Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2016, 06:22   #76

Re: Are there any deserted islands like in the movies?

Years ago, when I first got into sailing, and after reading that Bugliosi book, Palmyra became one of the places on my to visit wish list. But I understand that recently it's been turned over to US Dept of Interior and made into a marine preserve and now requires all the related red tape and permits to visit. And they are aiming to discourage too many visitors as the place has now some scientists working there semi-permanently.

I recall reading about a bunch of similar uninhabited/deserted islands in the Pacific but I believe all of them have one or more reasons for being that way.

If you think about it, I believe visiting and staying is doable but highly overrated considering the downsides. Sort of like a relationship with a Playboy-type bimbo - looks enticing and desirable in the beginning until you see everything without the make up and photoshop and then hear her talk.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:39   #77

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32

Hilarious... Actually looking at the population projections I think we will have more nice unpopulated places to visit in the future. Not sure I'll live long enough to see it though. Plus with renewable energy and modern farming methods. We may just have a land of plenty, may be for my kids kids...

Always look on the bright side of life du du du (smily face singing).....
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:55   #78
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
deserted islands left . . . No clearance, not red tape, no time limit, just your own island to pick coconuts and fish and find tropical fruit.
Regarding Red tape . . . the 1990's were the prime years (most recently) for low red tape. Barriers and costs for visiting countries were going down all around the world. Europe was dropping its border barriers, Polynesia made longer stays much easier, Indonesia reduced its entry requirements, etc etc. Cruising permit requirements were relaxed. Also piracy was in retreat.

Unfortunately, since 2001, that red tape trend was very strongly reversed. Almost everywhere it has gotten more difficult and more expensive. The 'advance arrival notifications' requirements has been adapted by a bunch of countries (australia's implementation is one of the most difficult). The US instituted difficult visa requirements (for those arriving on their own boats), and complicated the process for their own flagged boats to visit canada and mexico. And piracy (and thuggery) also spiked up.

Today, if you really want no red tape, it's best to stay in your home country waters.

As to deserted islands, there are some really wonderful ones around newfoundland - with terrific protected anchorages and fresh water, many used to have thriving fishing communities, but the canadian government considered them too expensive to support with social services (and difficult to reach or support in any way in the winter) and abandoned them. But as 3 season cruising stops they are wonderful. No tropical fruit but there is fishing. And global warming might make these more attractive in the future - snap them up now

There are also 1000's of never ever inhabited islands in Patagonia - also with terrific anchorages and fresh water. You can stay for months and never seen anyone. There is significant red tape involved in getting cruising there.

Our favorite deserted tropical island was in the Ha'apai Island group, Tonga. Most of the sailors stay up in the northern Vava'u group. So while you will see a few boats around, you are likely to have the anchorage and island all to yourself. Here's me alone on the beach with no other footprints.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tropicsbeachs.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	118505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
No country claims to 'own' Antarctica. There are 38 nations who are part of the Antarctic Treaty and agree to safeguard the continent for science and nature.

Permits are not hard to get and are simply necessary to ensure the well-being of the continent and safety of people travelling.

A Berserk expedition gone wrong
RC, really you don't know what you are talking about here.

#1 Seven nations -- Argentina, Australia, Chile, France, New Zealand, Norway, and the United Kingdom -- claimed territorial sovereignty over areas of Antarctica. The United States and Soviet Union (I presume Russia has adapted the same position) reserved the right to assert claims. Yes, all these countries have agreed in the treaty to 'work together', and not to pursue their claims for now . . . but they have not ever entirely extinguished their claims. And they have most been careful to maintain bases and other means to assert their claims if they ever want to.

#2 How difficult it is to get the necessary permits depends on your flag state. It is much easier if you are UK flagged, and extremely difficult if you are US flagged. Some countries believed that limited antarctic tourism was beneficial for raising awareness, while the US believed it should be only for scientific purposes and practically speaking did not believe issue ANY permits for cruising trips - only for 'vetted scientific expeditions'.

And the government permitting is only one component of the required red tape for antarctic cruising. The whole thing is in fact difficult (for a one-off private cruising voyage), and the majority of private/non-commercial boats that cruise there don't bother completing the whole rigmarole, and there is no real enforcement mechanism unless someone becomes a really bad actor (as berserk was).

I personally doubt these permits practically speaking do much to "to ensure the well-being of the continent and safety of people travelling." except as a potential barrier to entry.

I might comment . . . if you are looking to be alone in an anchor then the antarctic peninsula is not the place to go. There are not so many secure anchorages, and there is a decently large charter boats and cruise ship business going there, so you are almost always sharing an anchorage with 2 or more other boats. S Georgia is a better bet (which has its entire own set of red tape and fees).
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:56   #79

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
Maybe a silly and childish questions, but I was wondering if there are any deserted islands left?

Just because it is fun to dream about sometimes being cast away so to speak and anchored in some lagoon and it's just you. No clearance, not red tape, no time limit, just your own island to pick coconuts and fish and find tropical fruit.

No, it's not my highest priority of a destination, I just want to know if there is anything out there or is everything private.
Very many. Especially in the Pacific.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:00   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven UK View Post
Hilarious... Actually looking at the population projections I think we will have more nice unpopulated places to visit in the future. Not sure I'll live long enough to see it though. Plus with renewable energy and modern farming methods. We may just have a land of plenty, may be for my kids kids...

Always look on the bright side of life du du du (smily face singing).....
I think demographically even with the general world population explosion in the past 100+ years, the tilt toward urbanization and conglomeration of the population is very pronounced. Here in US practically every state has hundreds of hamlets which by the late 20th century either became totally deserted or are now a fraction of their former self while the larger cities and urban areas have coalesced into mega-metropolises hundreds or even thousands of square miles in size.

Same with various small islands. Each one I looked at has either been deserted or significantly reduced in population which usually moves to the nearest larger island or to the mainland. I guess fewer and fewer people are willing to tough it out as Robinson Crusoes, especially considering all the enticements of the modern life. But for those of us who are overloaded with these same enticements of the modern life - the opposite, yearning for solitude, at least in theory, is probably true. Until we experience the long term loneliness of such places firsthand. It's one thing to hang out around such a place on a boat for a week or two with your water tanks and pantry full and it's quite another when you're there 24/7/365 and the nearest chandlery and hospital is 1,000mi away.

I guess for me an uninhabited island is just like NYC - a great place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there permanently.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
movie