Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2019, 09:35   #61
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: What do you think about Uma's new interior layout?

Mads' Warrior is becoming like George Washington's hatchet, the one he famously chopped down the cherry tree with. "Oh yes, we've replaced the handle five times and the head four times, but it is still the original hatchet!" He's doing an incredible job, but if you valued his time at minimum wage, I'd still hate to think of how much he's put into that boat. I would only hope a "Warrior 38" is really an incredible boat when it is restored to new.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 09:39   #62

Boat: 1999 Celestial 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Mads' Warrior is becoming like George Washington's hatchet, the one he famously chopped down the cherry tree with. "Oh yes, we've replaced the handle five times and the head four times, but it is still the original hatchet!" He's doing an incredible job, but if you valued his time at minimum wage, I'd still hate to think of how much he's put into that boat. I would only hope a "Warrior 38" is really an incredible boat when it is restored to new.
It will be far, far better than it ever was brand new. I just hope he remembers to get out and sail once in awhile though, even on his other boat. I fear he will spend all this time and money, finish Athena, and then not go anywhere because of sea-sickness...
saltfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 09:53   #63
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stein View Post
It’s an outdated boat of mediocre build quality that had seen a hard life.
Ha! Outdated? Mediocre build quality? A Pearson 36-1, of which UMA is one, won a Marion/Bermuda race overall. Sure Pearson used fake teak formica to cover the bulkheads, but they also used marine bronze seacocks, stuffing boxes, high quality masts and stanchions.

My Skylark, a Pearson 36-1 can outrun any Bavaria of similar length and is faster than many other cruisers. After a 10 year refit, she is better than new and after paying the import VAT to The Netherlands and going through a post-construction survey, she is CE marked and has an RCD rating "A". There are brand new boats that don't have the RCD "A".

I would like to invite Mr. Stein to Enkhuizen someday this summer and show him what a mediocre boat a Pearson 36-1 is. Ha!
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 09:57   #64
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Built in 1973, this "outdated" Pearson 36 looks a lot better than a lot of the "bleach bottles" I see on the water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	skylark.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	414.4 KB
ID:	185898  
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 01:23   #65

Boat: 1967 Alberg 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltfree View Post
It will be far, far better than it ever was brand new. I just hope he remembers to get out and sail once in awhile though, even on his other boat. I fear he will spend all this time and money, finish Athena, and then not go anywhere because of sea-sickness...
I was thinking the same thing. He had to bow out of that passage voyage he signed up for, a couple of years ago. But he never had any trouble aboard Obelix as far as I can remember. I think he will be okay. My biggest worry is his new girlfriend... he seems to spend a lot of his free time with her... I can see him dropping the project altogether to satisfy her. He was talking about leaving his job and working on Athena full time... pending continued Patreon support. Not sure if he's still working his "day job" or not.

If he does give up on Athena, he could always sell it for $750k, and break even...

Man there are a lot of haters on here over fairly trivial matters regarding Uma. I happen to like their channel, even though I don't agree with all of their decisions, and they seem to be a lot less, ... humble now, since they are making pretty serious money from Patreon. But I still enjoy their content. I like Project Atticus much more. I discovered UMA from watching Atticus.

Jordan and Desiree seem to be much more down to earth and honest about the problems they face. They have developed some great skills by working odd jobs in a marina to support their endeavor. Their video content is slick, they are fun to watch, and they do quite a few live chats, and really connect to their audience.
WingRyder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior