Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2006, 19:34   #1

Send a message via AIM to goodtimes Send a message via Skype™ to goodtimes
Trailerable boat

Hi all,

I'm moving to the Ft. Lauderdale area mid-september and I'd like to get a trailerable sailboat that would allow me to sail to the Bahama's and weekend in the Keys.

I know of a few trailerable boats, such as 22 Catalina, MacGregor's, South Coast...that's really about it. But I don't think I'd feel comfortable in any of those boats crossing the Gulf to the Bahama's. I know I could carefully watch my weather window's but I rather be safer than sorry.

I'm not opposed to multi-hulls either.

I'd like to keep the price under 40k at the very most. Weight is really not an issue (big truck). I need something comfortable, so the bigger the better.

I have good experience with sailing, I just don't know much about trailerable boats, so please throw out names of good boats.

Thanks
goodtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2006, 20:13   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Try out this site http://bbs.trailersailor.com/forums/index.html

It's everything you need to know about trailer sailors............_/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2006, 07:58   #3

trailerable

May I suggest that you look at a small Cape Dory? I currently sail a Cape Dory 25D. It displaces under 3 tons and drafts 3.5 feet. I have a nice gooseneck trailer and an F250 for hauling. While it is by no means a trailer/sailer it can be hauled and launched from a ramp. I plan to trailer 'Seraph' to the east coast from Texas and sail the bahamas after retirement. There is a 25D currently transiting the Pacific ocean! The 25D is also one of the boats featured in John Vigor's book, "20 small boats to take you anywhere. Cape Dory also made a 22 and a 25, not 'D', outboard instead of diesel.
You are very correct in not wanting to mess with the Gulf Stream in the boats you listed.

Happy hunting

Randy Cape Dory 25D Seraph #161
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2006, 08:32   #4

Thanks for the great replys!

I took a look at the website you suggested, lots of good info.

RTBates

I really like your suggestion about the Cape Dory, and you present a great idea for taking any 'smallish' sailboat and trailering it.

A few questions though, do you have a hard time finding a slip where that will work? It seems that it would be hard to launch, and even harder to get the boat back on the trailer.

Where did you get a trailer that would work for your boat? Did you have it built. Or is it the trailer back to keep your boat out of the water during winter (in cold climates).

Thanks
Old 16-08-2006, 09:46   #5

Boat: C&C 27
Seaward Sailboats
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2006, 13:38   #6

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Each of the last 3 years in the Bahamas we have seen Corsair F27's. They are incredably fast and folks are staying on the weeks at a time. Don't know what your comfort requirements are, but we're it me, I would at least take a look at one.

http://www.corsairtri.com/f27page.html

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2006, 15:11   #7

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimes

I know of a few trailerable boats, such as 22 Catalina, MacGregor's, South Coast...that's really about it. But I don't think I'd feel comfortable in any of those boats crossing the Gulf to the Bahama's. I know I could carefully watch my weather window's but I rather be safer than sorry.
I'm not a MacGregor fan but there's usually a couple of them cruising the Exumas every winter and they get there on their own bottoms.
Old 16-08-2006, 18:50   #8

I love the idea of those seawards, they look like a great and innovative design. I'd like to take a sail on one and see how they sail. They are really a "big" small boat w/ diesel engine, hot and cold water and so forth.

I also like the corsair, the idea of a nice fast passage across the gulf to the bahamas sounds great. But are they built for that type of work?
Old 17-08-2006, 00:16   #9

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
A Gulf Stream crossing can be really bad and most people cross during the best of weather. Once started, you will soon know how bad the stream is and can turn back. If you get into it with a boat that is in need of repair it could get very bad.

$ 40K is enough to buy a New Macgreggor 26M. It will get you across at 8 mph in good conditions (15 mph in the most ideal conditions).

I realize that everybody has there ideal boat. Just be sure of what you get into. All the cost (replacement items included) to make it a trouble free (not having a lot of things break) cruise or crossing.

I crossed to Bimini in late May in great conditions and the returned was even better. Motored the entire way. 4 Mac's went, 2 - 26M's and 2 - 25D's.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2006, 05:18   #10

Lynx,

All good points. Unfortunately every newbie is bombarded with advice that you MUST have a bullet proof "bluewater" (whatever that is) boat to go cruising. Yes, you must have an Oyster 65! The seaworthiness of any vessel is a factor but prudent seamanship is also required. It's not just the boat, it's the boat and the sailor. I would not choose a small MacGregor, being older and leaning more towards creature comforts, but, in my view, cruising the Bahamas in a MacGregor 26 would be fine. Apparently this is also the view of those MacGregor owners out doing it. I bet if these owners had listened to the "experts" they'd still be sitting in front of their computers!
Old 17-08-2006, 07:55   #11

Good times

Launching and retrieving Seraph is a piece of cake. I unhook the trailer from my truck and attach a 20' length of chain between the trailer and the truck. Retrieval is made easy by the use of 'guide poles' made of pvc pipe that stick above the water at the trailer's stern. Once started a keel guide keeps her straight. Yes it is more work than a Catalina 25 or MacGregor, but then again I get to sail a Cape Dory NOT either of the former. Yes, you can cross the gulf stream in a catalina or mac. In 1981 I crossed from Miami to Bimini in a San Juan 21. Webb Chiles crossed the Pacific in an open Drascomb Lugger. But I wouldn't do it again unless that was the only boat I could get. I find that having a boat that can take whatever comes, very reassuring. Russian roulette is not my game and the ocean can be very very cruel to the unprepared or the over optimistic.

The trailer came with Seraph and was professionally built.
Old 17-08-2006, 08:09   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates
Launching and retrieving Seraph is a piece of cake. I unhook the trailer from my truck and attach a 20' length of chain between the trailer and the truck.
How do you then back this rig down the ramp?
Old 17-08-2006, 10:46   #13

Boat: Sceptre 41
I use the same method with my Capri 22 (fin keel) All you need to do is to put a wheel on the front of the trailer. The best trailers -- designed for this type of launching have a spare tire for the trailer monted on the "Y" of the trailer tongue and all you have to do is remove a pin and turn the wheel and then stick another pin in the tube steel when the wheel is perpindicuilar to the ground lower the adjustable wheel till the spare hits the ground and the trailer will roll on her own. It takes some time but is not hard. The most difficult part is setting up a system of chocks spo that your keel is guided to the same place on the trailer every time.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2006, 13:39   #14

How do you then back this rig down the ramp?

I just back the truck down the ramp and let gravity roll the trailer down ahead. The trailer must be CHOCKED before it is taken off the truck and hooked to the chain. Since it's a gooseneck I have a very wide base up front with two jacks with wheels set one on each side so it tracks very straight. My last boat had a conventional trailer with one wheel in the center and usually required someone to push or pull from side to side to keep it tracking straight down the ramp.
Old 23-08-2006, 16:51   #15

for Goodtimes

You wrote
Quote:
I really like your suggestion about the Cape Dory, and you present a great idea for taking any 'smallish' sailboat and trailering it.

A few questions though, do you have a hard time finding a slip where that will work? It seems that it would be hard to launch, and even harder to get the boat back on the trailer.

Where did you get a trailer that would work for your boat? Did you have it built. Or is it the trailer back to keep your boat out of the water during winter (in cold climates).
Well it does take a ramp with at least 3.5 feet of water (Seraph's draft) but most ramps I've found have at least that. The trailer came with Seraph. BUT, my last boat came w/o a trailer so I bought a 30' trailer that had a power boat setup and modified it by adding bunk boards and keel supports. There are several good books out that detail this and other aspects of trailering.

We sail 12 months a year in Texas.