Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2007, 22:40   #31

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
The one that put the camera down so they did not run them down after that last slew to port?
no doubting that. I reckon the ketch broached and the following camera man had to brace himself for the collision.
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2007, 10:42   #32
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
This is an interesting YouTube site as you can see different conditions, points of sail in HW and the way the boats handle it. (Look at the Shannon 38 for what Senormechanico was advising).

In trying to understand Anita im Orkan clip I would guess by the steady movement and slow heave of the ship that is taking the video (watch the horizon), that they may be trying to make a lee for the yacht which has some rigging damage.

I also think the apparent distance and danger between the 2 is misleading as the camera may be zoomed in quite a bit from a high vantage point on the ship’s bow and the ship’s captain is drifting stern to the seas, ready to go astern if needed.

Ironically, the large ship (maybe a Ferry), trying to make a lee while running slow or drifting in line upwind of the yacht may actually be creating short period “critical length” seas (0.9 to 1.3 boats length) for Anita, causing her to shear so much. My guess is they are just standing by in case of further problems

Understandably, the captain of the ship (especially if it is a Ferry) does not want to drift broadside to make a proper lee in those conditions as they would roll quite vigorously and he would not have as much control.

Would be nice to know more details about the circumstances and outcome, but it is fun to guess
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2007, 16:17   #33

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Let me just mention that this is a Yawl and not a Ketch. I am also assuming that he is not running jib an jigger because the mizzen has a broken spreader.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote