

This definitely was NOT a milk run. It was too rough to do any real cooking, fishing, or relaxing. Hell, we arrived with just about as much beer as we left with which is never a good sign.

It's good to be in Hawaii and we're enjoying eating ourselves silly to regain the weight we lost.

-Todd
thuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2010, 21:23   #24

Glad you made! If you make it over to Oahu, look us up. We be in Ko Olina until the 1oth of June. We rented a car. West marine is the only game in town here for marine stuff.
Cheers, Patrick
S/V Rachel S
Old 25-05-2010, 23:08   #25

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Good job guys!...thanks for sharing.

Some day there go I God willing.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2010, 05:58   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Congratulations on successful voyage, and thanks for the informative report, Todd.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, Mexico