Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2006, 14:59   #1

Post Australian woman killed by shark

MELBOURNE, Australia (SWNW) -- A 21-year-old woman died Saturday after being attacked by a shark off eastern Australia, a rescue helicopter spokeswoman said.

The woman, whose identity was not immediately released, suffered severe injuries when she was mauled by a shark while swimming near North Stradbroke Island, east of the Queensland state capital Brisbane.

After the attack, the woman was airlifted to a local hospital where she had to have both arms amputated just below the elbow, Queensland Rescue Helicopter spokeswoman Helen Anderson said.

"I believe she also had flesh wounds to her leg and torso," she said.

The woman died of her injuries while in hospital, a Queensland state police spokeswoman said on the condition of anonymity following her office's protocol.

The woman had been swimming in shallow water with friends from a local church group when she was grabbed by the shark, Sky News reported. It was not immediately clear what type of shark attacked the woman.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 03:07   #2

Boat: Island Packet 35
Why, K?
Bugged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 07:46   #3

Bugged.

(Do not take this the wrong way).

Why what? Be more precise, in asking questions?

Why? Cause the woman was in the wrong place. At the wrong time.

Shark attacks happen all over this planet. So Australia is not alone in shark attacks!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 14:01   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Basic precautions...

We are getting a few comments and recomendations now that there has been an attack.
Some of the locals have been repoted as saying that there had been many shark reports and that they would not swim in the area.
I also heard that steel drums had been anchored and baits set to catch sharks. If this is true then this may have attracted sharks to the area.
Another report said that the victim had been swimming with her dog and was spearfishing.
I don't know how true these reports were.
So I guess before swimming that some basic precautions would be in order:-
1. Check with locals about any known dangers, not just sharks.
2. Don't swim in muddy or murky water.
3. I don't know if the stories about dogs attracting sharks are true but swimming with a dog may be contraindicated.(splashing and noise are reputed to attract sharks)
4. Blood both attracts and excites sharks, so swimming with blood in the water is not a good idea. It used to be standard practice for spearfishermen to use a float to keep any fish thay speared (and their blood) out of the water.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 16:38   #5

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Some history

Did you hear about the shark that came to a screaming halt ?
Jack Holt was an earlier prime minister of Australia, he went missing while swimming and it is suspected a shark may have got him.
" The names goff and I'm off " Geof ( pronounced a bit like goff ) Whitlam was another OZZ prime minister who was forced out of office. Those were his parting words.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 15:28   #6

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
Maybe

just not swimming with church groups is a good idea.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 04:54   #7

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)
Sorry if this is continuing a bit off subject, but a couple of minor amendments to the names of the Prime Ministers.

It was Harold Holt who disappeared and Gough Whitlam who was dismissed by the Governor General. I hadn't heard of the quote you mentioned, but Gough's most remembered statement on being dismissed was: "Well may they say God save the Queen but nothing will save the Governor-General".

From Australian Govt archives - Disappearance of Harold Holt -Fact Sheet 144.
Harold Holt disappeared while swimming at Cheviot Beach near Portsea, Victoria on 17 December, 1967. His body was never recovered. Without determining the cause of Holt's death, a joint report by Commonwealth and Victoria Police, submitted in January 1968, concluded that, '… there has been no indication that the disappearance of the late Mr Holt was anything other than accidental'. The report (see copy on file A1209, 1968/8063) found that his last movements followed a routine domestic pattern, his demeanour had been normal and despite his knowledge of the beach, the turbulent conditions (high winds, rough seas and rip tides) overcame him. The explanations put forward for a failure to find the body included an attack by marine life, the body being carried out to sea by tides or becoming wedged in rock crevices.

While a variety of theories have been expounded about Holt's disappearance, the Commonwealth Government did not deem a formal inquiry necessary, accepting the conclusions of the Police report.
Old 10-01-2006, 13:12   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
A correct potitician...

And Whitlam was right.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 17:54   #9

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Names

Wanderlust, thanks for providing the correct names. Gough would sound a lot more like goff than Geof.
1967 was a long time ago, and it is OZZY politics. I am pleased I got the basic stories correct. The group can not accuse me of making up this stuff.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia