Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2014, 04:08   #91

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
Re: Taking a Shotgun to Bahamas from US and Back

good god. he brings a gun so he can "pistol whip" people in the fish market?
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 02:08   #92

Boat: Hunter 27

I have a question. I am pro gun but the worst of the Bahamas is better than most places I work in the US. My concern is Miami waiting for a window. I am assuming the there are insane amounts of Law enforcement agencies on the water like here in Detroit. I carry here but leave it in the car when I sail because of being in Canadian waters half the time. I would not want to have to deal with the b.s. if I ever had to land on the Canada side. So my question is do most people feel safe around Miami? I was thinking of doing the same down there when I cross.
The weather and reefs scare me more than criminals. The me in way to stay safe is to be alert. Weapons can be made from anything. I.e. rolled up news paper, ink pen, but being on guard is first. I have known more than one person robbed while armed.

Sent from my Huawei Y301A1 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
campuscab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 02:19   #93

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Gosh do peeps really take guns on holiday

I thought the Royal Navy crushed the last of the pirates in the Carribean 200 years ago.

Pete
Attached Images

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 02:29   #94
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Gosh do peeps really take guns on holiday

I thought the Royal Navy crushed the last of the pirates in the Carribean 200 years ago.

Pete
LOL Pete.
There is a different mindset in the USA. I took the Concealed Carry exam whilst living in Florida. It is a way of life and sadly, in some cases/places a realistic necessity.

Its not pirates you have to worry about...... its your neighbour on crack.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 02:44   #95
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Its not pirates you have to worry about...... its your neighbour on crack.

Does everyone in the US live in a drug ghetto ? , in my neighbourhood the most dangerous thing is probably my neighbours home made wine !

Dave
Old 15-05-2014, 02:46   #96
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Does everyone in the US live in a drug ghetto ? , in my neighbourhood the most dangerous thing is probably my neighbours home made wine !

Dave
Neighour is generic. Not local.
Old 15-05-2014, 03:00   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
good god. he brings a gun so he can "pistol whip" people in the fish market?
NO. He brings a gun to keep his wife from being raped.

Don't cherrypick !

"The best cure for sea sickness, is to sit under a tree."
~Spike Milligan.
.............."Life's not fair, and people don't act right"~Me.........
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 03:02   #98
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
NO. He brings a gun to keep his wife from being raped.

Don't cherrypick !

I guy hassles his wife and he needs a gun ?

Dave
Old 15-05-2014, 03:09   #99
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I find the posts in this thread shameful. All that just to try to kill a gun thread? Talking about others wives being raped?! Also really insulting to those who have lost family or friends to Caribbean pirate attacks. Y'all should delete your posts and stay away from these threads.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 03:17   #100
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Simmons View Post
A friend of my mother's was raped in the Bahamas, in the condo just above the one we were staying in at the time.

Feeling safe is because you learn how to deal with 8ft waves and the like. Yet you don't want to deal with rapists. Seems like a double standard.
Im extremely sorry for her pain and suffering.

In the event, a weapon would not have been permitted in the Bahamas. It would have been locked on board the boat. The weapon is for protection in a specific situation and location, ie the boat.

I have no answers for self protection given the requirements of the current law on land. It is troubling.

2007 UN report pinpointed St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) as having the third highest number of reported rapes in the world.

In 2011, the rate of rapes per 100,000 inhabitants in SVG was 51.21, compared to 30.8 in the Bahamas and 29.6 in Jamaica.
Old 15-05-2014, 03:22   #101
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I find the posts in this thread shameful. All that just to try to kill a gun thread? Talking about others wives being raped?! Also really insulting to those who have lost family or friends to Caribbean pirate attacks. Y'all should delete your posts and stay away from these threads.

I think you miss the point Nick, The general response was to the person that related considering pistol whipping some guy in a fish market with "seemingly" some troubling facial deformity

Thats a bit different from the cases you mentioned, where having a firearm on board MAY and I stress may, have been some use.

And please "Y'all" from a Dutchman!.

dave
Old 15-05-2014, 03:41   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I think you miss the point Nick, The general response was to the person that related considering pistol whipping some guy in a fish market with "seemingly" some troubling facial deformity

Thats a bit different from the cases you mentioned, where having a firearm on board MAY and I stress may, have been some use.

And please "Y'all" from a Dutchman!.

dave

Did you cheery pick just a little ?

"The only place you would ever need a gun in the Bahamas is if you go to Nassau. I had to pull my pistol on some drunk there who accosted my wife at the morning fish market. His face looked like cauliflower he was so diseased with some nightmare illness. There was a cop right there and he didn't even get out of his car. I would have never shot the idiot. It was more of a preparation for pistol whipping him. Didn't want to catch whatever awful disease he had by punching him in the head. But had I not been there I'm sure a rape or something would have occurred." quoting Aslan

~Spike Milligan.
Old 15-05-2014, 03:45   #103
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
But had I not been there I'm sure a rape or something would have occurred."
how is he "sure"

dave
Old 15-05-2014, 03:45   #104
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Need a hug?

American law at present allows weapons to be carried concealed or otherwise in the USA, and international law extends the courtesy to vessels out of the USA excepting where countries state otherwise.

The option to carry a weapon in the Bahamas is limited to the VESSEL.

As a CCW, I find it outrageous that one poster here brags about carrying a weapon in another country and beating someone with it. Brags about showing a person that he carries a weapon. In the States, you would be ARRESTED as a CCW for showing your weapon in public because it is meant to be concealed.*
If and when this person is arrested by the Bahamians, he will bleat and cry that an injustice has been perpertrated. IT has not. He is a man looking for a fight.

Let me tell you of a colleagues issue. He had befriended a single man and over the course of time, talk had turned to weapons, and my colleague had shown this man his hand gun. Later that year, this man had made unwelcomed advances on my colleagues girlfriend. He was told he was no longer welcome in their house.

Later that day, 4 police officers turned up to arrest my colleague, as a claim had been made by this man that he had been threatened by a drawn weapon and had described the weapon EXACTLY as to make and model. The police stood there with weapons ready and asked my colleague if he was carrying a weapon. He replied yes and they asked him to face the wall and handcuffed him and then retrieved the weapon. On looking at the weapon, they noticed it was NOT the weapon described, simply because a month earlier he had sold it at a gunshop and bought another. The other guy was arrested.

However.... if it HAD been the same gun, my colleague would have been in jail. NEVER tell or display your weapon.

4. DISPLAY YOUR WEAPON, GO TO JAIL.
You should expect to be arrested by police at gunpoint, and be charged with a crime anytime your concealed handgun is seen by another citizen in public, regardless of how unintentional, innocent, or justified the situation might seem.

Choose a method of carry that reliably keeps your gun hidden from public view at all times. You have no control over how a stranger will react to seeing (or learning about) your concealed weapon. He of she might become alarmed and report you as a "man or woman with a gun".

Depending on his or her feelings about firearms, this person might maliciously embellish their story in an attempt to have your gun seized by police or in order to get you arrested. Even though your jacket only blew open for a moment, giving a brief glimpse of your gun, that person may tell the police that you were waving it around like a homicidal maniac. An alarmed citizen who reports a "man or woman with a gun" is going to be a lot more credible to police than you are when you are stopped because you match the "suspect's" description and you are found to have a concealed handgun in your possession.

Before you deliberately expose your gun in public, ask yourself "is this worth going to jail for?" The only time this question should warrant a "yes" response is when an adversary has at least both the ABILITY and INTENT and is actively seeking the OPPORTUNITY to do you great harm.

Also, remember that proper concealment of a weapon is more than just covering it up so that it is not physically visible. You want to remove as much as possible any signs that you are armed. For example, you would not wear a tight T-shirt that shows the lines of your gun printing through it, especially if that T-shirt has a firearm related logo or statement on it. Also, a black nylon fanny-pack or a photographer's vest may, in certain areas or in certain modes of dress tell any half-educated person that you are packing a gun.

It is also not usually a very good idea to let too many people know that you carry a gun. This fact should be limited to your immediate family and select friends who are "gun people" also. Please, for your sake and the sake of others around you - be discreet!
Old 15-05-2014, 03:57   #105

Different states have different rules, and regs..
Here in Indiana my " License To Carry Handgun"
allows both concealed, and open carry.
Also reciprocal in many other states.

Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Need a hug?

American law at present allows weapons to be carried concealed or otherwise in the USA, and international law extends the courtesy to vessels out of the USA excepting where countries state otherwise.

The option to carry a weapon in the Bahamas is limited to the VESSEL.

As a CCW, I find it outrageous that one poster here brags about carrying a weapon in another country and beating someone with it. Brags about showing a person that he carries a weapon. In the States, you would be ARRESTED as a CCW for showing your weapon in public because it is meant to be concealed.*
If and when this person is arrested by the Bahamians, he will bleat and cry that an injustice has been perpertrated. IT has not. He is a man looking for a fight.

Let me tell you of a colleagues issue. He had befriended a single man and over the course of time, talk had turned to weapons, and my colleague had shown this man his hand gun. Later that year, this man had made unwelcomed advances on my colleagues girlfriend. He was told he was no longer welcome in their house.

Later that day, 4 police officers turned up to arrest my colleague, as a claim had been made by this man that he had been threatened by a drawn weapon and had described the weapon EXACTLY as to make and model. The police stood there with weapons ready and asked my colleague if he was carrying a weapon. He replied yes and they asked him to face the wall and handcuffed him and then retrieved the weapon. On looking at the weapon, they noticed it was NOT the weapon described, simply because a month earlier he had sold it at a gunshop and bought another. The other guy was arrested.

However.... if it HAD been the same gun, my colleague would have been in jail. NEVER tell or display your weapon.

4. DISPLAY YOUR WEAPON, GO TO JAIL.
You should expect to be arrested by police at gunpoint, and be charged with a crime anytime your concealed handgun is seen by another citizen in public, regardless of how unintentional, innocent, or justified the situation might seem.

Choose a method of carry that reliably keeps your gun hidden from public view at all times. You have no control over how a stranger will react to seeing (or learning about) your concealed weapon. He of she might become alarmed and report you as a "man or woman with a gun".

Depending on his or her feelings about firearms, this person might maliciously embellish their story in an attempt to have your gun seized by police or in order to get you arrested. Even though your jacket only blew open for a moment, giving a brief glimpse of your gun, that person may tell the police that you were waving it around like a homicidal maniac. An alarmed citizen who reports a "man or woman with a gun" is going to be a lot more credible to police than you are when you are stopped because you match the "suspect's" description and you are found to have a concealed handgun in your possession.

Before you deliberately expose your gun in public, ask yourself "is this worth going to jail for?" The only time this question should warrant a "yes" response is when an adversary has at least both the ABILITY and INTENT and is actively seeking the OPPORTUNITY to do you great harm.

Also, remember that proper concealment of a weapon is more than just covering it up so that it is not physically visible. You want to remove as much as possible any signs that you are armed. For example, you would not wear a tight T-shirt that shows the lines of your gun printing through it, especially if that T-shirt has a firearm related logo or statement on it. Also, a black nylon fanny-pack or a photographer's vest may, in certain areas or in certain modes of dress tell any half-educated person that you are packing a gun.

It is also not usually a very good idea to let too many people know that you carry a gun. This fact should be limited to your immediate family and select friends who are "gun people" also. Please, for your sake and the sake of others around you - be discreet!

~Spike Milligan.

Tags
Bahamas