Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2017, 04:02   #16

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Wind Systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
Yep.. from what I see and hear about TackTick, it is not reliable enough to be considered quality kit. OPINION only

I'm not sure I'd go that far. I've logged thousands of miles with our tacktick (now raymarine) and it's still running. My only current issue has been the very occasional signal loss from masthead transducer to display receiver in the cockpit. Like I mentioned earlier, at about 50', we're on the edge of the range.

I think the cost vs reliability might be more accurately criticized. These tacktick things remain crazy expensive. Although, wired wind instruments also seem to suffer from a fair number of problems. I think it's mostly to do with the bearings.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:04   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
Yep.. from what I see and hear about TackTick, it is not reliable enough to be considered quality kit. OPINION only

I'm not sure I'd go that far. I've logged thousands of miles with our tacktick (now raymarine) and it's still running. My only current issue has been the very occasional signal loss from masthead transducer to display receiver in the cockpit. Like I mentioned earlier, at about 50', we're on the edge of the range.

I think the cost vs reliability might be more accurately criticized. These tacktick things remain crazy expensive. Although, wired wind instruments also seem to suffer from a fair number of problems. I think it's mostly to do with the bearings.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:19   #18

Boat: Hunter 340

I had an apparent bearing issue a few years ago. Raymarine repaired it promptly at no charge.
Every once in a while, I would have a signal loss as well. I finally figured it out to be RF interference from power generating stations. Passing through Nassau I see this happening every single time. Once I'm clear of the harbour, the signal is fully restored.
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 04:29   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgallinger View Post
I had an apparent bearing issue a few years ago. Raymarine repaired it promptly at no charge.
Every once in a while, I would have a signal loss as well. I finally figured it out to be RF interference from power generating stations. Passing through Nassau I see this happening every single time. Once I'm clear of the harbour, the signal is fully restored.
I was going to add, I had to have my wind instrument repaired a few years ago when the original tacktick stopped twirling and sending directional data. I inherited my system (which includes a depth and speed sender as well) with my current boat, and I figure it was at least 12 years old by then. Raymarine service took it back and said they repaired it. I think they just sent me a refurbished or new one, for about 1/4 the price of new new. This was about four years ago now.

Other than the very occasional signal loss (twice in the last three months), I’ve got no complaints. But like I say, they are pretty pricey. If I had to buy one new, I might look at alternatives.

Tags
wind