Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2008, 10:25   #16

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishspearit View Post
a problem with the dripless shaft seal means a haul out.
On my previous boat ( a 35' full keel mono) I replaced the PSS shaft seal original old style bellows while the boat was in the water.
It was a little exciting, but nothing the bilge pump couldn't handle.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 10:36   #17

True, it CAN be done in the water. Seacocks and through hulls can also be replaced below the waterline, but it's not for the 'feint of heart', or the average boat owner.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:54   #18

Boat: Delphia 37
Thanks for the into all!

I was thinking when hauling for survey have the stuffing box serviced. Perhaps it would be best to have the whole mess serviced/replaced as mentioned if not done since 1996. See if I could get the seller to pay for that.

Nothing like having a yard bill the first day you own a boat! I'm pretty handy, having this be my first boat project sounds a little aggressive....
marty9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 12:14   #19
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene :^) View Post
I think more people don't have dripless because:

1. it is a retrofit for most
2. when it fails you have a flood (all or none deal)

A traditional stuffing gives more problems overall, but less severe than the flood. Also can be jury rigged anytime, easily (rope, cloth, whatever) to make it home.
Have a bit of "experiance" with a dripless stuffing box.......

Went accross to France on a mate's small semi displacement Motorboat for the weekend......the day we were coming back realised that the Auto Bilge pump was coming on and off too much...fortunately before we left the dock.......lifted the hatch and soon enuf saw that the rubber seal had split, not pouring in - but enuf to be glad of an electric bilge pump!

Unfortunately no Marine Engineer workshop or easy haulout facilities in the area - yer want quiet and peaceful Village yer also miss out on other stuff - something would have been doable to arrange, but not easy or quick. or cheap!

We decided to put the engine in gear, just to see what happened ....predictably the water p#ssed in a lot quicker.....much discussion was had about how much water and whether the bilge pump was winning or not!

Mate was a relative newbie and wanted to "give it a go" to get home 12 miles or so - but would have deferred to me on a firm no.......probably not the most prudent decision I have ever made (but I have a long history of those ) - but I came up with "f#ck it - I'll give it a go - not my boat, and anyway it is insured".....

So we set off home to Jersey - with me mainly staring at the shaft p#ssing in water and the bilge pump running continuously. Occassionally the Skipper would come and have a look and we would mutually reassure ourselves that "It looked ok"......boat usually cruised at about 12 knots - but we found that around 6 knots was the speed where the bilge pump could cope. We figured that lubrication was not an issue

Got home safely and gaffa taped the joint up with plastic bags - and fixed up an engineer.

Looking back, I shouldn't have made the trip - usual safety gear aboard except no liferaft.......but the inflatable dinghy was ready to go!!

But nice for me to know it can be done.......even if never recomended to anyone else.

Mate is selling now (the above was a few years ago), want's to buy an aeroplane............
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 14:23   #20

Is water in the bilge normal? That's debatable, but it sure isn't desireable. I think too many people get used to seeing water in the bilge and don't do anything about it or try to find out where it is coming from. You have to try to identify the source and stop the leak. Don't depend on your bilge pump to keep the boat afloat - stop the leak! The norm should be a dry bilge and water in it the exception. You get used to seeing water in the bilge and it's hard to notice if there is more than usual, and you get used to the bilge pump running.
Nothing good ever comes from water in the bilge. Boats sink from too much of it.
Brian
amarinesurveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 15:31   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
I try to count every drop...

I have a cup or so in the bilge at the moment and I think(?) I know where every drop came from (stern gland, strategically located icecream container moved - must fix).

Any water in the bilge indicates a potential problem.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 16:07   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Not on a Woodie it doesn't.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 13:24   #23

Boat: Cibert, Titán 25
Re: Water in Bilge- Normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
Not on a Woodie it doesn't.
I know this thread is old but we were looking for some advice as my wooden boat started to get some water suddenly. Let's say a week ago or so, before that the bilge was absolutely dry, only got some water after a rough sailing when water came from the bow (there are some places where water can get in), but never in normal conditions, except for some hard rains too but in that case water came from the deck which is not totally sealed (and that doesn't make me feel so nervous). But I'm really concerned now as water seems to come from the bottom.
I'd appreciatte any other advice.

Oh my question to CharlieCobra was: why do you say is not a problem on a woodie? Thanks
kumgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 07:37   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"

Typically woodies always have wet bilges, especially carvel planked boats. However, if your bilge has been dry and is suddenly wet, you have an issue. Take the time to track down the leak. It could be something as simple as a leaky seal on a thru-hull or something as bad as a started (loose) plank.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 08:40   #25

Boat: Cibert, Titán 25

Thanks CharlieCobra.
I'll do what you say, check all I can and see where can it be the possible leak.
Anyway if heaven helps this year I should take the boat off to paint the bottom, varnish the rest of the hull and repair some stuff, which I hope don't take more than a month and a half.
thanks, best wishes
kumgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 09:18   #26

I been asking my self the same question. I found some articles that i will share with you guys.

Here are the links:

ALL ABOUT BILGE PUMPS - Boats, Yachts Maintenance and Troubleshooting

Keeping the bilge dry

Seacock & Thru-Hull Primer/Pre Information Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com

https://www.tidesmarine.com/
VIPIRATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 03:13   #27

Boat: Aloha 8.2
Re: Water in Bilge - Normal ?

Any water that finds its way intothe boat ends up in the bilge eventually. Most bilge pump intakes can not be placed at the deepest part of the bilge, so some water is left after the pump runs. This is normal.
Old 16-08-2012, 03:54   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, sailorphil.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 05:32   #29

Boat: contessa 32

Not sure what "normal "is, but every boat I have ever known or sailed gets some water inside; of course,this ends in bilge.The real concern besides its origin ,is whether it is increasing or not. Automatic pumps are fine when off the boat but I have only manual pumps on board and count the strokes needed to clear and enter all in the log .If in salt water I will taste if necessary so I know if its from rain or the sea.
Call me a Luddite,but am aware of a number of craft that had leaks in their pressure water systems and then the el. pump drained the batteries pumping all overboard. Now owners did not have drinking water aboard,had no way of getting any sea intrusion out and had no way to start the engine! Don't think that you will hear that pump cycling off and on in all conditions either since machinery running or sailing in lively conditions will mask the sound of your pump running.
Water in bilge? Think about it; you are floating in it,it is washing across your decks, you have many holes (thru hulls,hatches etc.) above and below and your craft is in the rain at all angles of heel while being stressed and twisted from the rigging and seas.
Now that I'm thinking about it ,Yes, it is normal to see some water in the bilges, especially if a vessels being used at all.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 06:53   #30

Boat: Whitby 42 - Esmeralda II

I spent the last 6 years to find every possible intrusion of water in my boat, this is a difficult and long process, but once you have succeeded, and can explain some water with normal circumstances such as rain down the mast and stuffing box, it feels so much better! Most boats leak from the deck from cracks and through-deck bolts. These should be fixed with proper repair rather than caulking, because the rot will set in the core of the deck if not fixed properly. Opening cracks, filling with putty is the minimum, where they are too many cracks, the old fibreglass must be removed and new one laminated (and core replaced if rotten). And believe me this is a big job, but no other shortcut will make the bilge dry and the boat healthy.

Tags
bilge, water