Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2017, 16:37   #1

Time To Go

Two year plan turned into a three year plan into a yadda yadda yadda. Got sick of living aboard in the winter in NYC so moved south about a year ago.

Wouldn't even want to know the total number of hours I have spent previously over the past few years fixing/upgrading our mid-eighties production boat but will say I have spent pretty much eight hours a day for the last three months working on finishing off the major projects. Don't worry, still have plenty of minor projects left for when we get to those exotic locations.

Lot's of "how much does it cost" threads out there. Can't say I have ever seen one about how much TIME does it take. Unless you have money to burn and can buy a plug and play "blue water ready" (sneering at the term) you should expect to burn a decent chunk of your life getting ready. Don't underestimate it if you are serious about going. Life is short.

Just saying.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1125.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	139527  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 18:03   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Time To Go

You got that right!

"So many islands, so little time."

Ann
Old 12-01-2017, 18:23   #3

Boat: Westsail 28

Although we have never done it , take off cruising . Cruising for me would be but not limited to head out turn left to Cabo turn right to Hawaii , you get the picture . Cruising to me is not hoping over to Catalina for a couple of weeks , but it sure is fun . But I digress , many times I have heard and read " I should have just left , I didn't need that extra 4 yr. refit that cost 10K".
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 22:09   #4

Mark, a 4 yr. re-fit that only cost $10,000 should have been complete in 3-6 moonths! Something else was happening there!

Ann
Old 13-01-2017, 11:40   #5

Boat: Westsail 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Mark, a 4 yr. re-fit that only cost $10,000 should have been complete in 3-6 moonths! Something else was happening there!

Ann
Yes Ann , my $math to work ratio needs a refit haha .
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 11:47   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Two year plan turned into a three year plan into a yadda yadda yadda. Got sick of living aboard in the winter in NYC so moved south about a year ago.

Wouldn't even want to know the total number of hours I have spent previously over the past few years fixing/upgrading our mid-eighties production boat but will say I have spent pretty much eight hours a day for the last three months working on finishing off the major projects. Don't worry, still have plenty of minor projects left for when we get to those exotic locations.

Lot's of "how much does it cost" threads out there. Can't say I have ever seen one about how much TIME does it take. Unless you have money to burn and can buy a plug and play "blue water ready" (sneering at the term) you should expect to burn a decent chunk of your life getting ready. Don't underestimate it if you are serious about going. Life is short.

Just saying.
Try not to deal with the facts, it upsets the dreamers.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 11:58   #7

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

We're in the "same boat" as it were. Really thought it would be about 6-9 months and about $40K. HAH. But, the last things to do are heat exchanger, new hoses and belts, then haul - bottom job and depth sounder and we're going.

But..... instead of Vanuatu, it'll be a 2-4 week hop to the San Juans to see what breaks. Then perhaps around Vancouver to learn more about the boat. Then north of Desolation Sound. We have learned the hard way to take this huge job in consumable bites. This almost became the divorce boat last year because of unrealistic expectations on both our parts, but it didn't.

I would never take on a job of this magnitude again. I'm happy we've come through it and we aren't broke (yet) and in many ways we are a stronger couple for it, but the test on time, money and relationship was pretty difficult.

But that being said, I simply can't wait to get out there. Many jobs unfinished but I don't care. If the major systems are working and safe, I don't care about 30 year Herculon on the settees. I used to care about that....
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 15:05   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
We're in the "same boat" as it were. Really thought it would be about 6-9 months and about $40K. HAH. But, the last things to do are heat exchanger, new hoses and belts, then haul - bottom job and depth sounder and we're going.

But..... instead of Vanuatu, it'll be a 2-4 week hop to the San Juans to see what breaks. Then perhaps around Vancouver to learn more about the boat. Then north of Desolation Sound. We have learned the hard way to take this huge job in consumable bites. This almost became the divorce boat last year because of unrealistic expectations on both our parts, but it didn't.

I would never take on a job of this magnitude again. I'm happy we've come through it and we aren't broke (yet) and in many ways we are a stronger couple for it, but the test on time, money and relationship was pretty difficult. Now, there's a graphic warning for newbies!

But that being said, I simply can't wait to get out there. Many jobs unfinished but I don't care. If the major systems are working and safe, I don't care about 30 year Herculon on the settees. I used to care about that.... Yes, it is a process, and changes in your ideas are normal. You can cover the settees with the least expensive tropical cotton print cloth, and many yachties did that, you get it at the Chinese store in French Polynesia. Pre-shrink it before use. It's very washable, so use zips. What I'm saying is that other times for job lists will present themselves, and you may even find shortish projects for days when the weather is unpropitious for having fun.

Redhead, you've worked really hard for this, and I hope your first cruise sees nothing serious breaking, and you having the time of your lives. Fair winds,

Ann