Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2015, 09:02   #16

Boat: Scout 30
Re: What do you think of this boat for a novice?

I agree that you can get in a fun boat for $10,000 or less. However, get the best quality & condition boat you can afford. I'd much rather spend 10 grand on a boat in decent condition than 5 on a boat that needs a lot of work. If the boat's in good shape you really shouldn't have to throw a whole lot more money at it to cruise this area. The Compac is probably the best quality boat on your list. I'd also add the Nimble 24, Skimmer 25 & Sea Pearl 28. All cool good quality boats. I'm not really a fan of the generic Catalinas, Hunters, Odays, Macgregors, etc but they are plentiful & reasonably priced.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 09:52   #17
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Ex: 2006 Catalina 350 Now: 04 Mainship 400
Send a message via Skype™ to YachtBroker

At one time of another I have sold a few of those boats even the beach comber 25 which had a wishbone freestanding ketch rig. The biggest issue and biggest detriment to future resale on a boat this age is moisture content in the deck that may be present when you buy it but sounding it does not bring it out but when you go to sell it, it's rotted the core. I would suggest you buy a marine moisture meter (google it) and it will be a well spent $150-300 and run it over the deck and also sound the deck with a soft mallet and listen for the telltale dull thud of deck delam. Check those areas more closely with the meter but the dull thud with no moisture doesn't necessary spell doom.
Another boat that would be a nice pocket cruiser with inboard diesel woudl be a bayfield 25 if you could find one in that price range or an Pacific seacraft flicka 20 in either the diesel or outboard version. Both the BF and Flicka have standing headroom (unless your 6-5). There are some older dufour 27-28s from late 70s and early 80s that are nearly indestructible.
YachtBroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 10:08   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowminded View Post
The plan is get a 25+ more or less cruiser to weekend on and day sail around the West coast of Florida. Gunk hole with my wife and son and enjoy sailing.
How old is the son? You need room for sleeping for him if you do intend to do weekends away in the boat. From living in a small camper ashore, I can tell you that putting the table up and down is a royal pain so a quarter berth makes for a much easier sleeping arrangement.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 10:25   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
Standing headroom makes weekends much more comfortable.
Yep!!

Quote:
In your price range, I'd worry less about brand and put your focus on condition. A $7k boat that needs no significant work is a better deal than a $5k boat that needs TLC and a set of sails.
Yep!!
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 10:29   #20

Boat: Ericson 27

I very much appreciate all of the feedback.

I'm passing on the boat in the original question. I found some issues with it in ongoing discussions with the seller that threw up a couple of red flags so I'll keep looking.

Scout pretty close, I'm on the East shore of Saint Joseph's Sound directly behind Hurricane Pass in Crystal Beach. The water is pretty skinny around here in the sound, not quite as bad as North of Tarpon.

My perception of the tides is probably related more to the underwater topography over here. That little Comp Pac 23 in the picture is in close to neck deep water on a good high tide though. That's sea grass in the foreground of the long shot.Granted this is an extreme period of the lunar cycle in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CP 23 C.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	105530   Click image for larger version

Name:	CP 23.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	105531  

Shallowminded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 10:46   #21

Boat: Morgan, Out Island 36, Ketch

Shallowmind, Good for you about living aboard, though I think you will find a 20-30 ft. boat a bit small for three people. I would suggest a 30+ with three cabins, like a Morgan 36 OI, this will give you and your son some privacy. Also you have crimped you style with your budget. If you start too small and spent your money, you will not be happy. Hope you will enjoy your cruising...
Olde Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 10:57   #22

Boat: Ericson 27

The boy is 10 and pretty salty. A quarter birth would be a definite advantage, I have that on my wish list.

Com Pac 23's are very popular around here, probably due to the shallow draft. There's 3 or 4 in the marina down the road alone plus the one behind the neighborhood. Very nice lines and look bigger in the water than they are but I know that cabin is small.

I'm a fan of more traditional lines also, that counts for something.

Just for reference I've self restored quite a few power boats from the state of abandoned yard ornament, so self maintenance etc. are within my abilities. Not that I want a full blown restoration project and the associated cost.
Shallowminded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 11:03   #23

Boat: Seaward 22

If you like the compac 23, also look at the Seaward 22 & 23. My 22 does not have coring in the deck. These boats are in your price range.

Scotts Seaward Sailboat Web Site
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 14:37   #24

Your budget is probably more than you even need as there are hundreds of boats in Florida you can buy for that and much less. And no, I'm not talking about "dogs*%t" boats as someone else said. Your size target is right too. I would definitely stay under 30 feet. And you are quite right to insist on shoal draft, considering where you are. Stick to your guns on this. No matter how sweet she look! I would look at a boat over there that drew more than 3 ft. half that would be better!
I would also suggest considering the advantages of a pop top boat. With a swing keel. And an outboard. You'll be able to go FAR more places.

here's a link to the Catalina 25. Probably the best pop top swing keel boat around. I bet there are 50 of them within 100 miles of you.

Catalina 25 Review | Which Sailboat?

And here's one for sale. Though the add doesn't say which keel it has.

25 foot Catalina sailboat

Good luck. Your plan is sound and you have enough money.
dgz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 14:42   #25

Correction! I would NOT look at a boat that drew over three feet! Not there, and not for what you want to do.
No doubt this will draw plenty of comments from people who "wouldn't own a swing keel boat if you gave it" to them. And from people with boats that draw 7 feet and they do just fine. More power to them. You will never see them out of the channel, because they can't go there. And you want to do more than just motor out the channel to open water, sail around, and then motor back in.
A swing keel boat is the best of both worlds.
dgz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 15:05   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Chief View Post
Shallowmind, Good for you about living aboard, though I think you will find a 20-30 ft. boat a bit small for three people. I would suggest a 30+ with three cabins, like a Morgan 36 OI, this will give you and your son some privacy. Also you have crimped you style with your budget. If you start too small and spent your money, you will not be happy. Hope you will enjoy your cruising...
He wasn't talking about living aboard this one.
"The plan is get a 25+ more or less cruiser to weekend on and day sail around the West coast of Florida. Gunk hole with my wife and son and enjoy sailing. Something adequate on the near shore gulf here with enough room but doesn't need to be extravagant. We want to limit the investment now and we'll look at upgrading down the road."

How about fast and more room? Mega 30! 1.7 ft draft!
MEGA 30 OD (C&C) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

5K in Texas: http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/45149

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 05:28   #27

If the boat will be on a mooring & hard aground at low tide that will really limit your options. You don't want a boat that lays on it's side when aground. Something to be aware of with swing keels. Ballasted boards like Catalinas have can be a disaster if the line breaks. I think the Catalina's board is solid iron. I was hauled up at Hernando Beach when they brought in a salvaged Catalina that had sunk when the line broke with the board up. It came down with such force that it broke the trunk & sank the boat. The line to the swing keel can be tough to inspect & maintain.
Old 18-07-2015, 05:30   #28

There was a small Wharram on Craigslist recently that would have been great for you. If the boats going to be aground at low tide I'd consider a small cat.
Old 18-07-2015, 07:38   #29

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

You might consider the C&C25. A big solid boat for a 25'er that sails very well and fast too. They are common and cheap up here on Lake Ontario where they were built 40 years ago...might be somewhat less common in Florida. FYI, they go between $1k and $5k around here, depending on condition and gear, but most are in very good shape, since they were built well in the first place.

Mine is long since sold, but I still have the video tour online: https://youtu.be/bDssMt3Eb9Q

Here are a few local ads chosen at random:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/wind...ationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/otta...ton/1071626771

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/oakv...-25/1065841702

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/wind...ale/1081978214
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 08:22   #30

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

I might be a little skeptical about outboard power on a sailboat in an area with big tides as that implies strong currents. The other thing to consider is how much of a project, read that as time, cost and skill requirements, you are willing to undertake to make the boat safe and seaworthy.
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
novice